View Full Version : battery replacement - 3955. Any way to "hot swap" ?

BobCT
09-28-2006, 02:47 PM
the battery on my 3955 is starting to show signs of needing replacement. I did this once before on my first Ipaq (3800 ?).

Is there any way to swap the batteries (quickly) w/o having to reinstall everything ? Any suggestions on the best battery to get ?

thks,
Bob

martin_ayton
09-28-2006, 06:21 PM
I don't have an iPAQ, but I have hot-swapped batteries on an Xda2s by leaving the AC power supply connected while I took the battery out. Can you do that on your 3955?

Brad Adrian
09-28-2006, 10:32 PM
One: Changing batteries with the AC cord plugged in is risky, especially with a device that's not really designed for hot-swapping. I'm not so much worried about you getting hurt as I am you frying your device's innards.

B: Since you're not changing any part of the operating system or files during this process, a backup and restore should work pretty cleanly, eliminating any kind of lengthy re-installation if your device does reset.

III: I haven't done any kind of comparisons of battery quality among sources, but I've had success with replacements from batteries.com and batteryvalues.com.

Others here might have some specific things to look for when shopping for a battery, because I know quality can vary widely.

BoxWave
09-29-2006, 09:01 PM
I don't have an iPAQ, but I have hot-swapped batteries on an Xda2s by leaving the AC power supply connected while I took the battery out. Can you do that on your 3955?

Brad gives some good advice, I wouldn't recommend a hot swap unless you're willing to bet the boat.

martin_ayton
10-02-2006, 09:49 AM
One: Changing batteries with the AC cord plugged in is risky, especially with a device that's not really designed for hot-swapping. I'm not so much worried about you getting hurt as I am you frying your device's innards.

That's the advantage of being naive and ignorant: You get to do potentially risky stuff whilst being blissfully unaware of the potential consequences :oops: . BobCT, I apologise for the bad advice and thank you, Brad, for the gentlest of corrections - I won't be trying that trick again.

Cybrid
10-02-2006, 05:13 PM
The 3955 has the Ipaq backup by Sprite. Backup and replace the battery. A restore will bring it back to normal. Did this successfully with the similar 3660

freemans
10-02-2006, 11:39 PM
I have Sprite version 3.1.4 retial version, it will trigger when the battery level drops to 30% to avoid data loss. It is a pretty handy yet safe solution for WM 2003 device :roll: