View Full Version : How do i use UPnP with Pocket Player 3?

Joelacrane
09-28-2006, 05:47 AM
I downloaded and installed the UPnP pluging for Pocket Player 3, along with Windows Media Connect. I started folder sharing and shared my folders, and Pocket Player pops up in WMC. I allowed it to connect.

Now, i have absolutely no clue what to do. Turning on WiFi and going to Network just yeilds "No results".

So... uh... what do i do?

Jason Patterson
09-28-2006, 04:57 PM
Joelacrane,

We can likely better debug this problem if you send an email to [email protected]. Are you connected to your desktop at the same time as you are connected to WiFi? What's the name of your device in Start > Settings > System > About > Device ID?

Having it pop up "No results" is a result of WM5's inability to connect to a local webserver (which is how our UPnP interface works). This shouldn't be happening if you have your WiFi on. What do you have set in Start > Settings > Connections > Network Cards, under "My network card connects to:"?

At the very least (even if you don't have WMC running), the UPnP interface should have "Settings" and "Rescan network" listed.

Joelacrane
09-28-2006, 06:50 PM
I tried using AS and WiFi at the same time, and it does give me a couple of options, along with two devices. However, neither of the MAC addresses belong to my laptop.

My network card connects to the internet. I can still access shared folders on my WLAN though.

The Device name is WM_Joel_Crane1, but now that i know where it is, i'll probably change it to something cooler sounding.

Jason Patterson
09-28-2006, 06:55 PM
The MAC addresses might not be the laptop itself - it might be the virtual network adapter that AS4 uses.

Did it ever give you a Windows Media Connect item on your desktop?

Joelacrane
09-29-2006, 02:18 AM
Yup, and i even changed my pocket pc's name to to PocketPC and the moment that WiFi connected, the name changed automatically in the list. Still says No results though, even when i specify "Work" in the network cards app.

Jason Patterson
11-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Greetings,

We have released Pocket Player 3.01 and an update to the UPnP plugin that enables support on PPC2002 devices, and fixes all known bugs in the software.

Joelacrane
11-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Sweet. I'll get it tonight and try it.

Joelacrane
11-02-2006, 06:23 AM
I have dail-up at home, and i've tried to download it 3 times. First, it failed when firefox told me that the source file was corrupt of something, and then i tried again and it downloaded, but then the installer crashed saying that the file was corrupt. The file was only 2.2mb, not the full 2.6mb. I just tried again and it was almost half way through when firefox once again reported a problem and stopped the download.

Hmm.

Joelacrane
11-02-2006, 07:10 AM
ok, I downloaded the Cab and installed it. UPnP still doesn't work. oh well. It's still worth $20!

Jason Patterson
11-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Make sure to download the new 1.1 version of the UPnP plugin from:

http://www.conduits.com/products/player/plugins.asp

The 3.01 installer doesn't include it by default.

Joelacrane
11-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Still doesn't work.

Jason Patterson
11-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Does 'Network' show up? What happens when you select it?

Would you like to try debugging this situation with the help of a Logfile that can be created by the UPnP plugin? By using a registry editor such as the free one from www.phm.lu, you can navigate to:

HKCU\Software\Pocket Player\Plugins\gen_upnp

There, edit the 'LogToFile' value (or create a new DWORD value with that name) and set it to '1'. Then restart Pocket Player and it will create a pair of log files in your root folder on the device (UPnPLog.txt and UPnPXML.txt). Please try navigating to your files, and when it unsucessfully navigates there, exit out of Pocket Player and attach the txt files to an email reply to [email protected].

Joelacrane
11-03-2006, 07:08 PM
The hourglass just spins for about 15 seconds and then it just says nothing. My only choice is to go back.

It does show up on Windows Media Connect, everything looks perfectely normal there.

When I have some time, I'll go get that registry editor and follow your instructions. I will most likely do that tomorrow (Saturday).

Jason Patterson
11-03-2006, 07:16 PM
Also, can you try the following. Start up Pocket Player and go into Browse, and verify that Network is listed (don'tselect it).

Now, launch Pocket Internet explorer, and try to pull up the following URLs. For the example below, whatever you have set in Start > Settings > System > About > Device ID is what I'm referring to as "Pocket_PC". Also, 192.168.0.101 is what I'm referring to as your local IP that your wireless card is currently using.

http://localhost:51523/
http://127.0.0.1:51523/
http://Pocket_PC:51523/
http://192.168.0.101:51523/

Do any of those pull up XML data? From our testing, it seemed that WM5 devices always work off of the device id, while 2003 devices want the IP.

Joelacrane
11-11-2006, 07:03 AM
Yes, it bring up XML code. My laptop wont though.

Jason Patterson
11-21-2006, 10:33 PM
Yes, it bring up XML code. My laptop wont though.
Joel, please email us at [email protected]. Please include a reference to this thread, as well as your device make and model, and which URL(s) pulled up data in your test.