View Full Version : Ipaq 3950: problem uninstalling pgm, how to delete files?

bernie01
09-27-2006, 12:42 PM
Hello folks,
just bought an Ipaq 3950 (my first PDA) and have no manual. I installed a program and am now trying to remove it but when I do so it tells me I cant
because certain files (in /Windows/fonts) are "in use or read only". It tells me to go:
Start>Settings>System tab> Memory>Running programs> Stop all, which I did, then try again, same result.
So I thought one option is to delete them but.......... I cant figure out how to delete a file! When I go to the 'edit' function in File Explorer the only options are 'Select All' and New Folder'............. no 'Delete'.
How can I uninstall this pgm or delete or make the font files not read only?
Also, another little issue, somehow the screen background changed from a blue to a red hue? How do I go back to blue or whatever the default is?
Thanks, Bernie.

JesterMania
09-27-2006, 03:02 PM
To delete a file, tap and hold on the file until a context menu pops up, then select Delete. If you're trying to remove fonts from tne \Windows\fonts folder, they may be in use by the system. In that case, rename the font (ensuring that the extension is changed also - for example .ttf to something else) and soft-reset. Then, you can remove the font.

Brad Adrian
09-27-2006, 03:36 PM
BTW, you can get copies of the documentation that originally was on a CD that shipped with the device here:

Getting Started Guide
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/download/15278.html
Reference Guide (manual for Pocket PC 2002)
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/download/15279.html

ctmagnus
09-28-2006, 03:53 AM
Regarding the fonts, you'll have to go into \Windows\Fonts, rename the files in question, and do a soft-reset before Windows will let you remove them.

bernie01
09-28-2006, 08:31 AM
Thanks guys;
I was able to remove the fonts without renaming them, and a quick read of the manual pointed out how to change the backgound ( I had inadvertantly set it to 'Fire' in /Start/Settings/Today).
Regards, Bernie.