View Full Version : Dopod 838Pro - Problematic Set

affandi
09-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Hi all, recently I bought Dopod 838 Pro and thought I wud not have any prob but I did. I have abt 4,000 contacts and the unit is not able to handle such large contacts :(. Talked to Dopod but nothing much they can do as it is WM5 prob. Anyone face the same prob ? Anyone can assist to rectify this prob?

BoxWave
09-29-2006, 11:01 PM
4,000 contacts? thats a lot. What were you using before? You could try saving them to a memory card.

angler
09-30-2006, 04:03 AM
4,000 contacts? thats a lot. What were you using before? You could try saving them to a memory card.
How to save the contact in memory card?

affandi
09-30-2006, 04:33 AM
Yes, I do have that many contacts. Previously, I have been using O2 XDA IIs and they were indeed ok except that I do face "hangs" frequently when using sms.
So when I bought Dopod, they claimed that as long as Microsoft Outlook can handle, the unit will be able to handle. That's why I bought the set. Only now, they told me about the lacking in WM5 platform.
Btw, I do not have problem in sync with PC. Only when I use the contacts, that's where the problem starts.

How can we save contacts to our memory card ?

Nurhisham Hussein
09-30-2006, 02:16 PM
How can we save contacts to our memory card ?

You can't, boxwave was mistaken.

affandi
10-03-2006, 01:58 AM
Is there any 3rd party software that can resolve this problem ?
Btw, Has anyone use O2 Stealth ? Any comments ? Is "hang" a prominent problem also ? I'm looking for a close to perfect PDA Phone. Any recommendations ?

Nurhisham Hussein
10-03-2006, 02:22 AM
I have abt 4,000 contacts and the unit is not able to handle such large contacts :(.

Let's go back to your inital problem here - 4000 contacts, while a lot, is weel within the scope of the device. Can you describe your problem in more detail, rather than just "can't handle" it? Is it a problem with syncing?

affandi
10-03-2006, 05:06 AM
Thanks and let me elaborate the problem.

1. 4,000 contacts were successfully sync from Microsoft Outlook 2003 to Dopod 838Pro. No problem.
2. When you use the stylus and point at contact at the screen, the contacts list will appear perfectly ok either (view by name or company).
3. View by Name : You can use the manual scroller and also the stylus to view any contact from the list either by pointing at the alphabet header (#ab; cde; fgh; etc) or scroll with the stylus. No problem.
4. View by Company : THIS IS THE PROBLEM. When you use the manual scroller or the stylus to scroll down, it will immediately "bounced back" to the 1st company name on the list. You can't get the unit to show the contact that you want. Even if you type the name of the company at the top search header, it will just hang....If you use the stylus to point at the alphabet header, it will also hang again.

It only works if you set the view by name and not by company. Felt strange about it. The prob of view by name can be difficult if you know the person more by the name of company. This is my dilemna. Hope this clarifies.

Nurhisham Hussein
10-03-2006, 06:00 AM
It only works if you set the view by name and not by company. Felt strange about it. The prob of view by name can be difficult if you know the person more by the name of company. This is my dilemna. Hope this clarifies.

Yes, that helps - it's a far cry from saying the device doesn't handle large numbers of contacts though!

Are you using Pocket Outlook, or some other PIM manager? Have you tried a hard reset yet?

affandi
10-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Yes, currently Dopod 838Pro can't handle large contacts in comparison with my O2 Xda IIs (prior to Dopod) having the same number of contacts. The later only having hangs @sms level.

I'm using personal computer Microsoft Outlook (not Pocket Outlook) and not using any other PIM manager. Also, I had done few times hard reset. Still the same problem occurs. Even Dopod service centre can't resolve....

I could have just stayed on with my O2 Xda IIs till a nearly to perfect device is available in the market.

What are you currently having ?

Nurhisham Hussein
10-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Yes, currently Dopod 838Pro can't handle large contacts in comparison with my O2 Xda IIs (prior to Dopod) having the same number of contacts. The later only having hangs @sms level.

What you have is a problem with sorting through company names - as I said, thats a far cry from not being able to handle many contacts at all.

I'm using personal computer Microsoft Outlook (not Pocket Outlook) and not using any other PIM manager.

What you have on your PDA is Pocket Outlook...

Give a try to Pocket Informant (http://www.mobihand.com/pocketpcthoughts/product.asp?id=1025) or Agenda Fusion (http://www.mobihand.com/pocketpcthoughts/product.asp?id=420) - both are miles better than the default Pocket Outlook. I've never actually used Pocket Outlook at all - it's been PI all the way for me.

I could have just stayed on with my O2 Xda IIs till a nearly to perfect device is available in the market. What are you currently having ?

Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox 720 - to me this is the perfect device.

affandi
10-04-2006, 02:58 AM
Thanks for yr input. I'm trying out the Pocket Informant. Hope it may solve the prob (trying my luck)...

affandi
10-05-2006, 04:30 AM
Hi Hisham,
I have installed the trial version of Pocket Informant and so far, it looks like its working perfectly alright. I just need to get myself familiarise with the settings and commands. Thanks for yr input. It's a great help !!!

Is there any quicker way of learning how to use PI ? Apparently, the fonts on the screen are pretty small.

Nurhisham Hussein
10-05-2006, 05:07 AM
Thanks for yr input. It's a great help !!!

You're welcome - I've always felt PI to be worthwhile getting, despite the price tag. I suspect that your original problem is you've got something in the company field that Pocket Outlook doesn't like, or there's something lost in the syncing process that screwed up the works.

Is there any quicker way of learning how to use PI ? Apparently, the fonts on the screen are pretty small.

Not really - there's just so much you can do with this application that it takes a while to get it the way you want to. But then, that's half the fun isn't it?

For fonts, you can change the individual font sizes in each view through the Settings screen (PI symbol->Settings->Interface Icon at the top), or through the "Customize this view..." command through the menus at the bottom.

affandi
10-05-2006, 07:46 AM
Ya, I'm getting slowly the hang of it and you are right. Exploring PI itself is fun but as long as it gives me what I'm looking for, I'll be very happy.

The technical people at Dopod advised me that there is no 3rd party software that can manage the contacts. Very weird !! Without this forum, I will not be able to resolve my problem. Thanks to Hisham...

affandi
10-07-2006, 06:28 AM
Has anyone used SPB Diary ? How does this compared to PIM ?

Nurhisham Hussein
10-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Has anyone used SPB Diary ? How does this compared to PIM ?

SPB Diary (and Pocket Breeze) is not a PIM - it's a plugin to display your PIM information on the today screen.

affandi
10-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Hisham,
Thanks for the input. SPB looks like PIM software. So far, yr recommended PIM works well on contacts @4,000 nos. How do you set the Today Screen to PIM ?

Nurhisham Hussein
10-08-2006, 03:04 PM
How do you set the Today Screen to PIM ?

:lol: That's what SPB Diary and Pocket Breeze are for - PI doesn't have a today plugin!

affandi
10-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Hisham,
Pocket Informant is great !!! So, it does resolve my prob of managing 4000 contacts. Thanks to you. :D

Any other softwares that you would recommend "MUST HAVE" for PDA phone on Pocket PC Windows ?

Nurhisham Hussein
10-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Phonealarm (http://www.mobihand.com/pocketpcthoughts/product.asp?id=1848) gets a lot of recommendations for PPC phone devices - it adds profile management, among other things.

affandi
10-17-2006, 03:54 AM
Thanks Hisham, I will check it out.
So far, Pocket Informant works well and it's great.

affandi
10-26-2006, 08:56 AM
How do you add contacts to Speed Dial using Pocket Informant. Tried all the menu but can't find any ?

Nurhisham Hussein
10-26-2006, 10:43 AM
How do you add contacts to Speed Dial using Pocket Informant. Tried all the menu but can't find any ?

I have no idea, sorry - I don't use a PDA phone, so stuff like this is a little beyond me. Maybe someone else can chip in? You might also want to open a new topic on this question - more people will see and respond to it that way.