View Full Version : Getting bored of PDAs

hdsalinas
09-26-2006, 12:29 AM
Hi

I purchased my first pda in 2000 (palm III) and I am now on my 4 one (hp 1940 - 3 or 4 years old, dont remember well). During the first few years I used my PDAs a lot. I encoded DVDs into my PocketPCs, transfer mp3, avantgoed, used wireless internet thorugh wifi and bluetooth and visited this forum about every 5 minutes looking for exciting news.
I was pretty much a power user.

But now days, my ipaq stays at home a lot. The days that I do carry it around I dont even turn it on once. In fact, I cant remember the last time I made a post in this forum. I dont have more than two or three applications installed on my pocket pc and have lots of free memory -it used to be packed with programs and files before.

I dont even know what is the latest version of the Windows Mobile OS. I got burned with PDAs that were not upgradeable just because the manufactures decided not to offer upgrades.

I am also switching to Mac (getting tired of windows too) and maybe I will end up getting a palm based treo, who knows.

I guess that if I ever get another PDA it will have to be a cell phone too.

SteveHoward999
09-26-2006, 02:15 AM
I know what's wrong.

You are turning into your grandad.

applejosh
09-26-2006, 03:01 AM
While not quite as bad, I guess I'm starting to trend that way. I use my PDA's for less and less. It's mostly an electronic daytimer any more. I do still do the email thing, but the whole PDA thing isn't the same novelty that it used to me for me. I hardly read books any more. I don't attempt movie encoding and all that stuff any more. I rarely keep any music on there (the iPod just works better for me in this regard). Maybe someday I'll break down and get a converged device and re-spark my interest. But like the industry as a whole, my interest is declining. Sad sad day indeed.

isajoo
09-26-2006, 05:29 AM
HOW CAN U BE GETTING BORED...

question/s to remind u HOW FUN a PPC is....

1. what other device can u take to the bathroom that can you can surf the internet, play games and chat...(please dont tell people u chat with that u r in the bathroom) :wink:

2. there r a lot more questions to ask, but the first one pretty much should remind u how amazing ppc's are.

Download files, stream files over internet/home network, surf the web even in bed(even XXX sites if u like) talking to someone with skype.

now, i know what u mean by software not upgrading...but if u have a wm2003/SE... u basically can do everything.... if u have a wm2002...that is where u get bored and never end up enjoying all the benefits of a PPC.

also, ppc's will alway need upgrading to a new one every 3-5 years... i think it is worth it for a couple of $100 for the upgrade... try ebay.

lastly, it will never work perfect and if u think it will... a week will go by and something new will come out to make it even more perfect...basically the process is endless.

either u love it or hate it...

either ur with us or against us... kidding ,maybe that does not sound correct.

i was away from my ppc for 3 MONTHS... it was such a weird experience...always having to go downstairs to the study to use the internet, just to check a simple thing like email....BUT now i got it back from the repair shop... they even changed my battery with a NEW one...all i complianed about was the screen colors not being bright...they also changed all the guts of the unit. the only thing that was from my old ppc was the back case with the serial number. i was going to buy a laptop..but i am not a power user when it comes to pc's...so i use it only for surfing and games really.

if u r worried about future problems/upgrades....get a good EXTENDED warranty if it is cheap enough... i paid $50 for 3 years...so if i dont want it or want a upgrade, i just find a way to break my ppc (some may think it is unethical, but dont even get me started about extended Warranty and ethics.

by the way i hate pc's in general...i screw up mine all the time but, the best part about ppc's if u do screw something up...HARD RESET...and use the last backup.

PPC RULES.

Cybrid
09-26-2006, 06:39 PM
by the way i hate pc's in general...i screw up mine all the time but, the best part about ppc's if u do screw something up...HARD RESET...and use the last backup.

PPC RULES. You should try out a few backup programs like Sprite and SPB backup for the PPC and Norton Ghost for the PC.
Have something go wrong? No problem...The cure in minutes...It like Antibiotic really.

ctmagnus
09-27-2006, 12:03 AM
Personally, I just use System Restore. It's built into XP and it works (if your restore points are valid).

freemans
09-27-2006, 12:54 AM
Yep, A hard reset can get your device back, and a good backup will get back the whole thing.

I personally use Sprite, It is really a life time saver.

good to share your feeling about PPC, there ARE a lot things to try and Fun to enjoy! :devilboy:

Cybrid
09-27-2006, 01:39 AM
Personally, I just use System Restore. It's built into XP and it works (if your restore points are valid). Except....the most debilitating component to go on a PC...is the HDD. Maybe you haven't had that experience yet but...previous to USMT, there was no way to move settings/etc from on PC HDD to another.
Perhaps I keep my PC's for longer than the expected shelf life...Still have a fully functional P1 166Mhz, 16Mb, Win 98 laptop...battery holds a charge too... 8O
Current PC: IBM NetVista with a new ASRock KV7M3 mobo, AMD thunderbird? 1Ghz, 768 RAM, 80Gig, New PSU fan, electrical tape, NVidia 256Mb Graphics card, 2Mb Creative labs soundblaster and a WinTV go-plus tuner. The PSU and case are...original ;)
If an IBM guy ever saw it.... :D

ctmagnus
09-27-2006, 04:05 AM
Perhaps I keep my PC's for longer than the expected shelf life...Still have a fully functional P1 166Mhz, 16Mb, Win 98 laptop...battery holds a charge too... 8O

Oh, um, whoops. :oops: You wouldn't really be able to run system restore on that thing. Or XP, either. ;)

SteveHoward999
09-27-2006, 04:08 AM
Oh, um, whoops. :oops: You wouldn't really be able to run system restore on that thing. Or XP, either. ;)

:rotfl:

Check out his *current* PC.

Janak Parekh
09-27-2006, 04:34 AM
But now days, my ipaq stays at home a lot. The days that I do carry it around I dont even turn it on once.
My advice: get a Pocket PC Phone. My problem was that it was too much hassle to carry two devices. By having a Pocket PC Phone, you get both the convenience of one device and the flexibility of a Pocket PC. A wireless data connection can enhance the experience, too.

The other observation I've found: as a gadgeteer type, I just sometimes get bored with one piece of hardware, and need something new to rekindle interest. I'm reaching that point with my Treo 700w. I'm looking to see when Cingular releases the 8525...

I am also switching to Mac (getting tired of windows too) and maybe I will end up getting a palm based treo, who knows.
Well, don't let your desktop OS control your PDA choice. Missing Sync works quite well with Pocket PCs and the Mac. I know, I use it all the time. :)

--janak

Joelacrane
09-28-2006, 04:09 AM
Definetely try out a Windows Mobile 5 device. Get Skype, and call some friends. Get Virtual Earth Mobile, and find your house from the satellite view. Get Hitchhiker and bum off other peoples unsecured WiFi. Get a large storage card and Pocket Player and listen to some music. Watch some DVD's. Get WM5torage, and use your Pocket PC as an SD reader on any 2000/XP PC without additional software. Take some pictures with your digital camera and pop your SD card into your PPC and show them to friends. Play some old NES games on an emulator. Surf the web, check your email, talk to people on Live! messenger.

How can that not be fun!??!?!?!!?!?!!!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

disconnected
09-28-2006, 07:42 PM
My problem is not that I am bored with my PPC, it's that Microsoft and the OEMs are apparently bored with it. Now that they've got me hooked on it, they've done their analyses and decided I'm part of a too-small niche market so they've moved on to bigger and better things. :cry:

My PPC (iPAQ 4700) is just about two years old, and it's developing some quirks. I don't know what I'll be able to find when I need to replace it. I wouldn't mind having some of the new features of a PPC phone, a Zune, a dedicated reader, an AIO GPS, or whatever, but I don't want to lose features. It's too bad we can't buy components to build a customized device. I don't want to give up the 4" VGA screen, I don't want less RAM (as it is, Mapopolis takes every bit of RAM it can find and wants more), and I really like having two card slots. I 'm fine with the size of the 4700, but I don't want anything much bigger.

aroma
10-03-2006, 02:15 PM
I'm reaching that point with my Treo 700w.

Well, Janak, since you are so bored with your 700w, just pass it on down this way....

:)

BoxWave
10-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Janakh made a couple of good points up there -- get a converged device, or... consider thinking about the 'need for new'. I generally have the same problem with my vehicles.

Janak Parekh
10-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Well, Janak, since you are so bored with your 700w, just pass it on down this way.... :)
Good try. :) Unfortunately, I can't. If I end up giving it to someone else, there's already someone waiting.

--janak