View Full Version : Command Bar text size too small

pilling
09-25-2006, 09:56 AM
The text size on the Command Bar like 'new', 'open, 'edit' etc are tiny tiny. I understand one has to do something in the registry to enlarge it. I have Resco Registry Trial version. Can someone give me a step by step instruction how to do this.

Thanks,
Maggie

Nurhisham Hussein
09-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Which PDA are you using Maggie? and which OS is it running? Why I ask is that there are some differences between WM5.0 and pre-WM5.0 devices. If you're on a pre-WM5.0 device, have a read through this (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40056).

Also, you aren't using OZVGA or SEVGA by any chance?

pilling
09-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Hello Nurhisham,

Thanks for your fast response.

I have ipaq hx4700 and WM 5.

Maggie

Nurhisham Hussein
09-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Is there any other software you're running that modifies the fonts (Tweaks2k2, or Wisbar Advance for example)? Or are you having trouble with the default sizes?

Changing the default font sizes isn't something to take lightly, as it can screw up system dialogues.

pilling
09-25-2006, 04:27 PM
I don't think I have any s/w that specifically modifies fonts. But I have Chinese reading enhencement s/w so I can read Chinese website, its' Asukal e-China. My pda had large font for the command bar until I did a hard reset.
Maggie

pilling
09-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Hello again Nurhisham,

My HP Image Zone had gone haywired, so I had to do a hard reset. You know what, the font size now is bigger and in bold. It's fine now.

I have just started to use a pda, so there's a lot to learn still.

Just an observation, before I bought this pda, I thought that it could receive BBC radio like a pc. It is a big disappointment. I hope that's something for the future.

Thanks again for your help.
Maggie

Nurhisham Hussein
09-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Did you have a read through the link I gave? It'll give you some pointers as to where to start looking for the right registry entries, even though the effect may not be quite the same.

I'll admit to being a little puzzled by this - most people want to make the fonts smaller not larger, especially with the 4700's 4" display. If you're seeing smaller than normal fonts, then something else is going on. Are you seeing this in one application, or all of them? What about the soft keys on the today screen, are they smaller than normal too?

Nurhisham Hussein
09-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Hello again Nurhisham,

My HP Image Zone had gone haywired, so I had to do a hard reset. You know what, the font size now is bigger and in bold. It's fine now.

Glad to hear it :)

Just an observation, before I bought this pda, I thought that it could receive BBC radio like a pc. It is a big disappointment. I hope that's something for the future.

The only problem with BBC radio service is it uses real player for streaming, which isn't supported very well on Windows Mobile (surprise, surprise). There are plenty of other radio stations available which use other formats which your PDA can run pretty easily, if it's just radio support you're looking for.

pilling
09-25-2006, 05:22 PM
I think I jumped to conclusion too soon. The fonts on the Command Bar reverted to very small size. But most others are fine.

I'll have a look at your link.

Humm....

Thanks,
Maggie

Nurhisham Hussein
09-25-2006, 06:26 PM
There's supposed to be a font adjustment slider in your settings - in my (WM2003SE) PDA, it's in Start->Settings->System tab->Screen->Text Size tab. It's supposedly more effective in WM5, but I'm not sure exactly where this slider is on that OS. Have a look for that first before trying to do a manual adjustment in the registry.

Also, is this appearing in one or two applications, or for every application you have? Some apps (like Resco) might have a manual font adjustment for their own window.

pilling
09-26-2006, 08:44 AM
Hello Nurhisham,

I can adjust the text size on >setting>system>screen>text size. My applications' font are fine. The problem is the command bar at the bottom and also in >file explore>my device>show>... the 'my device , etc.' are very small. It's smaller than the small prints on an insurance policy.

I had a looked at the link you indicated. But I think that only related to text size on application? Correct? If so, that's not the problem that I am encountering.

Regards,
Maggie

Nurhisham Hussein
09-26-2006, 09:59 AM
The problem is the command bar at the bottom and also in >file explore>my device>show>... the 'my device , etc.' are very small. It's smaller than the small prints on an insurance policy.

I think I know what you mean with the File Explorer, but you've lost me as far as what the "command bar" means. Is this an issue with File Explorer only? If you can, would you mind putting up some screenshots, or emailing them to me?

But I think that only related to text size on application? Correct? If so, that's not the problem that I am encountering.

Actually, that link shows how to change the fonts system-wide, not just for individual applications. But you're right, that doesn't seemto be the problem you're encountering.

pilling
09-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Hi,

What is your email address? Mine is [removed] if you prefer to send yours directly to me first.

I'll try to send you some screen shots. Need to find out how to do it first!!!

Maggie

Nurhisham Hussein
09-27-2006, 02:21 AM
Not a good idea to have your email address out on a public forum Maggie! I've removed it in any case.

For such things, it's better to use the private messaging system in the forum (the PM button you see in each post). You can access your own inbox/outbox through a link next to the logout link at the top of the page. I've sent you a PM with my email address :)

I believe that iTask has a builtin screen capture utility - if that isn't there, you can have a look through this link (http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=1201&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1) for other options.