View Full Version : Developer Wanted

Shaun Stuart
09-24-2006, 01:10 PM
I have an Idea for a software program that I would like someone to develop - anyone know where to start and how much this would cost ?

Are there any developers for hire out there ?

ppcinfo
09-24-2006, 04:02 PM
Is your intent to pay a developer to create a specific program for your use only, or do you want to have a developer create a new application based on your idea and sell it to make money?

I am a developer and have come across both situations numerous times, and I can say that I've never accepted either proposal.

If the application is for your own use only, you would be paying a significant amount of money to a developer since most programmers are paid lots of $$ per hour for their programming skills. I can almost guarantee you that it won't cost under $25 US! So, if you have lots of money to spend and need something for your own personal use, then I'm certain you can find someone to complete this task for you.

Now, if you think you have a great idea and are trying to find a developer to create it and sell it (and give you half the profits), that's another story. I get people asking me this on a regular basis, believing that coming up with an idea is worth 50% of the sales profit. I can say that nearly all developers would turn down such a proposal. You would need to do a lot of convincing to have a developer spend many, many hours, weeks, and months developing a software application with the risk of it being a success.

Having said all this, which of the two scenarios does your request fall under? Or does it fall under a different category?

ppcinfo

Shaun Stuart
09-24-2006, 05:50 PM
My idea was to pay a developer for his or her time to write a program based on an idea I have - I would own the program.

How much it would cost - I have no idea, but know it would be a lot more than $25 - and thats why I have asked the question.

If I couldnt afford the full development cost then I would consider a part fee, part ownership option.

How much would a developer expect to get paid for this to be worth their time ?

ppcinfo
09-26-2006, 05:26 AM
The cost would be dependent on the amount of time it took to develop, code, and test the product. So, it would be hard to give a cost estimate without knowing what the application will do.

A simple application that shows system info on the Today Screen (like a battery monitor) wouldn't take much time and thus wouldn't cost too much to develop, but in contrast an application that has a complex user-interface with lots of setting controls and writes info to a database would take much, much longer and cost much more.

I've worked on small projects that take a week to complete, to large projects take 6 months for full development (coding, testing, doc writing, etc).

ppcinfo