View Full Version : Nokia 6682 modem problem

Captain Paramedic
09-22-2006, 12:49 AM
I am hoping someone can help me. I own a Nokia 6682. You are supposed to be able to use it as a modem. I don't have the EGDE service from cingular wireless. What I would like to be able to do, is use my Nokia to dail out to my normal dial up ISP for my laptop. However, when I try, I get a "no dial tone" warning. Any ideas?

Captain Paramedic

Nurhisham Hussein
09-22-2006, 01:18 AM
This used to be possible, but I don't know if it still is - most carriers/operators no longer allow it. In any case, it was awfully slow.

Captain Paramedic
09-22-2006, 01:28 AM
This used to be possible, but I don't know if it still is - most carriers/operators no longer allow it. In any case, it was awfully slow.

Well, I currently can't afford their wireless plan (New baby and all) and wireless hotspots are few and far between where I am. I don't mind dialup speeds, since dialup is all that available to me at home. One of these days I might get brodaband, but the phone company and cable company have been promising that will happen "any day now" for nearly 7 years. :roll:

Captain Paramedic

Mark Larson
09-22-2006, 02:45 AM
If you just start using data, they'll charge you per kilobyte. HSCSD (regular dialling to ISP) is not permitted any longer, they want you to go over their packet switched network which is not only more efficient, but also more expensive.

With T-Mobile you can pay $6 for all you can browse data.

Cybrid
09-24-2006, 09:21 AM
I am hoping someone can help me. I own a Nokia 6682. You are supposed to be able to use it as a modem. I don't have the EGDE service from cingular wireless. What I would like to be able to do, is use my Nokia to dail out to my normal dial up ISP for my laptop. However, when I try, I get a "no dial tone" warning. Any ideas?

Captain ParamedicYour laptop is waiting for the regular dial tone to start dialing....What OS?