View Full Version : Where are my beloved 3.5" VGA displays gone!? - Drastic Measures

j.moghisi
09-21-2006, 07:35 AM
Hey

I am sick of seeing 2.4", 2.7", 2.8", etc on PPC PEs. It's driving me nuts. When will we see a 3.5" display again!? Moreover, when will we see VGA again!?? TomTom Navigator is not the same without a damned 3.5" screen.

I have had to resort to extreme measures: I'm currently in the process of building my own PDA Phone. The first release will be based on WinCE (already done something similar) then I hope to somehow get PPC Phone Edition (got no clue how to do that, but anyway).

These are the specs I'm looking at the moment:

Intel XScale PXA270 520Mhz or Intel XScale PXA290 806Mhz (YES, YOU HEARD CORRECT!)
GSM/GPRS/EDGE Quadband
SirfStar III-based GPS
3.5" VGA Touchscreen (Transflective or Transmissive)
64MB RAM
128MB or 512MB ROM
WIFI 802.11b (802.11g if I use an inbuilt compact flash card)
Bluetooth v1.2 (v2.0 + EDR if I find cheap modules)
SD Card Slot
Compactflash Card Slot (if it is not used up by a Wifi module)
USB Host
Mono Speaker

I hope to build a prototype within the next few weeks and months, then I need to manufacture a damn case. I hope to keep it no bigger than the Universal; only difference is that I won't be adding a keyboard. It probably will be a tad heavy though.

I'll keep you guys posted. It should be finished by February. If it looks any good, I might even try to sell a few.

cya

Menneisyys
09-24-2006, 02:21 PM
Great to hear about the project! Just one thing:

Transmissive

Are you sure you want to revive the complete uselessness in outside light? :)

j.moghisi
10-05-2006, 05:18 AM
hehe, gotta keep costs to a minimum. but yea, point taken.