View Full Version : Stinkin' Syncin' - The Problem With Intellisync...

Joseph Moon
09-18-2006, 12:55 PM
I recently decided to give Intellisync another try... I was desperate for being able to send an email from the field...

Prior to installing it again - I was successfully using ACTIVESync... Surprise - Surprise!

Anyway, I installed Intellisync and all seemed to be working ok... Then I needed to connected my Treo so that I could install some software...

That is when HELL PART II started for me...

Activesync must have been jealous of Intellisync... I watched my calendar with over 600 appointments start getting wiped clean - right before my eyes appointments started disappearing...

I watched hopelessly as I wondered what am I going to do now... As the beads of sweat started to build upon my forehead - I started to see appointments pop back onto my calendar... Yet, there were still appointments disappearing...

The sweat turned to chilling ice when the calendar suddenly bounced back with all my days loaded with appointments... DOUBLES! Each appointment was now there twice! Arrgghhh...

I installed the needed apps and left the office so ticked off that I wanted to throw my Treo into the trash. I got home, throw the damn phone on the granite countertop in disgust.

I awoke the next morning and turned the phone on to see that everything worked itself out over night. Weird I thought! Maybe a miracle?!

I got back into the office to find several of my emails, scattered from different folders was missing. I also discovered the 'ol Bithday and some holidays are now 2 days long!

What the heck is going on?

After spending hours cleaning up birthday and holiday mess - and getting over that I lost 2 weeks of selected emails - I am afraid to connect the Treo to the desktop via ActiveSync to install some programs and update my MS Money...

Anyone have a cure? Is it possible to have MS Money which needs ActiveSync and IntelliSync running together?

Someone suggested just shutting the email off in ActiveSync... Yet to do that you have to connect... And once you connect the syncing starts...

Any ideas?

Joseph...

Janak Parekh
09-18-2006, 04:37 PM
My two points:

1. Always backup when messing around with ActiveSync.

2. Are you sure you can't turn off the email sync while the device is disconnected? Perhaps it depends on the version of AS being used. I think 3.x could...

--janak

Joseph Moon
09-19-2006, 01:13 PM
Janak - As far I as I can see - The only way to get at the details of a partnership is to connect the device of that partnership. Once that occurs, ActiveSync takes full control and begins it's Syncing. When the Syncing is complete, you are then able to mess around with the details of the partnership as it relates to certain programs; email, notes, files, contacts, etc... By the way, I believe I am using the AS 4.2... It is the version recommended/required by Verizon when I bought the Treo 700w.

I am in a pinch cause I need to update MS Money and am not confident the sync will take place properily.

Surely, I am not the only Verizon person using Intellisync?! Anyone else have an experience with it? Do you still connect via ActiveSync?

Joseph...

Janak Parekh
09-19-2006, 04:24 PM
By the way, I believe I am using the AS 4.2... It is the version recommended/required by Verizon when I bought the Treo 700w.
Right, WM5 requires ActiveSync 4.x. And I just checked -- you're right. :( ActiveSync 3.x definitely let you change settings when not docked, but not so with 4.x.

I am in a pinch cause I need to update MS Money and am not confident the sync will take place properily.
Your best bet? Back everything up and try.

Surely, I am not the only Verizon person using Intellisync?! Anyone else have an experience with it? Do you still connect via ActiveSync?
Actually, on a daily basis, I use Missing Sync on my Mac. I've never had to use IntelliSync, myself, with Pocket PCs.

--janak

freemans
09-20-2006, 12:08 AM
Its a good idea to backup your device when you wanna try those things, I do all the time with Sprite, other wise I will not enven try to synchronize. :evil:

Joseph Moon
09-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Yeah, your right about having a backup. I was making copies of the PST file earlier on when I intially installed Intellisync. All seemed to be working well the first few times I was transferring from AS to Intellisync. Thos two programs were being used interchangably (us that a word?) for about a day or so. About a week past and I needed to do something through AS when it all fell apart.

Anyway, I bailed out on Intellisync. Too many Synchronization Failures were occuring to make it a reliable program to use. I switched back to AS and all is well... No doubles or other goofy things...

Joseph..