View Full Version : sync PocketPC (Samsung i730) with TWO PC's suggestions request

redman0
09-18-2006, 06:51 AM
Hello,

I am looking for any suggestions to how, or even if, there is a solution for my situation. I have a Samsung i730 (and love it), that I want to use as my business phone in my new job. I have a ton of info in Outlook on my PERSONAL laptop (i.e. contact/calendar/tasks) and would like some way to also get all the info from my WORK laptop's Outlook on my phone, but still keep the information seperate (as in, the phone will not cross contaminate the laptops Outlook databases. My job is very fussy about using the WORK laptop for anything personal, and since I do not want to carry two laptops when I travel for business, I would like some way to sync my phone with Outlook on each machine, but not have them blend databases. This way, when I am home I can still have all my personal stuff on my PERSONAL laptop, and then when I travel, I can use my phone to see what my calendar looks like for both work and pleasure combined.

If I remember correctly, I think Active Sync 3.7 will only sync the phone with ONE PC, I think... but perhaps there is some way around this that I am unaware of...?

I hope this is clear. So if anyone has any suggestions or know how to do this type of function, I would GREATLY appreciate it!!!

Thanks and cheers!

Steve

Nurhisham Hussein
09-18-2006, 01:25 PM
If I remember correctly, I think Active Sync 3.7 will only sync the phone with ONE PC, I think... but perhaps there is some way around this that I am unaware of...?

No, it will do two, with the proviso that only one PC can have an email sync.

As far as your main problem is concerned, the main solution suggested (that I've seen) is to apply categories in Outlook, and category filtering in Activesync. I can't remember if this still works with WM5.0 and AS 4.x.

Brad Adrian
09-18-2006, 06:00 PM
...apply categories in Outlook...
That is, in fact, still the only way to accomplish that kind of seperated synching. It's not very elegant, but it's the only way I know of.

Janak Parekh
09-18-2006, 10:31 PM
As far as your main problem is concerned, the main solution suggested (that I've seen) is to apply categories in Outlook, and category filtering in Activesync. I can't remember if this still works with WM5.0 and AS 4.x.
Nope, WM5/AS4 remove the ability to select categories during sync. :( Fortunately, the original poster is still using AS3.x, which does offer it.

--janak