View Full Version : What am I looking for?

jawsany
09-17-2006, 10:52 AM
Hey guys

Uuummm...I don't honsetly have a clue what I'm looking for exactly or if there is a device that can do all these that I want. Basically what I want is something that can do the following:

Use internet via wireless connection (Preferably via d-link wireless router).
Can save mircosoft office files onto computer (Via wireless preferably) or the device.
Some form of media player
Use of msn/hotmail messenger or email.

They are mainly what I would like if possible so if any of you have heard of such a device or something (Besides a laptop or computer) that can do all or a few of these please say so or post a link if you can. Also my internet connection is 1.5m/256k so if anyone needs that there it is.

Many thanks in advance.

Jawsany
:devilboy: 0X

Nurhisham Hussein
09-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Use internet via wireless connection (Preferably via d-link wireless router).
Can save mircosoft office files onto computer (Via wireless preferably) or the device.
Some form of media player
Use of msn/hotmail messenger or email.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) that just about describes every Windows Mobile device except the very basic ones. Wifi is available in most, and every device comes equiped with Mobile Office (including an email client and MSN messenger), and Windows Media Player...Hotmail requires an internet connection. It's actually much easier to decide what to get if you specify your budget, and what's available in your area of the world.

jawsany
09-18-2006, 12:11 PM
^^ cool

Whats wifi? Also I dont have that much of price limit i was actually more wondering on what was the best ones for their price that can do all these. Also they need to be fast.

Nurhisham Hussein
09-18-2006, 01:13 PM
Wifi aka 802.11 (a, b, g, or n) is a wireless technology for connecting devices to a network. In other words, you can connect your PDA to a another computer or wireless network without using ethernet cables. Typical distance is about 100m or so, barring obstructions and interference. WiMax is a development of this technology that covers much greater distances.

Bluetooth is another wireless technology you may have heard of, which is much shorter range, and is generally treated as a cable replacement technology. Some of the devices you can connect (wirelessly) include headsets/stereo headphones, keyboards, mouse, GPS, and gamepads. General range is about 10m and most PDAs have bluetooth as well (including all the PDA phones).

It'd help if you can tell me where you're located - there's quite a few humdingers that aren't available in the States, and I wouldn't want to recommend something that you can't get.

isajoo
09-18-2006, 05:53 PM
:roll: I am a little worried... if you dont know what wifi was... PocketPC's are going to bring up a lot more mysteries.... LOTS of trouble shoting.... maybe start off with a pocket pc and if u are having difficults, try a palm pda...they are just know for being MORE user FREINDLY , BUT less powerful as a portable mini pc. but i would definately TRY pocket pc's first.

welcome to the world of mobile computing...IT's going to be a LOOONG journey ahead of you. BUT very FUN! remember to bookmark Pocketpcthoughts.com u are gonna need help from them. :wink:

also... when u decide to buy a ppc... try to buy from a store that has a GOOD return policy... u may like 2 different priced items and that way u could return and buy another one.

THEN, once u decide which one u like...u can check out ebay.com for better deals... you could end up saving 50% of what your initial budget was. this way u can play with the device and not really worry about longevity...ppc's have a BAD habit of just dieing on you at the wrong time...but with the savings you could get another one... also check for local stores sales... because they might offer extended warrantys...this way your ppc is safe for a couple of years. it is worth the money for that great security. I have sent my ppc in for repair(warranty) for the second time...partly my fault but still covered under warranty. Remember these devices can run as fast or even faster than the first pentiums pcs...but in 1/50 of the compact space. LOTS of heat and fast computing = problems that warranty should solve.

dont get me wrong with ebay...LOTs of people have bought from them and may not have any problems... it is all individual cases bases on different uses.

but i can guaranty u will not be dissapointed after using any ppc.

"Their Great"

jawsany
09-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Ok my friend what im going to say to you isajoo is that I was just looking to have a actual definition about them Wifi that Nurhisham Hussein has given (Thanks to him, much appreciated my friend) so please don't treat me like I don't know stuff because some people (not me) might find that offensive :| , especially if they have already said that they don't know that much.

Many thanks Nurhisham Hussein thats all I needed peace man.

isajoo
09-19-2006, 08:41 PM
have a sense of humour!!! :cry:

read the whole post next time...instead of only the first sentance..

STAY ON TOPIC!!!!