View Full Version : iTunes 7.0 causes Nevo Media Server to hog resources

stlbud
09-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Ok, I admit it, I have an iPod. I'm guilty but what the heck, it generally works and holds every CD I own.

The new iTunes, version 7.0, looked like fun with it's album art review. After installing it I find my system (AMD 2800+, 1GByte RAM) has all but locked up. Further investigation shows that Nevo Media Server is using 100% of the process resources and continues to do so for about 2 mintues. Nevo Media Server works with my HP RX3715 to stream media (video, audio, pictures) to my Pocket PC via WiFi.

Nevo Media Server doesn't give much information about what is going on internally but it looks like it is rescanning all my media folders. This did not happen with previous versions of iTunes.

Any clues how to tame Nevo? Any ideas what iTunes might be doing to media folders to set Nevo on it's chase? Anyone else notice problems with iTunes 7.0

Thanks,

Darius Wey
09-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Any clues how to tame Nevo?

I don't run Nevo, so I'm afraid I can't offer too much help here. But to answer your other questions...

Any ideas what iTunes might be doing to media folders to set Nevo on it's chase?

In terms of organisation, the location of your media and the folder hierarchy should be the same with iTunes 7. Having said that, iTunes does add an extra series of sub-folders in a new folder called "Album Artwork". Interestingly, the album art fetch feature simply places art in a folder and doesn't embed it in the track (which in my opinion, is a backwards step; no one likes it).

Anyone else notice problems with iTunes 7.0

iTunes 7 feels like a resource hog at the moment. It starts slower than previous versions of iTunes, and internally, it seems a tad slower. It's not really an issue on my Mac Pro, but on two other PCs I have, it's horrendous. :|

stlbud
09-17-2006, 02:54 PM
I guess I forgot to mention that I do not allow iTunes to organize my music folders. Instead I've chosen the Microsoft scheme of My Music\Artist\Album\tracks

iTunes uses a similar scheme but starts My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Artist Album\tracks

Each scheme has it's own method of classifying albums with tracks from multiple artists. iTunes starts with Compilations\Album\tracks starting at the Artist level - While Media Player uses Various Artists\Album\tracks also starting at the Artist level.

About the only time I really use iTunes is to update my iPod.