View Full Version : X51v White Screen of Near-Death

AximFool
09-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Hi All

Had my Axim for nearly a month now - being a bit of a hacker I've been trying all the customisation apps and reg hacks; however I fear I've got something fishy going on now - and it's not the smoked kipper I had for breakfast!
Whenever I turn the Axim on using the power button, I get a totally white screen. The system seems to respond (I hear clicky clicks) but the screen stays white.
If I press one of the app buttons (e.g. calendar, or home) it wakes up just fine. If I put a storage card in, again it wakes up fine.

So, any of you fine & brainy peeps got any ideas?

Cheers!

ADBrown
09-14-2006, 05:52 PM
Have you checked that the device has ROM version A12? This cures a lot of bugs.

AximFool
09-15-2006, 10:59 AM
Have you checked that the device has ROM version A12? This cures a lot of bugs.

Yup, it came with A12 (06200600)... nice try though!

ADBrown
09-15-2006, 11:03 PM
In that case, I'd recommend a hard reset and reinstall all your programs one by one, testing as you go, so that you know if a particular program is causing the issue.

AximFool
09-18-2006, 11:27 AM
In that case, I'd recommend a hard reset and reinstall all your programs one by one, testing as you go, so that you know if a particular program is causing the issue.

Yowch! :(

I was hoping to avoid that type of exercise.
Well, I'll see how it goes - I really need to get myself a nice big storage card (or two) and make sure I've dumped everything important for if/when I hard reset.

Anyone got any recommendations for backup programs (other than copy stuff to CF/SD cards)? I was thinking of using the "Data Backup" that comes with the Axim; but alot of peeps have said "It's rubbish!"...

tregnier
09-18-2006, 01:27 PM
I used to use Sprite Backup on my h4755, but switched to SPB Backup when I moved to the Axim 51v. It's a great program and well worth the peace of mind.

You can find it at: http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/backup/?en

I have no financial involvement with the company.

freemans
09-20-2006, 12:30 AM
Sprite Backup (www.sprite software.com) seems the best for me, I have got it on my Palm for free, and had them on my 4700, WM2003 and WM5 after I upgrade. It worked a charm. 8)

AximFool
09-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks people - I'll check 'em out.

It seems the WSoN-D can happen whenever the Axim turns on, be it through pressing any button, inserting a memory card, docking it in the cradle etc.
Sometimes it comes on fine, other times it's just the white screen.
If I new better I might suspect a graphics issue, as the system seems ok behind the white screen (programs are still running).

Funny thing, really..

PPCApache
01-26-2007, 09:18 PM
You may also want to have a look at SPB Backup as I use this on my Axim X51v and it works great...

http://www.spbclub.com/product.php?product_id=9

Cheers

Jace

AximFool
01-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Well, I popped the trial version of SPB Backup on, backed my system up, did a hard reset (Gulp!) and pulled stuff out of my backup...
...all was cool again, with the system running fine & dandy :D
SPB Backup is a good backup utility - very flexible - you can select anything down to individual file level if you want to.

So, the moral of the story is... don't mess too much with reg settings, graphics patches, task managers, tweakers etc. - this is Windows...

but then you all knew that already :wink:

Cheers Peeps!