View Full Version : understanding file system in wm2005

skewline
09-11-2006, 09:04 PM
i'm not sure where to put this question, so it's here. is there an up to date book explaining the software mechanics and standard procedures to use ppc w/ wm2005? when i get "error" messages, i know the vocabulary of the comment, but i don't understand the implication of what it's telling me. for instance, i've just moved my Bible reader onto a cf card. it was previously on a sd card, and ran excellently. but i bot a 1 gig sd card for give-away price, so i reinstalled the program from pc to axim. now the icon on the front page says cannot be opened. one of its components cannot be found.
if i go into file explorer/cfcard/bible reader, i can open the book and read as usualy. how do i fix the icon link from the main page?
further, how do i fix the issue when it says the pathway cannot be found? maybe that's the message i used to get b4 wm2005?
thanx for any help, and i'm willing to read if there's a book that i can sit and study. paul

JesterMania
09-12-2006, 01:05 AM
Your post is a little confusing to read... :? and your terminology is slightly ackward. Don't worry though, you'll get the hang of it after a while. Until then, it helps to state the exact steps you went through (step 1, 2, 3, ....), and the exact error messages you get.

I'm guessing from what you said that you've installed the bible reader onto your CF Card, correct? Now you try and click on its icon in Start->Programs and it says the path (not pathway) cannot be found. That means the icon (shortcut) is pointing to the old location on your SD Card and you need to make a new shortcut pointing to its location on the CF Card.

With ActiveSync on your PC, right-click on the bible reader .exe located in your CF Card and select "Create Shortcut". After, move that shortcut into the PPC folder: \Windows\Start Menu\Programs. You should have a new shortcut that works, and you can delete the old one.

As far as I know, there's really no books on these things. You can try Amazon on Pocket PC books. Other than that, just ask on these forums and people will help you.

skewline
09-12-2006, 04:51 AM
thank you, JesterMania. i've managed to add a new link that works in the today screen, but i've not succeeded in deleting the old useless link.
Would you help me do that?
Your analysis of my imprecise language is very accurate. my language simply reveals my confusion. i appreciate your patience and help.

JesterMania
09-12-2006, 05:47 AM
Where exactly is this old shortcut located?

If this invalid shortcut is accessed through Start->Programs, then all shortcuts located there are in \Windows\Start Menu\Programs (on your PPC). Connect your PPC to your computer with ActiveSync and manually delete the invalid shortcut using Windows Explorer.

If this invalid shortcut is located on your Today screen (meaning the screen that shows first when you start up your PPC containing date, appointments, e-mail, etc.) you must tell me what today plugin you're using to display that shortcut. More often than not, you tap and hold on the shortcut until a menu appears, then select "delete" or something like that.

skewline
09-12-2006, 06:32 AM
If this invalid shortcut is accessed through Start->Programs, then all shortcuts located there are in \Windows\Start Menu\Programs (on your PPC). Connect your PPC to your computer with ActiveSync and manually delete the invalid shortcut using Windows Explorer.

yes, it is start/programs. "manually delete invalid shortcut using windows explorer" how? when i use the "explore" command under active/sync, i cannot find the windows folder. thanx.

Nurhisham Hussein
09-12-2006, 08:18 AM
If you're using the Activesync Explorer, make sure Windows File Explorer is configured to show hidden/system files. In any Windows Explorer window, click on "Tools"->"Folder Options...", then click on the "View" tab at the top. In the list below, change the selection for "Hidden Files and Folders" from "Do not show..." to "Show Hidden Files and Folders". Click "Ok" - that will refresh all Explorer windows, and hidden files and folders will show up.

For getting to the Windows folder from the Activesync Explorer window, click on "My Device" right at the top of the filelist - this will bring you to your PDA's root directory.

skewline
09-12-2006, 03:17 PM
off to work, will apply tonite.