View Full Version : How Slow Is That WM5 Boot?

Jon Westfall
09-14-2006, 01:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&title=are_wm5_devices_indeed_slow_to_boot_in&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/in...1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1</a><br /><br /></div><i>"When the first WM5 devices hit the shelves, people found them very slow to boot in compared to even the (compared to PPC2k/ PPC2k2 devices, which booted in after a reset almost instantenously) already "slow" WM2003/WM2003SE devices. Fortunately, the situation has, in cases, dramatically changed with the later released ROM upgrades, which is best seen on the example of the HTC Wizard. All the measurements have been made on freshly hard reset devices without installing anything and just measuring the time it takes from resetting the device to opening the Start menu. Freshly hard reset devices are very important as reading "Recent programs"-section icons, particularly off storage cards, may be a VERY slow process, totally independent of the OS used."</i><br /><br />Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen tackles the single most annoying thing I can think of in Windows Mobile - the time it takes to get up and running after a reset. Frequently swapping batteries or SIMs gives most of us a lot of time to think about the issue, and now thanks to this article, we know how much time it really is. It's also a good case for doing periodic ROM upgrades, if you didn't have good reason enough already!

JvanEkris
09-14-2006, 01:39 PM
I have a tabletpc as well (this is a Windows XP TabletPC), it resets (complete shutdown and start of windows) faster than a WM5 device...

Jaap

ppcsurfr
09-14-2006, 02:11 PM
Well, WM5 just reminds me of Smartphone 2002, Windows Mobile 2003 and Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition software for Smartphone... all these took nearly a minute to start up...

whydidnt
09-14-2006, 03:39 PM
I don't know, but I suspect the WM development team figured the devices are rarely shut down/reset, so never really spent time on optimizing these processes. Seems like they or their OEM's realized that this happens more frequently than planned and have started to deal with it accordingly. Maybe by WM 2009, we'll have close to instant on and off - what with all the advances we are seeing in Flash memory, and all. :D

ppcsurfr
09-14-2006, 07:09 PM
There were some comments about the paging pool size for these devices... and apparently the new memory setup of RAM and Persistent memory, things have just made it slower even...

The DELL with a large paging pool size of 8MB and the Universal with a paging pool size of 4.8MB... reboots faster. But then the processor may have something to do with it too...