View Full Version : 9/11, Five years later

CTSLICK
09-11-2006, 02:32 PM
I simply ask that you never forget, never quit demanding answers, never quit trying to make things better.

Jason Dunn
09-11-2006, 03:10 PM
They say every generation has an event that they'll always remember, and unfortunately it's usually a tragic one. 9/11 is it for me. I can still remember waking to the news on the radio, not believing what I was hearing, and rushing into my living room to turn on the TV. I called Ashley and told her to turn on the TV, and we both sat on the phone in shocked silence. There were really no words to describe what we were seeing.

I have vague memories of other tragic events that happened when I was much younger (Space shuttle exploding, Princess Diana's accident) but this one is deeply burned into my mind because of the level of destruction, and simply how brutal it was.

The world is in sorry shape right now, I think in many ways much worse than it was in 2001. It's rather depressing when you think about it...I wonder when things will get better? :(

CTSLICK
09-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Working at an airline it was a very personal experience. Maybe its because its been 5 years but this year in particular I just felt the need to play it all through it my head again. To try and remember it...to make sure I remember it. Its odd how clearly I remember that morning and that day, how fresh some of that pain is. It took several hours to gather it up. I decided to put something on my airline blog...strangely cathartic. "Pausing to Reflect on 9/11" (http://stateoftheairline.blogspot.com/2006/09/pausing-to-reflect-on-911.html) if you care to read it.

I tend to share Jason's view...in some ways the world seems to have digressed since 9/11. But I try to hold on to the brights spots that came out of the tragedy...mostly the stunning outpouring of human spirit and cooperation that went into the recover effort. Sad that it takes a tragedy to evoke it...awesome that people can still make it happen.

Brad Adrian
09-11-2006, 04:41 PM
CTSLICK, my heart goes out to you and everyone who has been very personally affected by the events of that horrible day.

I'm watching the real-time replays on TV, and it shows that the second tower collapsed around 10:23am, and by 11:00am MSNBC had an anti-terrorist expert on the phone, and he immediately said:

"This is Osama Bin Laden."

I can't help but be stunned by how immediately that conclusion was drawn.

This is very painful to watch, but for some reason I feel compelled to relive that day. I think it's because I want to remember it with as much clarity as possible; that's how I can keep those feelings of concern, compassion and vigilance alive.

karen
09-11-2006, 05:03 PM
I also agree that the best we can do is not let the terrorist terroize us. That's what they want - billions of people around the world to live their lives in unreasonable fear.

I leave tomorrow morning for NYC, where I will be staying just off the WTC block. Three years ago I went on the 10th and stayed at the Hilton right on WTC, overlooking the rememberance activities. Next week I am off to Washington DC. I returned from the Middle East a few months ago and will be back there in January. All of this is business travel.

On 9-11 I was packing to go to NY when the first plane it - I was leaving home in the next hour, I thought. After the borders closed, I had to cancel my trip. But I knew I would be back to both DC and NYC on a regular basis.

I believe strongly that Zapata had it right when he said:

I would rather die on my feet than spend a lifetime on my knees.

Sure, travelling is risky, but I refuse to let these evil people, any evil people, cause me to skip living my life just so that I can breathe. My life is only valuable if I am actually living it.

My warmest thoughts go to all those who are still suffering from any terrorist attacks.

Karen

Mitch D
09-11-2006, 05:03 PM
I remember waking up that morning to hear one of the DJ's on radio in tears, at first I thought some music artist had passed away. I went up stairs and turned on the TV just in time to watch the horror on the second plane strike. I can remember how quiet things where at work that day, how everyone was walking around in a total daze.

To me it will always be one of those "where were you when it happened?" moments.

My heart still goes out to all those who lost love ones that day, and many thanks to the men and woman in uniform in both Canada & the USA whom are now still fighting the good fight in Afganistan...

I will end this before I get off on one of my rants... :evil: :cry:

Clinton Fitch
09-11-2006, 05:08 PM
As one who lost two friends in WTC 1 and one who was suppose to be in that building with them (I changed my schedule at the last minute and was in Orlando, not New York on 9/11/01), this day is especially hard personally. It was gut wrenching to watch then and seeing all of the coverage today is difficult to watch once again.

We often focus on those lost but imagine how many would have been lost if the FDNY did not do the amazing job they did that day? They saved a tremendous number of lives while losing many of their own.

Say hi to a firefighter today - and thank them for the job they do.

Clinton Fitch
09-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Just to add to my previous post... Do all of you remember how disturbingly quiet it was by mid afternoon on 9/11/01 with no aircraft overhead?

That's another thing I never will forget.

jickbahtech
09-11-2006, 05:13 PM
Man what a day.
I was working at a bagel shop in Albuquerque at the time. My Dad was supposed to be at the Pentagon, and my Uncle in the south tower. Neither were, but it took almost 3 days to get word. My joy and relief of course tempered by the fact that 3000 other people weren't so lucky.

I also probably wouldn't have met my wife. We were both grieving the same way, so we started talking after a candle light vigil. We spent the next 2 days skipping classes, getting kicked out of bars and village inn's, and we've been talking ever since.

Such a conflicting day...

CTSLICK
09-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Just to add to my previous post...Do all of you remember how disturbingly quiet it was by mid afternoon on 9/11/01 with no aircraft overhead?...

Distinctly my friend...distinctly

Clinton Fitch
09-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Just to add to my previous post...Do all of you remember how disturbingly quiet it was by mid afternoon on 9/11/01 with no aircraft overhead?...

Distinctly my friend...distinctly

CTSLICK, I just read your blog entry.... I'm sure of anyone you can appreciate the quietness of that afternoon.

Several friends back in Dallas that morning have talked about watching the plane-after-plane landing at DFW as they tried to get all the hardware on the ground then it suddenly was quiet.

Brad Adrian
09-11-2006, 06:13 PM
There's one other thing about that day I will never forget...

I realize that during those early hours and days we had no idea of the magnitude and implications of the event. But, even as the day unfolded, my employer (I was in IT consulting) made a strong point about "staying at the wheel," "working through the hardship," and "we have clients who need us."

The events DID have ramifications for IT systems, to be sure, but I can't think of a single thing I was working on that day that couldn't have waited a few hours, until we caught our breath and maybe lit a candle or two.

I promised myself that I would NEVER imagine my job to be so important that it interferes with my ability to empathize with others' tragedy.

that_kid
09-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Just to add to my previous post... Do all of you remember how disturbingly quiet it was by mid afternoon on 9/11/01 with no aircraft overhead?

Yes I do, I also remember all the military aircraft flying 2000 ft above my house from richmond and norfolk.

Cybrid
09-11-2006, 07:02 PM
The events DID have ramifications for IT systems, to be sure, but I can't think of a single thing I was working on that day that couldn't have waited a few hours, until we caught our breath and maybe lit a candle or two.

I promised myself that I would NEVER imagine my job to be so important that it interferes with my ability to empathize with others' tragedy.
Depends...communications would need to be of utmost importance. Finality/ knowing is always better than imagining the worst. Maybe their cell is off and they didn't go to work today... What if?
I do not think the problem was empathizing, it was trying to get through the day without letting everything go to heck...Grief over this was overwhelming to even the most distant corners of the world. Perhaps your employer meant well...by giving you something to do...it perhaps prevented you from dwelling on an event you had no direct influence over. Being a lowly retail sector guy, I can't think of any way that my job had even the slightest connection to the tragedy. I can also remember anger/ frustration at not being able to help...watching helplessly as video after video showed innocents suffering. A tsunami/hurricane/? is an act of the Cosmos, you can simply endure and then rebuild as able.
This was man-made and preventable. That anger/frustration needed a channel. For me, I think I needed the familiar routines of work/ family to center myself.

mwfielder
09-11-2006, 08:11 PM
I was a 4th yr medical student in OKC, 1 mi away from the Murrah Building when it was bombed. I was an Ob/Gyn resident on Long Island when TWA flight 800 went down. I was in the Navy, stationed in DC when the Pentagon was attacked. I also got to experience the DC sniper, and the anthrax scare. (currently living in DFW metroplex, in case you want to move... :wink: )

However, I'm not scared. The terrorists, home and abroad, want all of us to be frightened. No, my friends, it should create resolve in us. Resolve in us to stand up for who we are and the freedoms we enjoy. I am hopping a flight tonight, and will do so comfortably. (of course, the DFW to Houston is probably not a high profile flight....)

Brad Adrian
09-11-2006, 09:50 PM
...Perhaps your employer meant well...by giving you something to do...

That's a valid point. However, I think the better thing to do would have been to provide empathetic words of support, a pledge of ongoing sensitivity to the effects of such a life-changing event and the recognition that some of us might be deeply affected. At that time, nearly all of the 400 people that boss was addressing worked from home offices, so it bothered me that the firm trusted us enough to work remotely, yet didn't trust us enough to decide for ourselves whether or not we needed a couple of hours to absorb it all.

Anyway, enough of my rant. I think this just helps to point out that this was a very personal event and each and every individual had -- and needs -- his own, unique way of dealing with it. Myself, I remember moving through all the classic emotions -- shock, denial, fear, hurt, anger, etc. -- within a very, very short period of time.

Thanks -- to you, Cybrid, and everybody else -- for sharing your own thoughts and feelings.

Brad Adrian
09-11-2006, 09:55 PM
However, I'm not scared...

Wow. Thanks for your comments. I've not lived in OK, but I have dozens of family members in and near OKC.

And now, if I might use a bit of levity to deflect some of the seriousness of this discussion...

MWFIELDER, you've really been close to a lot of horrible events. I don't believe in luck (good, bad or otherwise), but remind me to never travel with you or live near you!

WyattEarp
09-11-2006, 10:36 PM

Being a Campus Police Officer/EMT at the time my partner and I were down there immediately. The lack of planes in the air bothered us more and made us wonder what else could happen. It was rather un-nerving if you thought about it to much.

The nicest thing I remember was all the people on the West Side Hwy lined up each day cheering with signs stating "Thank You" to all Emergency Response Agencys and personnel that drove by.

notesguy88
09-12-2006, 01:16 AM
I spent the whole day today attending various 9/11 events including the physically and emotionally draining ceremony at the World Trade Center site.

5 years ago today I was at work at my desk on the 49th floor of the North Tower. When the plane struck the tower at 8:46 am I had just been discussing an Internet access problem at the trading floor with a co-worker. My initial thought was that Manhattan had just been struck by a massive earthquake. The building trembled hard and I felt the foundations of the building move just as if an earthquake was taking place. The subsequent swaying of the tower continued to lead me to think it was an earthquake. However, when I heard the explosion above my thoughts turned immediately to a bomb.

After the swaying of the building stopped I got up from my desk and headed quickly towards the nearest emergency stairwell. I found out that a plane had hit the tower only by someone in the stairwell who received the news on his pager. For various reasons, it took me about an hour to finally get out on the streets. From there I went two blocks east of the towers and stopped a bit to rest. Somewhere between 5 to 10 minutes later, the South Tower collapsed forcing me to flee once again. This time against a rapidly advancing cloud of dust and debris.

Needless to say, my life changed dramatically that day. I am no longer working in IT. That type of work had no meaning for me anymore even though I admit I still love computers and gadgets (especially the pocket pc). I am currently enrolled in a Masters degree program in Emergency and Disaster Management.

Manuel

Brad Adrian
09-12-2006, 03:51 AM
I am currently enrolled in a Masters degree program in Emergency and Disaster Management.

Thank you for sharing your story. I know every reader joins me in wishing you the best of luck and success in your new, selfless career.

And hey, don't forget to let us know about all the ways you find to use your Pocket PC to help you in your new endeavors!

PeterLake
09-12-2006, 06:15 AM
Thanks, Jason, for the sensitvity of recognizing this event on a forum dedicated to other types of subject matter.

My spouse lost a family member in the WTC attacks. I toyed with adding his name to this post, because his 911 call from the top of one of the towers was ended by its collapse, and it reminds us that most of the victims did nothing more than go to work to provide for their families. That demographic seems to apply to many who read this site. Even so, I'm sorry to say that specifics regarding 9/11 seem to bring out the trolls and inflammatory posts. Therefore, I'll just say my thanks again.

Mister HP
09-12-2006, 07:12 AM
Hello friends, fellow pocket pc enthusiasts, and fellow Americans and non Americans. This is truly a day to mourn- the loss of 3000+ lives and symbols which stood for our very ideals. I would like to thank you Jason for paying respects and honors to this event and starting a new thread for posters to comment. My hope and prayers go out to all of those who have suffered a loss 5 years ago and continue to suffer. We Remeber 9/11/01.

notesguy88
09-12-2006, 04:24 PM
I am currently enrolled in a Masters degree program in Emergency and Disaster Management.

Thank you for sharing your story. I know every reader joins me in wishing you the best of luck and success in your new, selfless career.

And hey, don't forget to let us know about all the ways you find to use your Pocket PC to help you in your new endeavors!

Thanks for your words of encouragement! Last semester I took a course in the use of IT in the field of emergency management as well as in homeland security and counter-terrorism. However the professor never mentioned the use of PocketPC's for those efforts.

I'm thinking one potential usage of PocketPCs in this field may be in the use of a RFID scanner device attached to a PocketPC with wireless data capability that would be able to send real time data on containers/cargo from ports. I think that's something like what UPS/Fedex/USPS do when you track a package being delivered to you. But for that they usually do the scan at various stops along the road that the truck is travelling. I'm thinking off the top of my head but I'm sure mobile/portable solutions for transmitting RFID data already exist with or without using PocketPCs.

karen
09-12-2006, 08:29 PM
I've just returned minutes ago from the WTC site. I was also here in 2003, staying at the Hilton Millennium. I just compared my 2003 photos to the pictures I took today.

With all the talk about the lack of progress, I was amazed by what has been completed in the last 3 years. I had no idea that theh Path and Subway stations are back open, that there was so much construction completed, and that the businesses surrounding the site were so complete. I remember walking around the site last time and thinking "this is a war zone". This year it was a construction site like many others, albeit with much more meaning to me.

I used to work in the Pentagon, somewhere deep in a subbasement, in the innner rings. What I remember most about those years were the ramps inside the building - like in a stadium. There were stairs, but most people used the ramps. It was the 80s, so we women all wore suits and heels. I remember carrying one of those suitcase-sized Compaq luggables over my sholder, with high heels, down the ramps. It's a wonder that I didn't fall over more often.

The other memory I have is of the guys who changed the lightbulbs. They walked around on stilts, with the tubes in a quiver like thing on their backs. Replacing tubes was a full time job.

I resolve to travel often, without fear. If I were to perish due to this resolve, I know I would have gone doing what I love. One can't ask for anything more.

Karen

k1darkknight
09-17-2006, 10:07 AM

Yes I do, I also remember all the military aircraft flying 2000 ft above my house from richmond and norfolk.

I realize it's been nearly a week since the anniversary date, but I'm only just now getting caught up on e-mail, and happenned across this thread. The first thing I always think of, when thinking about that horriffic day, is being woken up after the second plane hit, and watching the replays on TV. I had to work, I think around noon...maybe 12:30...I don't remember for sure.

Anyway, the area I live in had a bit of a scare, somewhere between a half hour and an hour later. I live about 20 minutes south of Dayton, OH, so anyone around here might remember what I'm referring to. Sometime between 11 and 11:30, we heard a loud BOOM in the distance. It sounded like when lightning actually hits the ground, rather than a tree or anything. Or, many thought, like a plane crashing...

What made this even more frightening was that there was a LOT of smoke rising from a rather small area, in the general vicinity of the V.A. hospital. You can just imagine what people around here thought had happenned. As it turned out, the smoke was from someone burning leaves or trash or somesuch, roughly across the street from the V.A. Hospital. Ironically enough, the loud BOOM actually WAS from a plane...it was from a US military jet, breaking Mach I. (Wright-Patterson Air Force Base is about 20 minutes east of Dayton.)

Once everything was straightened out, and everyone realized what had really happenned, you could almost feel the partial relief in the air. But at the same time, it also made people that much more aware of how much a target our area could be, simply because of an Air Force base nearby.

I don't think I knew anyone who was in the WTC towers, survivors or not. As far as I know, I don't have any relatives who live or work closer to NYC, than upstate New York. I have an uncle who used to work in (or near) DC, but I think he'd moved a year or two earlier. Like many people, I doubt if anyone I know even had any relatives or close friends who died that day...but I still feel the impact, to this day. I'm not going to get political, but I know I'll never forget 9/11...just as I'll never forget seeing members of congress standing on those steps, singing "God Bless America."

Never forget 9/11.
And never forget how this country pulled together.
For a few months, anyway.