View Full Version : Cingular EDGE network speed

SteveHoward999
09-06-2006, 05:59 AM
I've been using my phone - Nokia 6682 - as a MODEM for my PPC and my Laptop while on a business trip. My laptop reports a connection speed of 460 kbps, which should be about 10 times faster than a 56k MODEM, but my actual speeds in use for web and email are more like 3 - 5k with bursts up to 20.

So - is there a trick to getting speeds closer to the reported maximum, or am I facing some kind of contention thing where that 460k is somehow shared with others? I tried speaking to a Cingular 'expert' at a Cingular store this evening, but he was clueless, so I figured the real experts are here :-)

Oh - as I type I am in Atlanta, GA, which should have good EDGE coverage according to Cingular's maps.

Nurhisham Hussein
09-06-2006, 07:14 AM
Steve, the connection speed that Win XP reports is manually adjustable and relates to the max speed Win XP will communicate with the modem. It has nothing to do with the actual speed you get. That's determined by a lot of other factors like distance from a base station, signal strength, network congestion, and interference. IIRC EDGE is supposed to get 238kbps (kilobits per second), which approximates to about 30KBps (KiloBytes per second).

Since you seem to be getting about 60% of that speed, I think everythings already configured as best it can be - that's about par for the course when dealing with cellular data signals. I've got a 3G handset with a theoretical maximum of 384kbps (or about 48KBps), but usually the best I can get is around 1/3 of that in normal browsing, and about 2/3rds when downloading something from a fast server.

SteveHoward999
09-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Thanks for that. Two thoughts

Aren't ALL MODEM speeds quoted as k bits, e.g. a 56k MODEM is 56k-bits, or 7kBytes per second?

If so, then my typical connection speed as reported by the phone is 2k Bytes, with bursts up to 20k Bytes. But that means my typical connection is not 60% of the theoretical max, but 6%. OK You are right that the burst speed reaces 60%, but silly me I had expected to get a more consistent, higher speed connection. This "fast" EDGE connection is rather less blistering that Cingular seem to want us to believe. Grrrrr

Still - I do like the fact that I can have unlimited data access for a relatively painless price. I once spent around $400 on data charges while working away from home for 4 days!

[Edit] I just downloaded a file, Windows reported it was at 19kBytes initially, then settled to about 10k. I's been a while since I used a MODEM regularly, and so I;d forgotten ... typically a download on a 56k MODEM used to be 3 - 5k with an occasional 7k on a good day. Put like that, I'd still like to see a consistently higher speed, but at least I know I am getting a little bit faster than pots dial-up :-/

Nurhisham Hussein
09-06-2006, 01:21 PM
If so, then my typical connection speed as reported by the phone is 2k Bytes, with bursts up to 20k Bytes. But that means my typical connection is not 60% of the theoretical max, but 6%. OK You are right that the burst speed reaces 60%, but silly me I had expected to get a more consistent, higher speed connection. This "fast" EDGE connection is rather less blistering that Cingular seem to want us to believe. Grrrrr

There are so many variables, especially network loading, that can affect your connection speeds. At some points during the day, but especially during lunch time, my 3G line throughput drops to almost nothing. At other times it absolutely blazes. I wouldn't necessarily blame Cingular for not getting consistent connection speed - this isn't like a landline, where your bandwidth is assured.

...but at least I know I am getting a little bit faster than pots dial-up :-/

Yeah I loved the old days...NOT! :lol:

powercx
09-06-2006, 08:59 PM
I recently just switched to Cingular for their 3G Network after with Verizon for less than 2 years for their 3G Network. I can honestly say that Verizon is more stable when it comes to speed, no matter where you are, or how fast you're travelling while surfing the internet. I'm not talking about blazing fast speed such as 700kbps, but I'm talking about an average of 408kbps or a burst speed of 760kbps on an occasion, but 408kbps is about average.

After switching to Cingular for their UMTS Data Network (3G), I found it to be averaging out slower than Verizon on the same location I surf the internet with Verizon 3G Network. With Cingular, I get more EDGE Signal as my phone displays the icon rather than the U icon or 3G icon. Eventhough I can barely tell the speed difference, I can however tell big difference when it switched to G icon for their GPRS speed.

I wish I can go back to Verizon for 3G Network, but it's pointless to pay an extra $80/month for just 3G Network while I already have a Family Plan with Cingular. So why not add 3G Data Plan to an existing plan is what I figured.

Nurhisham Hussein
09-07-2006, 01:22 AM
I'm not talking about blazing fast speed such as 700kbps, but I'm talking about an average of 408kbps or a burst speed of 760kbps on an occasion, but 408kbps is about average.

UMTS only goes up to 384kbps - how did you get those figures?

powercx
09-09-2006, 07:49 AM
I'm not talking about blazing fast speed such as 700kbps, but I'm talking about an average of 408kbps or a burst speed of 760kbps on an occasion, but 408kbps is about average.

UMTS only goes up to 384kbps - how did you get those figures?

I used a speed tested from 3 different places.

I got a faster average speed off verizon 3G network, average of 500kbps.

BTW, are you sure its up to 384kbps not average?

Nurhisham Hussein
09-09-2006, 04:51 PM

Positive - 384kbps is the current max for 3G, unless you have access to HSDPA, in which case you can expect 1.8MBps and up to 14MBps later on.

Cybrid
09-11-2006, 07:34 AM

Positive - 384kbps is the current max for 3G, unless you have access to HSDPA, in which case you can expect 1.8MBps and up to 14MBps later on.Errr.... I'm guessing here but it seems he was discussing 500-700 kbps on EVDO/CDMA networks. he is also probably basing that on bandwidth tests like www.dslreports.com which is misleading.
From his post it seems that he was on Verizon for data but switched to Cingular for billing simplicity.

Nurhisham Hussein
09-11-2006, 08:13 AM
Errr.... I'm guessing here but it seems he was discussing 500-700 kbps on EVDO/CDMA networks. he is also probably basing that on bandwidth tests like www.dslreports.com which is misleading.
From his post it seems that he was on Verizon for data but switched to Cingular for billing simplicity.

Ah, that would explain it. But I seem to remember powercx claiming he got those speeds with a Universal, which was never issued as a CDMA phone, much less EVDO ready. Or was I mistaken?

Cybrid
09-11-2006, 06:13 PM
I recently just switched to Cingular for their 3G Network after with Verizon for less than 2 years for their 3G Network. I can honestly say that Verizon is more stable when it comes to speed, no matter where you are, or how fast you're travelling while surfing the internet. I'm not talking about blazing fast speed such as 700kbps, but I'm talking about an average of 408kbps or a burst speed of 760kbps on an occasion, but 408kbps is about average..
.....I wish I can go back to Verizon for 3G Network, but it's pointless to pay an extra $80/month for just 3G Network while I already have a Family Plan with Cingular. So why not add 3G Data Plan to an existing plan is what I figured.Lol :lol:
The cliff notes....quiz questions in bold. No mention of Universal. :lol:

Nurhisham Hussein
09-12-2006, 01:29 AM
:wink: I know Cybrid. He mentioned it in another post, if you must know. I'm not that senile yet!

Cybrid
09-12-2006, 06:26 AM
:wink: I know Cybrid. He mentioned it in another post, if you must know. I'm not that senile yet!Sorry...Just can't resist pulling your leg...I'm evil, I know.

powercx
09-12-2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

Overall, from experience, and you guys can confirm it, if you have experience with Verizon 3G Network, is it faster than Cingular UMTS (3G) Network?

My phone has the capability of HSDPA, it's model LG CU500 and connected via Bluetooth from my ipaq 2795 with Cingular Service.

While I was with Verizon, I had their Audiovox 6600 Pocket PC Phone Edition. So the speed test from Broadband DSL Report was faster than Cingular Data Network, in average.

I hope that clarify it even more. Cingular don't have a 3G Pocket PC Phone available yet. I'm still waiting so I can get rid of my gezillion stand alone Pocket PC PDA. :)

airspeed
02-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Hi powercx,

I have a Toshiba 755 I bought in Dec. 2003. It has a CF card slot and a SD slot, it has built in wifi but no bluetooth.

Hotspots were virtually impossible to find back then (and still are where I live). So it went right into my retired electronics pile. Then GPS interested me but battery power and unaffordable memory ditched that idea. Plus I needed some kind of a gadget to connect the Toshiba to a GPS.

I guess from your post the PDA craze is dead. Is everybody going to PDA phones? I wouldn't even consider a slow connection--so which company has the absolute best speed now and of course the phones to support it??

thanks airspeed

Cybrid
03-30-2007, 06:51 PM
I guess from your post the PDA craze is dead. Is everybody going to PDA phones? I wouldn't even consider a slow connection--so which company has the absolute best speed now and of course the phones to support it??

thanks airspeedThe PDA craze isn't so much dead as transforming since it is adapting to the cellular craze. Internet from the time of CF POTS modems to WiFi integration to Cellular integration have driven the market. :Must have pr0n: 8O

Admittedly I'm biased but I did post some stats here
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54386&highlight=edge