View Full Version : Help - Restore Backup not working on iPAQ 5555

LouieTK
09-06-2006, 04:58 AM
For the first time in a long time my iPAQ 5555 discharged completely and performed a hard reset. And now I realize my backup (on my desktop) is a few months old, though that file would still have all my iPAQ software and settings. When I attempt to restore the backup file, though, every time I connect the 5555 as a Guest (as various posts here and at Microsfot instruct), browse to my backup file, and click "Restore", I get an error saying the backup file is invalid. How can I use what I believe to be a legitimate and uncorrupted backup file?

A few possibly relevant points:
---I always backed up my iPAQ to a folder I designated, so not to the default ActiveSync folder. My designated folder is where I'm browsing to when I attempt my restore (and receive the error).
---I transitioned to a new desktop since the last time I backed up the iPAQ, adn so the backup file was copied over from the previous desktop.
---Since first having difficulty with this restore operation, I've deleted my original partnership in case that named backup profile was conflicting with "Guest", but that had no impact (I made a copy of the partnership files before deleting the partnership).
I'm running ActiveSync 3.7.1 on my desktop. Do I need to install ActiveSync on the newly reset iPAQ before it will permit a restore, perhaps?

Thanks for any help.

Nurhisham Hussein
09-06-2006, 05:06 AM
I'm running ActiveSync 3.7.1 on my desktop. Do I need to install ActiveSync on the newly reset iPAQ before it will permit a restore, perhaps?

Activeysnc is already included as part of the OS - there's no need (and no way) to reinstall it.

---Since first having difficulty with this restore operation, I've deleted my original partnership in case that named backup profile was conflicting with "Guest", but that had no impact (I made a copy of the partnership files before deleting the partnership).

Have you tried recreating the partnership (using the same name), and then trying to restore?

LouieTK
09-06-2006, 05:14 AM
Good idea, but yes, I've tried that. Still no go using the same name as the old partnership.

Thanks. Other ideas?