View Full Version : The "windows" button makes my phone freeze!

wifi4milez
09-06-2006, 12:12 AM
I have noticed something very strange with my Sprint PPC-6700 running WM5. I recently began using a 2GB mini-sd card for storage. Since then, the first time I press the windows button (looks like a wavy flag) after a restart the whole device freezes for about 30 seconds. After this it is fine and this only occurs after a soft reset (which needs to be done at least once a day!) Is there any reason this is happening? How can I fix it?

Darius Wey
09-06-2006, 04:23 AM
Sounds like a software issue. Have you installed any applications recently?

JesterMania
09-06-2006, 04:25 AM
First of all, have you taken out the MiniSD card to see if it makes a difference after a soft reset? I know on my device, there is an initial lag of a few seconds just as you've described, but nothing as extreme as 30 seconds. People attribute this problem to programs you've installed on MiniSD (and probably the time it takes to initialize them at first boot) so if you're installed some things on SD, it could be the cause. However, I've installed everything on device memory (and use my SD Card purely for file storage) and still have those problems myself. I'm not sure what the exact cause would be but nothing to the extreme of 30 seconds for sure.

wifi4milez
09-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Sounds like a software issue. Have you installed any applications recently?

Not really, this basically began to happen when I started using the memory card.

wifi4milez
09-06-2006, 03:20 PM
First of all, have you taken out the MiniSD card to see if it makes a difference after a soft reset? I know on my device, there is an initial lag of a few seconds just as you've described, but nothing as extreme as 30 seconds. People attribute this problem to programs you've installed on MiniSD (and probably the time it takes to initialize them at first boot) so if you're installed some things on SD, it could be the cause. However, I've installed everything on device memory (and use my SD Card purely for file storage) and still have those problems myself. I'm not sure what the exact cause would be but nothing to the extreme of 30 seconds for sure.

Here is the weird part. Sometimes I can do a soft reset and then use the phone and the device's other functions for literally hours. Everything works fine until I press the windows button. If I understand what you are saying, is the phone not starting to load those programs until that time? If so, I would find it weird since I am accessing programs on the card during the initial hour or so, its just that I didnt press the windows button specifically.

Brad Adrian
09-06-2006, 04:14 PM
It almost sounds as though the device is searching for something the first time you press that button. If you look at the files on your phone, what do you see under the \Windows\Start Menu\ folder? That's where the shortcuts are kept for what shows up when you press that key.

Also, does the same thing happen when you tap on the Start menu at the top of the screen? If not, then I'd say it's a problem with the button mapping.

wifi4milez
09-06-2006, 04:36 PM
It almost sounds as though the device is searching for something the first time you press that button. If you look at the files on your phone, what do you see under the \Windows\Start Menu\ folder? That's where the shortcuts are kept for what shows up when you press that key.

Also, does the same thing happen when you tap on the Start menu at the top of the screen? If not, then I'd say it's a problem with the button mapping.

It shows :

Programs (folder)
Settings (folder)
Calculator 10B
Calendar 34B
Contacts 34B
Internet Expl. 9B
Messaging 11B
SlingPlayer 66B
Windows Media 28B

The same thing happens if I tap the Start menu on the homepage or if I press the Windows button.

Brad Adrian
09-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Okay, it sounds like your system is being slowed down by what's in your Start menu. Try going into Start>Settings>Menus and de-select everything. Then, do a soft reset and see if it still chokes.

If it doesn't, try going back to the Menus screen and add your items one at a time to see which one(s) is the culprit. I don't know much about SlingPlayer, but all the others seem pretty innocuous.

Brad Adrian
09-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Come to think of it, that SlingPlayer shortcut is quite a bit larger than the others. Even though 60+ bytes doesn't seem like much, that's very atypical for shortcuts.

What happens when you simply remove THAT application from your Start menu?

wifi4milez
09-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Come to think of it, that SlingPlayer shortcut is quite a bit larger than the others. Even though 60+ bytes doesn't seem like much, that's very atypical for shortcuts.

What happens when you simply remove THAT application from your Start menu?

I tried doing so and nothing changed. I am still getting 12+ seconds of "hang time".