View Full Version : Wired vs. Bluetooth GPS

jdadverb
09-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Obviously Bluetooth GPS is probably more convenient to connect to my iPaq, but is it worth the extra $100-$200? Any thoughts on benefits or major downsides to wired are appreciated.

SteveHoward999
09-04-2006, 05:58 PM
there's not really a price premium. Plenty of Bluetooth options below $100 - look on eBay

Edgar_
09-05-2006, 01:32 AM
No cable :) - less chance of breakage - those IPAQ dock slots are not sturdy and PocketPCTechs makes a bundle replacing them

I have the BT338 and would never buy a cabled unit. I use this with Laptop and PPC - it has a 17+ hr battery, no speed diffrence and less bulk (no cables/wires/plugs

I agree, they aren't that much more - just make sure you get SIRF III w/WAAS

Good site for GPS forums and information is www.gpspassion.com

Brad Adrian
09-05-2006, 10:47 PM
I've only been using a GPS unit for a few months, but I'd definitely recommend the BT variety. It eliminates the need for a new cable or adapter if you get a different device.

Cybrid
09-11-2006, 08:37 AM
I've only been using a GPS unit for a few months, but I'd definitely recommend the BT variety. It eliminates the need for a new cable or adapter if you get a different device. No, it simply requires a BT adapter or capable device. It may be a longer lived standard than say SD or CF but nonetheless...It does influence your next purchase i.e. must have BT.

Difference between Sirf II and Sirf III is 3 dBm or 2x more sensitive. WAAS is a corrected signal for better accuracy. Doesn't mean you can't live without it...You're not geosurveying are you? :lol:

Not having the device feed of your PDA battery is nice but so is not having to fuss with BT. Longer battery life and patience vs Plug it in it works. Up to you.

I abstain from recommending one over the other.