View Full Version : New Sony Reader

davidw89
09-02-2006, 02:56 PM
Hell guys iam new..just registered and would like some help before buying my next e-book reader. I have done some research and iam interested n this Sony one coming out this fall.

http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/assets/pa/prs/index.html

It has a new technolgoy called e-ink which is supposedly makes your eye less tiring..and being a high school student i tend not to use the comp too much because my eye does get too tiring (using LCD as well).
This e-book reader can also play mp3 and you can also attach an SD memory card (i plan to use an 1gb one), but iam not sure if it offers similar fuction to a pocket pc. I am also not sure if it can read Microsoft word/.txt/pdf file downloaded off the text..also not sure if it has like a feature where you can store what you have to do today/tomorrow for homework etc? Like a calender reminder etc/ But mostly i will just use it for music/e-book. Pardon the noob but iam not sure how a pocket pc compare to this..hey i dont even know what a pocket pc is, what it does etc can someone point me to a link that tells me/

Thanks a bunch/

ADBrown
09-02-2006, 10:58 PM
As far as I'm aware, it will only read PDF and Sony proprietary files. No Word or plain text. Also no PIM functions like calendar.

A Pocket PC is a handheld computer running Microsoft's Windows Mobile operating system. Minimum capabilities for a Pocket PC (or "PPC") are PIM functions (personal information management, such as calendar, to-do list, notepad, contact list, and voice notes), web browsing and email, music and video, and office documents (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).

Some models of Pocket PC also come with other features such as higher resolution screens, GPS navigation, built-in cell phones, wireless capabilities, etcetera.

With any Pocket PC, you can add a variety of third-party software such as games, maps, tools, utilities, etcetera.

davidw89
09-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Why would they make it so that you cant read text or Word document. Its fine with me i'l w ait until theres a 100% compatability e-ink technology one then

Nurhisham Hussein
09-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Why would they make it so that you cant read text or Word document.

Unfortunately, that's Sony for you - they seem to have this policy of going their own way (remember BetaMax? and Memory Sticks?).

ChristopherTD
09-04-2006, 10:36 AM
eBooks are a major reason for me owing a PDA, and I have a large number of them. However, they are convenient because I can read them on a device that already carry with me - I can't see buying a separate device that only reads books (and in one format). The extra benefits of a (potentially) better screen are not enough to make me want to add another gadget to my bag.

I could, however, see potential in such a device for technical manuals with extensive diagrams or images.

Steve Jordan
09-04-2006, 07:01 PM
I can't see buying a separate device that only reads books (and in one format). The extra benefits of a (potentially) better screen are not enough to make me want to add another gadget to my bag.

I'd agree there. It's a shame you have trouble reading on laptops... on the other hand, MS ClearType (an option in software like the MS Reader, and built in to many laptops I believe) is designed to take some of the crispness out of screen type that adds to eyestrain and fatigue. I'd look into applying ClearType to your laptop, and see if that makes it easier to read e-books (and everything else, besides).

ClearType is also available on PPCs, so you could read e-books on a PPC, as well as using it for other functions (PIM, music, even actual work in Pocket Word, Excel, etc). Having a PPC means you don't have to lug the laptop around or use it as much, and it's a lot more portable than Sony's reader. Take a look at a few PPCs, and see if they won't work as well for what you want.

This site is actually very good for showing you various types of PPCs (same as PDAs, basically) to review, compare and contrast. Then get out to your local electronics or office supply store to see them up close.

davidw89
09-06-2006, 07:35 AM
I guess i will wait a few more years then..until some decent companies start making e-book e-ink technolgoy that is universal compatiable.

Steve Jordan
09-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Not a bad plan. Future e-book readers might add PPC or laptop functions, so you can cut down on the amount of electronic gear you need for school.