View Full Version : Extending Wifi....with a second router

merk1821
09-01-2006, 07:12 AM
Hi PPCT readers....

I want to extend the range of a Wifi network with a second Wifi router. I have tried for about 8 hours trying to get the 2 routers to talk to each other. They are Trendnet's TEW432 routers and dont have the more up to date WDS protocol to allow to do this. There is also no way for me to shut off the WAN port and any time that i shut off the DHCP server the router freezes up. I know there is a way to do this but after 8 hours i am stumped. Help......

Nurhisham Hussein
09-01-2006, 03:31 PM
I don't know if this will help at all, but try reading through this (short) thread (http://forum.mypdacafe.com/viewtopic.php?t=11223) for ideas.

Sven Johannsen
09-02-2006, 04:06 AM
You don't extend the WiFi with a second WiFi Router, you do so with a repeater. I am assuming you are trying to have the second AP pick up the signal from the first and rebroadcast it. Not gonna happen, if it doesn't have a repeater mode. You can cable from the first router, to the second connecting into the WAN port, and have them both broadcasting. Let the second pull it's address off the first and let it issue addresses on it's own network.

It's easier to just get a second AP, as that doesn't add the complexity of not wanting the routing functions of the second box, but you still have to cable. Better still buy a repeater or range extender, which is designed to do what it seems you want.