View Full Version : Solar Charging a PPC -> voltage issues?

Trip
08-29-2006, 05:09 PM
So I've ordered a USB->ETen M600 Cable and I'm thinking of ordering a USB Solar Panel charger so I can charge my PPC while hiking. Sounds great in theory. Is there a standard voltage for USB cables, or do I need to worry about the voltage from the solar panels being correct? Is it possible to harm my PPC Phone using a setup like this?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Nurhisham Hussein
08-29-2006, 07:37 PM
I don't think this is a workable idea - you needn't worry about USB voltage per se, as that's standard at 5V. What you do need to worry about is amperes, as in if there is enough generated by the solar panels to actually charge your phone. The standard PC USB port generates 500mA. Most solar chargers I've seen designed for phones don't generate enough to charge a PDA-phone.

A lot of these types of solar chargers have an internal battery to smoothen out the voltages, but if the amps are too low, your phone will end up charging that battery rather than the other way around. There was a couple of very long discussion on this topic at firstloox.org a while back:

Link1 (http://www.firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4688&)

Link2 (http://www.firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5424&)

Trip
08-29-2006, 08:42 PM
The solar chargers Ive seen work by charging either NiMH or Li-ion batteries first over a long time, and then the battery is used to charge whatever is attached to it via USB. They are advertised as chargers for mp3 players, cell phones and PDAs.

Perhaps in this way they can supply the necessary amps...?

Brad Adrian
08-30-2006, 01:08 AM
The simplest and safest way might be to use a solar panel to charge simple AA-type batteries, which can then be used to charge/extend the battery in your device using something like this:

http://www.pocketpctechs.com/main~unit~iMATE_JASJAR-496~area~accessories-Power+Accessories~item~USB-BATADPT01.htm

Nurhisham Hussein
08-30-2006, 01:22 AM
The solar chargers Ive seen work by charging either NiMH or Li-ion batteries first over a long time, and then the battery is used to charge whatever is attached to it via USB. They are advertised as chargers for mp3 players, cell phones and PDAs.

Perhaps in this way they can supply the necessary amps...?

Not necessarily - if you go this route, check the rated specs carefully. If the Eten charges comfortably through a USB connection with a PC, then your minimum requirement is 5V, 500mA.

I've actually got one that will work with my iPaq 2210, but not with my Loox 720. What happens is the Loox power draw is too high, and the charger just can't cope. I also found that the rated specs on the one I got were waaaayyy off reality (voltage was a full 15% lower than rated spec) - so buyer beware.

Trip
08-30-2006, 12:44 PM
So using a "battery extender (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Battery-Extender-Charger-Eten-E-ten-M500-M600_W0QQitemZ290023265969QQihZ019QQcategoryZ48674QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)" which uses 4 AA's to charge the M600 should work just fine, and I can charge these batteries with a solar panel designed to charge AA's.

Sounds about right?

Nurhisham Hussein
08-30-2006, 01:10 PM
TBH I'd go with an external LiIon battery - these AA batteries tend to have voltage drops as you run them down. Having said that, it should work.

ctmagnus
08-31-2006, 02:14 AM
TBH I'd go with an external LiIon battery - these AA batteries tend to have voltage drops as you run them down. Having said that, it should work.

Pocket PC Tech's AA battery extender (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/main~unit~Dell_Axim_X51v-509~area~accessories-Power+Accessories~item~USB-BATADPT01.htm) has a VRC switch whose purpose afaik is to prevent the voltage drops.

Trip
08-31-2006, 10:56 AM
I notice on Pocket PC Tech's page that they don't mention NiMH batteries... are they not usable with battery extenders to charge a PDA's Li-ion battery?

ctmagnus
09-01-2006, 02:08 AM
I notice on Pocket PC Tech's page that they don't mention NiMH batteries... are they not usable with battery extenders to charge a PDA's Li-ion battery?

The label on my extender mentions only Alkaline/Lithium and NiCd batteries. So I really don't know. :oops: Sorry. Here's their contact page (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/main~unit~_No_Unit-0~area~contact_us.htm) if you'd like to ask them. Alternatively, if you happen to catch lwesson hanging around here, you could ask him.

zippyioa
09-03-2006, 09:38 AM
You could always look a one of these!! 8)

http://www.solio.com/v2/

Trip
09-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Being able to charge it from both solar and an outlet... that's awesome. I was wondering if there was something like that out there.

It doesn't list my ETen M600/iTorq P120 in there nor my GPS... but maybe it supports USB in which case... hopefully that would work!

Technical specs of the solio related to power:

#Rated Output: 4 -12V, 0 - 1 Amp (max)
#Solar panel output: 155mA @ 6V
#Internal Battery: Rechargeable 3.6 volts, 1600mAh lithium-ion

"0-1 Amp"... hmm. One thing about getting a slightly lesser known model like the ETen M600 is lack of support and accessories available for it :p

Looks like they support mini-USB only, no regular USB output. They support 12V car charger adapter though, and I have a 12V car charger to USB adapter so I guess I could go that way... seems pretty convoluted though, not sure if it would work.

zippyioa
09-03-2006, 01:26 PM
My XDA2i isnt supported either, but as you said there is a car charger and I have one of those for powering my GPS and charging the XDA2i while I'm in my car. I guess means I could also use my GPS away from the car at the same time and have portable sat nav!!

They offer many different plug types, so the idea is you can carry the Solio and a selection of plugs to charge anything you own using the power of the sun - so no electric costs. 8)

You can also plug the Solio into the mains to top it up on a cloudy day/at night and charge other things at the same time. This saves you from taking lots of different chargers with you when you are travelling.

Basically if you keep the Solio fully charged while you are out and about (and away from power) you can use it to charge any number of gadgets and gizmos! Its on my list of things to get and I reckon it will be a must have when I do get one 8)

Trip
09-03-2006, 02:25 PM
They offer many different plug types, so the idea is you can carry the Solio and a selection of plugs to charge anything you own using the power of the sun - so no electric costs.
Not enough plug types though it seems! I wonder if solio->12V car charger output->12V car charger to 5V USB adapter->USB cable->ETen M600 would work at all.

It does seem like a good idea, but doesn't yet support everything under the sun by a ways...

do you work for them?

zippyioa
09-03-2006, 02:31 PM
That is quite a long line of cables just to power you PPC!!! :lol:

If you get in touch with them through their site, they may be able to advise the best option for you, or work towards creating a solution for all ETen users!?

No I don't work for them - I just think they have an excellent product! 8)

Nurhisham Hussein
09-03-2006, 03:28 PM
I remember talking about this when discussing solar chargers for the Loox 720 - we had to drop the Solio as an option because of the Loox's high power draw. That's not to say it won't charge the Eten though (I suspect it might).

On the subject of connecting, is the Eten mini-USB? In that case, just get the mini-USB tip and interchageable tip - no need for the long hook-up.

Trip
09-03-2006, 03:30 PM
is the Eten mini-USB?
Its got its own proprietary connection :(

BoxWave
09-10-2006, 08:42 AM
Interesting -- can someone link up some of the better examples of solar charging?