View Full Version : I Don't Have A Problem......Do I?

Brad Adrian
08-28-2006, 08:06 PM
I just gained a bit of introspective insight -- which doesn't happen all that often for me -- and it scared me little bit. I realized I've been doing something out of habit every day for years, but I just really noticed it for the first time today.

I noticed that whenever I perform a soft-reset of my Pocket PC, I immediately pick up one of my "spare" Pocket PCs and fiddle with it while waiting the 60 or 70 seconds it takes my primary device to reset. Am I truly so hooked on my Windows Mobile devices that my psyche can't even stand to be away from them during a soft-reset? 8O

...and if I AM so seriously hooked, what kind of support group do we need to form?

"Hey, man, I don't have a problem. I can stop anytime I want...!"

isajoo
08-28-2006, 09:22 PM
ohhhh, AA for ppcs

lets call it PPCA

we can have a 12 step program

1: only use ppc for work/job purposes.

2: stop using the ppc in the bathroom or other improper places like theatre/church.

3:stop using the when bored.

4:stop using it in bed.

5:if ppc crashes, before reseting take 10 full breaths in/out.

6:stay away from ppct.com for a while, it is just like a bar for drunks.

7:try and run your ppc without installing extra software. that is where most temptation occurs.

8:keep the ppc away from u at all times, when not at work. leave it home when going out/vacation.

9:STOP upgrading your ppc every 3-6 months.

10:turn off both bluetooth and wifi.

11:STOP playing games on your ppc.

12:sell all unnessary accessories/extra ppc's on ebay.

if u follow these steps u will one day be cured of this infection.

ALSO if any one answered yes to doing 6 out of 12 of these steps.... U also have a problem.

YOU ARE A PocketPCalic :!:

Seek HELP :twisted:

JesterMania
08-28-2006, 10:37 PM
I immediately pick up one of my "spare" Pocket PCs

I wish I could say that! 8O

6:stay away from ppct.com for a while, it is just like a bar for drunks.

Hahahaha...that nearly killed me. :lol:

Jon Westfall
08-29-2006, 12:18 PM
I noticed that whenever I perform a soft-reset of my Pocket PC, I immediately pick up one of my "spare" Pocket PCs and fiddle with it while waiting the 60 or 70 seconds it takes my primary device to reset.

It could just be a healthy sense of paranoia. Considering that a few days ago I had a Soft Reset that, for some reason, my device couldn't pull out of (i.e. kept locking up) (it eventually required a hard reset), perhaps you are just checking the spares to make sure one could be called to active duty in the event of a problem with the primary!

Brad Adrian
08-29-2006, 05:31 PM
It could just be a healthy sense of paranoia...
Good point! that's also probably why I often can't take my eyes off Activesync until I see the "synchronized" message appear.

ctmagnus
08-29-2006, 09:50 PM
It could just be a healthy sense of paranoia...
Good point! that's also probably why I often can't take my eyes off Activesync until I see the "synchronized" message appear.

I feel your pain... :grouphug:

I find that with AS4.2, avoiding third-party ActiveSync plugins helps a lot in this regard. That means no PhatNotes or My Sport Training syncing for me for now, but I'm always hopeful that the next release of these applications will mention "faster syncing".

Tony Rylow
08-30-2006, 06:52 PM
I have a backup smartphone that I keep charged and ready to go. I've been wondering lately how much time I could save by not using a PPC and just switching back to a regular phone. Then I pull out thekeyboard on my MDA and realize how much I enjoy using it...

Brad Adrian
08-30-2006, 10:53 PM
...avoiding third-party ActiveSync plugins helps a lot in this regard. That means no PhatNotes...
I don't know that the ultimate culprit has been identified yet, but it seems to me that it is somehow related at a high level to when and how the various applications attempt to access the Activesync connection. For my configuration, PhatNotes works fine, as does Spb Weather, even though they're among the applications fighting for a place in the communication pipeline. What finally fixed my problems was making sure that my Inbox was pointing to my Outlook account, and not a POP3 account; I think the latter somehow gets into conflicts with applications over which ones get to communicate first. Oddly, making that one change has eliminated my synching problems 100%.

Maybe if there were a way to manually prioritize applications' access, making sure that App A is finished before App B chimes in, etc.