View Full Version : 4 GB Secure Digital card compatible with Axim 51V

joderias
08-25-2006, 08:19 PM
What 4GB Secure Digital cards are compatible with the Axim 51v?

Can someone who has successfully used a 4 GB SD card with the Dell Axim 51V please post their story?

I appreciate this since today at this forum I was told that the new format for the SD cards is called SDA 2.0, and allows up to 32 GB in storage, however that format is not backwards compatible with the previous SD cards, therefore devices such as my Axim 51v will have problems reading those

apauaie
08-25-2006, 10:30 PM
I have try topram 4GB and adata 4GB with my x51v...no problem at all... but the adata is not compatible with my card reader....i have to buy a new one.... I also have a friend who uses 8GB sd card with his x51v.... but i don't think it is the SDA you were mentioning about....

Brad Adrian
08-26-2006, 06:23 AM
Ditto. I've been using the 4GB card with my X51v for weeks now without any problems. I wonder why yours isn't compatible with your card reader, though (unless it's very old). I use one of those ultra-compact ones from SanDisk that's about the size of a thumnb-drive.

joderias
08-26-2006, 03:13 PM
so if I buy a Sandisk 4GB SD card at ebay for $50 I should be fine right?
Why do they cost $50 if their real prize is $100 at online stores?

haesslich
08-27-2006, 08:56 PM
so if I buy a Sandisk 4GB SD card at ebay for $50 I should be fine right?
Why do they cost $50 if their real prize is $100 at online stores?

Better make sure that card comes with a card reader like this one (http://www.sandisk.com/Products/ProductInfo.aspx?ID=1982), otherwise you're being ripped off - that's the only 4GB SD card Sandisk offers at this time. There are a LOT of fake Sandisk cards on eBay - and Heaven help you if you have a problem with one of those. The Ritek, A-Data, and Transcend cards ARE compatible, however, and they're mostly guaranteed with lifetime warrantees so you can return the card if you have hardware issues, unlike most of the ones you find on eBay.

joderias
09-03-2006, 11:05 AM
ok I am buying the Transcend Ultra Speed 4GB Secure Digital (SD) Flash Media Model TS4GSD150 - Retail

I hope I make a good investment

joderias
12-19-2006, 05:56 PM
I bought a Transcend Ultra Speed 4GB Secure Digital (SD) Flash Media Model TS4GSD150
it NEVER gaved me ANY problem

One day, while I was playing music at my gym, BOOM
It only played the first seconds of the songs

Then, I used Pocket Mechanic

I did a read/write test (preserving the data), which took ages to complete

After that, I read that there were various defective sectors

Then, the card stopped working

I hope I find the receipt since I want to buy a SanDisk Compact Flash card (very good thing about this Pocket PC, the CF and SD slots)

Do you think a SanDisk Compact Flash is more reliable than a Trascend Secure Digital?

I've already invested
$50 bad SanDisk 4 GB card
$100 4 GB Trascend Card
and today or tomorrow I will buy a $65 Compact Flash

I don't know how reliable SD cards are, but my dad has a card has a camera with Compact Flash, and those cards haven't had a single fault in 4 years.

haesslich
12-19-2006, 07:53 PM
I hope I find the receipt since I want to buy a SanDisk Compact Flash card (very good thing about this Pocket PC, the CF and SD slots)

Do you think a SanDisk Compact Flash is more reliable than a Trascend Secure Digital?

I've already invested
$50 bad SanDisk 4 GB card
$100 4 GB Trascend Card
and today or tomorrow I will buy a $65 Compact Flash

I don't know how reliable SD cards are, but my dad has a card has a camera with Compact Flash, and those cards haven't had a single fault in 4 years.

CF cards are pretty good - and I'd say so, given SanDisk has a limited lifetime warranty. Just don't buy it off eBay (again) - as you've discovered, there are a lot of Chinese fakes on there waiting for a sucker to buy them. Get it at a reputable store and you (should) be okay, especially if it's a chain like Best Buy or something.

disconnected
12-20-2006, 11:01 PM
I try to buy all my sd cards at a local store now, just because of compatability problems. I had to return one to Newegg once, and was charged a restocking fee because the card, although it didn't work with my iPAQ, was not actually "bad".

I read an article (on Wikipedia I think), that some of the new 4GB cards don't conform to the new standard, so I think maybe the ones that don't conform are the ones that work on PPCs.

Recently, Microcenter has been selling two brands of the 4GB cards for 99.00. One was Patriot I think and did not work in my iPAQ. The other was a house brand and does work. They let you return the cards with no penalty if it doesn't work with the device you want to use it with.

Nurhisham Hussein
12-21-2006, 05:03 AM
For PPCs just avoid any cards carrying the SDHC label. PPCs are fully compatible with the SDA1.0 standard, which is why 4GB cards can be a hit or miss affair. Non-SDHC 4GB SD cards aren't really compatible with either SDA1.0 or SDA2.0 (SDHC) standards.