View Full Version : I'm really confused.... ppc or laptop

isajoo
08-25-2006, 06:18 AM
I have had a tosiba e750 for 10 months but for the last almost 2 months it has been in fora repair.... i could ask the company to either replace the unit with another ppc with same features OR get the money back and spend $250-400 more on a laptop.....

PROBLEM 1
is i really loved my ppc and i an not sure if i will really take full advantage of the laptops features....plus the size is begining to scare me... i liked having access to a mini computer in my pocket... now i would have to LUG around this huge this in a backpack/case.... i dont think i am ready for that kind of commitment... I just want my old ppc back. in a way i hope they fix it soon... invested too many man hours into getting it to run without a hard reset for weeks...plus all the accessories will not work with other unit. VGA out to my plasma, USB mouse/keyboard.

PROBLEM 2
is that i know that a ppc is not really a full computer and i dont want to be stuck with a brick in another 6-12 months... software support for ppc compared to laptops is very little... i'm running wm2003/non-SE so chances are slim that the unit will support any kind of future upgrade...dont mean upgrades to wm2005, but in terms of software and web browsing support.

PLAN B - BACK UP
i could just call it quites and end the whole mobile pc thing...even laptops... TAKE the money and RUN. maybe just wait it out for some new gadget, like a affordable smartphone with WIFI... or a PS3 in a few months hopefully.

let me know what to do?

aroma
08-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Well, the million dollar question is... what exactly do you need to do with a mobile device? That's really the only way a question like this can be answered.

isajoo
08-25-2006, 06:20 PM
well... i am not in a enviroment where i have to use it for work.... basically to surf the web, "reading" ppcthoughts.com, and watch/listen to podcast/mp3 and playing games at work when bored. i know both can do this.

but most (meaning (80%) of the time the ppc is in my room/home. sooo, wouldn't a laptop be more powerful and more future freindly.

battery time would be about the same. 2-3 hours if wifi on.

it is not a easy choice to make.

would love to get something like the motorola Q if it had wifi and a little bigger screen. i dont wear glasses and dont want to start.

it has been a while since i have used my ppc, i think that is why i am having doubts... I know if i had it, i would not be confused or complaining.

I WANT THEM TO JUST FIX IT. :!:

Brad Adrian
08-26-2006, 06:17 AM
Remember... The Q isn't a Pocket PC Phone Edition, it's a SmartPhone. So, if you're considering something for surfing, writing, etc., I'd focus more on devices that are true Pocket PCs.

Back in 2000 when the Pocket PC was launched, we had constant discussions about whether it would serve as a decent PC relplacement. At the time, it really was no contest; we simply had to acknowledge the limitations of the platform and realize it wasn't a PC replacement.

Lately, though, as the power and depth of applications have grown, it's becoming easier and easier to leave my notebook at home when traveling. So, even though I'd still never consider the Pocket PC a 100% replacement for my notebook, I can do a lot more with it than I used to.

IF you really are serious about using a Pocket PC for a wide variety of tasks, I'd consider getting a few extras:

Adopt and become proficient at one of the various input methods, whether it's one of the built-in apps, or FITALY or Calligrapher. Practicing will minimize any frustrations with the slower-than-on-a-PC input. It's not uncommon to find a user who can input 40+ words per minute using Calligrapher or FITALY.

Getting a Bluetooth keyboard (and possibly a mouse) can be a good idea for those situations in which you want or need to do a lot of typing. If you get Bluetooth models like those offered by ThinkOutside, you can use them with a phone or if you should get a new PPC someday.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. If you have any questions, just let us know.

isajoo
08-26-2006, 08:52 PM
i use the sbp fullkeyboard which is fast as my typing on a pc... but another thing that flares me up is that not all websites support ppc format correctly, i have pieplus which makes surfing great, but when there are sites with flash or complex html programming, it does not display/work correctly.

i am going to keep using a ppc for the conveince, maybe even intergrate it in to my car mobile system.

i have actually had speed contest with people with laptops and smartphones for that matter, and compared many apps like web browsing load up speeds and startup time and also inputing data, like entering notes or contact info, and the ppc is really amazingly faster.

2-5 seconds to start up, 2-5 seconds to load apps and 3-10 seconds to load most webpages. that combined with 2-3 hours battery life. awesome.

mp3/video functions that NO other player has, like streaming audio from internet or from a home network.
downloading files straight to a ppc using wifi, agian from internet or from a home network.

I LOVE PPC's.

just needed to be reminded.

eg. sort of like being away from the wife and forgeting the special thing about her that make her better than other women.

ctmagnus
08-27-2006, 03:05 AM
My short answer: Both.

Although if I had to pick one, I'd begrudgingly go with the Pocket PC.