View Full Version : Question about the screen on PPC 6700

reallyrob
08-25-2006, 04:59 AM
Well, so far I have had this for almost 24 hours and I think I am really going to like it. Does anyone on the forum use a screen protector for your PPC 6700? Would you recommend buying some?
Also, on my PPC 6700, after awhile the screen goes dark...I guess it goes into sleep mode. Is there a special way to wake it up? If I tap the screen, it doesn't come back on...I push the power button on the top and then it comes on. Is this the way it is supposed to work?
Sorry if I am asking stupid questions, but this is my first pocket pc and I really am not used to it at all yet.

Nurhisham Hussein
08-25-2006, 05:06 AM
Does anyone on the forum use a screen protector for your PPC 6700? Would you recommend buying some?

While I don't own the 6700, I would absolutely recommend a screen protector, preferably a quality one. It's a cheap way to protect your investment, and the LCD is one of the more expensive parts to replace if anything goes wrong.

I push the power button on the top and then it comes on. Is this the way it is supposed to work?

Yup. The screen is the biggest battery killer, so the OS is configured to go into suspend mode after a preset time. You can configure the shutdown timer (or turn it off if you want), by going to Start->Settings->System tab->Power.

mobile v
08-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Yea you want the screen to shut off quickly; it wastes the battery. Also, if you set it to turn off at a longer interval, make sure you lock it so you don't end up "pocket dialing". My friend chewed me up cause I kept dialing him by accident.

reallyrob
08-25-2006, 10:09 AM
ok, so I want it to shut off quickly to save the battery. When I want to use it again, do I hit the power button on top?

Tierran
08-25-2006, 02:30 PM
I don't recommend a screen protector. I've had PDAs for 5 years now and never had the screen damaged because there was no protector. The most I've had it protect my screen from were normal wear and tear. Of course, its impossible to see the normal wear and tear on the screen unless you turn it off and hold it all sorts of odd angles to find the small hairline marks that are left after time.

A screen protector is the best way to make your screen look awful while telling yourself that underneath there it looks great. Not that you can see it since you've covered it up ;)

Brad Adrian
08-25-2006, 03:42 PM
I don't recommend a screen protector. I've had PDAs for 5 years now and never had the screen damaged because there was no protector.
While I'm happy that not everybody has had bad experiences without a screen protector, I think you'll find plenty of people who have. All it takes is one piece of grit on the tip of your stylus to etch marks all over the screen.

The key, though, is to get a high-quality protector; many of the inexpensive ones do affect brightness and appearance. However, the ones from Pocket PC Techs come in both regular and glare-reducing styles and IMO do NOT effect the screen's appearance.

Nurhisham Hussein
08-26-2006, 02:27 AM
While I'm happy that not everybody has had bad experiences without a screen protector, I think you'll find plenty of people who have. All it takes is one piece of grit on the tip of your stylus to etch marks all over the screen.

Abolsutely right. I use some high quality screen protectors, but with the kind of use I put them through they still get heavily marked up in the text input areas (I use letter recogniser a lot). About wear and tear - even that would have me wanting a screen protector. Maybe I'm anal that way, but if I put in $600-$700 on a device, I'd want to protect my investment.