View Full Version : Wifi set to work cannot see internet?

dannyoneill
08-18-2006, 10:16 AM
I have an annoying issue.

I have a wifi connection that connects to work, all is fine. I can remote desktop, sync emails no problems but I cannot connect to the internet, if I fire up any internet apps they always want to connect via GPRS. But if I change the wifi connection to say it connects to the internet it then cant see my work servers and always wants to use the VPN.

My work wifi has internet access. How can I have my JAMin (WM5) connect via wifi, to work but still have internet access?

Many Thanks

Cybrid
08-20-2006, 06:44 AM
I have an annoying issue.

I have a wifi connection that connects to work, all is fine. I can remote desktop, sync emails no problems but I cannot connect to the internet, if I fire up any internet apps they always want to connect via GPRS. But if I change the wifi connection to say it connects to the internet it then cant see my work servers and always wants to use the VPN.

My work wifi has internet access. How can I have my JAMin (WM5) connect via wifi, to work but still have internet access?

Many Thanks What OS?

Nurhisham Hussein
08-20-2006, 07:52 AM
Most likely what is happening is that your work network accesses the internet through a proxy, and these proxy settings need to be input into your work connection for you to get through that access.

dannyoneill
08-20-2006, 11:01 AM
OS, as in Windows mobile 5?

Nope, no proxy. Im an IT architect, I design networks for clients and designed and implemented our own. No proxy, just plain old NAT through a watchguard firewall. All clients on our lan have inet access without the need for proxy or logons.

It just seems to be WM5. It assumes work doesnt have internet access. If I set my work wifi to internet it works but then connecting to internal IP address's it wants to fire up the VPN. Its like it doesnt even try it just assumes you mustnt have access :evil:

Nurhisham Hussein
08-20-2006, 05:11 PM
Could you by any chance post on the contents of your network configuration, both work and internet?

Sven Johannsen
08-21-2006, 03:02 AM
It just seems to be WM5. It assumes work doesnt have internet access.
It does , until you tell it otherwise. Check in settings>Connections Tab> Connections. Does it say My Work Connection up near the top? Hit set up proxy server (just do it ;) There is a check box that says this network connects to the internet. Check it. Don't worry about the proxy check and address.

Drat, grabbed a non-phone WM5. Three suggestions, 1) check the this connects to the intenet box anyway on the WAP screen you likely got to. 2) Undeer manage existing connections select Auto Pick. 3) turn off the phone radio and get WiFi established. Then turn the phone back on. I saying this as a one time thing.