View Full Version : vwz 6700 tech questions....

billiards4me
08-17-2006, 08:52 AM
ok, got a few issues to be resolved.
first off.... how do you get email set up on this thing? i've got a hotmail account that i'd like to recieve those emails on my phone, and also be able to send from phone using the @hotmail.com account. i've tried doing this stuff from the messaging area, but just get lost in the shuffle.
second.... my ppc will randomly turn itself on. either in its case, or on the cradle, or plugged in on the car charger. the biggest pain is having it turn itself on in the case, cause then it starts calling people some times!! any ideas?
next... my case is a horizontal magnetic flip top. don't know if any of you have experianced this, but the magnetic field, as it passes by the phone, will turn it on. it's weird. you can try it, but it might just be an unlucky phone that i have, but whenever i put my ppc in its case, it'll pass by the magnets of the case lid, and sometimes will turn it on.... so it'll be on while in the case, and start calling people!
and finally..... is there any way to use the phone as a modem for my computer? i'm hooked up on vwz, and i have the full unlimitted data package for it, but i'm wanting to hook it up somehow (usb i guess) to the computer, and use it as a modem, maybe even with the evdo capabilities? any ideas?

thanks guys!!

Nurhisham Hussein
08-17-2006, 09:09 AM
first off.... how do you get email set up on this thing? i've got a hotmail account that i'd like to recieve those emails on my phone, and also be able to send from phone using the @hotmail.com account. i've tried doing this stuff from the messaging area, but just get lost in the shuffle.

Standard POP3 Email - pretty easy. Hotmail however is something else. IIRC, you can't actually access your hotmail account unless you subscribe to Pocket MSN, or by just using your web browser. In any case, neither uses the standard messaging applet.

second.... my ppc will randomly turn itself on. either in its case, or on the cradle, or plugged in on the car charger. the biggest pain is having it turn itself on in the case, cause then it starts calling people some times!! any ideas?

Read this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50624&).

next... my case is a horizontal magnetic flip top. don't know if any of you have experianced this, but the magnetic field, as it passes by the phone, will turn it on. it's weird. you can try it, but it might just be an unlucky phone that i have, but whenever i put my ppc in its case, it'll pass by the magnets of the case lid, and sometimes will turn it on.... so it'll be on while in the case, and start calling people!

I've heard of this happening with the HTC Hermes (yours is the HTC Apache btw), so it isn't just your device. It has something to do with the magnets triggering landscape mode (as if you've just slid down the keyboard).

and finally..... is there any way to use the phone as a modem for my computer? i'm hooked up on vwz, and i have the full unlimitted data package for it, but i'm wanting to hook it up somehow (usb i guess) to the computer, and use it as a modem, maybe even with the evdo capabilities? any ideas?

From memory, Verizon (you are on verizon, right?) specifically bars you from using PDA-phones as modems. There are workarounds available, but I don't know the details myself.

Janak Parekh
08-17-2006, 03:48 PM
and finally..... is there any way to use the phone as a modem for my computer?
From memory, Verizon (you are on verizon, right?) specifically bars you from using PDA-phones as modems. There are workarounds available, but I don't know the details myself.
Technically speaking, it is against Verizon's terms-of-service to use the PDA data plan to tether, at least until Verizon supports the tethering add-on (which it hasn't with the XV6700). If you are willing to risk the TOS (quite a few do, as long as they don't use the data excessively), then you may want to check out PDANet (http://www.junefabrics.com/pdanet/index.php). Remember, though, that you're using it at your own risk, and if Verizon flags you for excessive use, they may send you nasty letters, a bill, or shut down your data service. (Yeah, I don't like it either. :?)

You may also want to check out the PDA Phone Home (www.pdaphonehome.com) forums; there is a very active XV6700 forum, and if I remember correctly, some folks there hacked tethering in without the use of PDANet.

--janak

Cybrid
08-18-2006, 05:41 AM
ok, got a few issues to be resolved.
You have to sign into the Pocket MSN app that is included in the programs, after which the messaging application wil be able to handle that Hotmail account. Be aware this'll mean being on IM at the same time and may lead to lots of data use.

second.... my ppc will randomly turn itself on. either in its case, or on the cradle, or plugged in on the car charger. the biggest pain is having it turn itself on in the case, cause then it starts calling people some times!! any ideas? Mine did the same at first too. It seems that if the "wake when button is pushed feature" is enabled the thing will wake up and if the green button is depressed...it connects to the last incoming/outgoing #. Had a few stupid moments like that meself. It's actually common to non-clamshell phones of all types. My friends old Nokia dialled me all the time unbeknownst to him since my name starts with A.

Try start>settings>personal>buttons>lock> uncheck/check when device is off...lock all buttons except power button
and
press the green call button to see if that triggers calls.

Urban myth...
A woman got a call the night before her wedding from her fiance and heard him arguing and then having make-up sex with her best friend because his phone did exactly that. Phone model unknown.

next... my case is a horizontal magnetic flip top. don't know if any of you have experianced this, but the magnetic field, as it passes by the phone, will turn it on. it's weird. you can try it, but it might just be an unlucky phone that i have, but whenever i put my ppc in its case, it'll pass by the magnets of the case lid, and sometimes will turn it on.... so it'll be on while in the case, and start calling people! Yes, There's some kind of switch in the keyboard portion that can be magnetically triggered just as opening the keyboard turns the PPC on. Doesn't normally happen to me but I can do it intentionally.

thanks guys!! As Janak said. You can but need to verify with Verizon or risk the consequences.