View Full Version : Alphabetize remove programs

JesterMania
08-15-2006, 04:24 PM
I was just wondering, has anyone found a way to alphebetize the names of programs in the remove programs panel? Right now the programs seem to be listed by the order that they are installed.

Brad Adrian
08-15-2006, 05:25 PM
AFAIK, there is no way to change the listing order. It'd be nice, though!

Cybrid
08-15-2006, 06:23 PM
I was just wondering, has anyone found a way to alphebetize the names of programs in the remove programs panel? Right now the programs seem to be listed by the order that they are installed. Oh! thats easy....catalog all of them, alphabetize, hard reset, install in reverse alphabetic order 8O
But seriously, that data is probably in the registry.... maybe based on date of entry or the .unld? files used to uninstall apps.

JesterMania
08-15-2006, 08:24 PM
But seriously, that data is probably in the registry.... maybe based on date of entry or the .unld? files used to uninstall apps.

That could be a possibility. I noticed a while ago that if I did a restore with Spb Backup that all the existing program names in the list would be alphabetized. It'd just be nice if there was a way to sort this without resorting to loading a backup.

JonMisurda
08-15-2006, 09:26 PM
My guess is that this is the result of an enumeration of a registry key, but it might also be an enumeration of a directory.

I know that before WM5, the info on uninstalls was kept in \windows. I think WM5 moved that to the registry though.

If its in a registry, the trick would be to remove all the keys, sort them, then add them back. It's an annoying, but simple program to write. The only caveat being you're not gauranteed any particular enumeration's order will be preserved. But it probably is.

Do you want an alphabetical list of your apps, or do you really want to find things to uninstall alphabetically?

Jon

Brad Adrian
08-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Related to this issue, there are a couple of utilities I'd love to see somebody develop which would make application management a lot simpler.

1. I'd like an application that scans my device memory for user-installed applications and which then compiles a table listing:

Application name
Install date/time
Install location

That way, if I need to rebuild a device, I can install everything where it was before (or choose not to, I suppose).

2. How about a utility that scans for EXE files and, when each is found, prompts me to create a shortcut and for where I'd like it to be (e.g., in Games, Settings, etc.). For those times I've experienced a hard reset but still have apps sitting on a storage card, this could offer a quick way to get things up and running, at least until I could reinstall properly. I know this wouldn't fix a reset registry, but it could keep things functioning.

I am most definitely NOT a developer, so I may be naive in thinking these are plausible or good ideas. What do YOU think?

JesterMania
08-15-2006, 10:44 PM
Do you want an alphabetical list of your apps, or do you really want to find things to uninstall alphabetically?

Hmm...I'd say I want to find things to uninstall alphabetically. The list of programs in the Remove panel is hopelessly scattered (in terms of alphabetical order) so if I wanted to find a program to uninstall, it would take some scrolling up and down that list to find what I'm looking for.

I think what Brad Adrian recommended is a good idea too, and I see a small possible market for some uninstaller-type application, similar to those found on desktop versions of Windows.

Cybrid
08-16-2006, 07:22 PM
1. I'd like an application that scans my device memory for user-installed applications and which then compiles a table listing:

Application name
Install date/time
Install location

2. How about a utility that scans for EXE files and, when each is found, prompts me to create a shortcut and for where I'd like it to be (e.g., in Games, Settings, etc.). For those times I've experienced a hard reset but still have apps sitting on a storage card, this could offer a quick way to get things up and running, at least until I could reinstall properly. I know this wouldn't fix a reset registry, but it could keep things functioning.
Amen to 1.
but 2. is problematic. e.g. what about secondary files that the app might require...refer to Menneisyys' reviews and suggestions re: Memmaid and .dll relocation. Say during the hard reset an unrelocated .dll or some such is unavailable?
A quick solution does exist. backup/backup/backup. With Sprite, I have it back up every morning 4 a.m. automatically. It also keeps about 10 backups in reverse chronological order. An error? Hard reset and restore. If the backup is bad...go further back.

Also do a build backup. Most of us have a set of must haves. PI, NetFront, Whatever....
On your next hard reset and rebuild. Put all your must haves and tweak them. Then backup that and copy the storage card. Need to rebuild? Use that to restore. You'll have a "clean" device in minutes. I've run the same build for years....
Trust me, a solid backup app is worth your money.