View Full Version : Fix needed for constant syncronizing with WM5

Rod3
08-15-2006, 02:21 AM
I've searched, but can't find the fix I know someone on this site told me about. My Cingular 8125 syncronizes all the time, whether or not connected to my PC. Active Sync is turned on every little bit, and I'll turn on my screen to find it running. There's a fix using a fake exchange server that you then delete, but I can't remember it. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks so much,
Rod3

David_C
08-15-2006, 02:38 AM
Hope this helps:

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=1&cat=96&page=1&disp=posts&paged=3

Item #5 under the 5/31/06 date.

Dave

buckyg
08-15-2006, 03:10 AM
Is anyone aware of a similar fix for the PC side?

In other words, I have done the fake server fix on the PPC side. If the PPC is not cradled/connected to the PC, it stays "off". However, if I leave the PPC cradled/connected and power it off, it turns on every 5 minutes to sync. This is an hx4705 connected via AS4.2.

Yeah, I could manually kill AS or use one of the programs to turn it off, just wondered if there was a better way. Thanks in advance...

Rod3
08-15-2006, 03:12 AM
Ahhh! That's it! Thanks, Dave!

Sven Johannsen
08-15-2006, 05:16 AM
Is anyone aware of a similar fix for the PC side?

In other words, I have done the fake server fix on the PPC side. If the PPC is not cradled/connected to the PC, it stays "off". However, if I leave the PPC cradled/connected and power it off, it turns on every 5 minutes to sync. This is an hx4705 connected via AS4.2.

Yeah, I could manually kill AS or use one of the programs to turn it off, just wondered if there was a better way. Thanks in advance...

I would say there is something not set up right on your 'fix'. Not cradled, or connected to a PC, the devices don't turn on to try to sync every five minutes in the first place, fix or not. The fix is specifically for the connected PPC that is off, to keep it off, and is done on the PPC.

Rod3
08-15-2006, 01:41 PM
Maybe I misunderstood you, Sven, but the fix takes care of the issue where the uncradled PPC appears to have synced when it was turned off. The actual syncing doesn't take place, but ActiveSync is running when I turn it back on. The fix "fixes" that.

Sven Johannsen
08-16-2006, 05:23 AM
Maybe I'm confused.

AS is normally running on a PPC, but it normally doesn't come to the foreground, so that it is there when you take the unit out of sleep.

In WM5 AS forces a sync every 5 minutes when the device is cradled. That is true even when the connected device is put to sleep. It turns itself on. Still AS isn't in the foreground for this.

The hack adds a non-existent Exchange Server, that is not connectable, which keeps AS on the PPC from starting up every five minutes, even when connected. That lets you hook the PPC up to a PC without the PPC turning on every 5 minutes, and then staying on (unless you have set on-power turnoff for less than 5).

Are you saying that your uncradled PPC tries to sync periodically? That should be fixable by a setting in AS. Shouldn't need any tricks or hacks. Unconnected your PPC shouldn't even attempt to sync unless you have an Exchange server set up. Wireless sync to your desktop isn't even supported, other than BT.

Rod3
08-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Yes, the uncradled PPC tries to sync periodically (or, rather, it did until I did the "fix"). It is unsuccessful, but is showing as a running program when I turn it on in the morning, and periodically during the day. The solution was not available in AS, because the ability to make it manual was greyed out. It only became available when a fake exchange server was set up and then you could set it to manual. So, I'm guessing, it was trying to sync to an exchange server constantly. And there wasn't one. It is apparently set to do that out of the box.

Sven Johannsen
08-17-2006, 05:04 AM
Well it is starting to make a little sense. Did you ever have a server set up? You shouldn't even be able to get to the screen that gives you the option of 'manual' until you do set up a server, real or imaginary. Mine that have never had a server set up, I can't get to that screen, and they don't try to sync if it is not cradled. They have nothing to try to sync too.

Rod3
08-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Well, that's the weird part. Nope, never set up a server in my life (except this fake one, now), but there was no way to stop the thing trying to sync with a non-existent server. I had no ability to stop it. And it's only happened with my Treo 700W and this Cingular 8125. They are my only two devices on WM5. I figured it was a given with WM5.

Sven Johannsen
08-18-2006, 04:03 AM
Nope, not a given. Got two WM5 PPCPE, two Smartphones, and one PPC (PDA-N). Not one tries to sync when it's not connected. I'm annoyed they do when they are connected, and I have turned them off. That was my norm. Sync in the evening before bed, turn the PPC off in the cradle, and let it trickle all night in sleep mode. Not these things. Turn it off while connected to any USB port, whether the PC knows about AS and PPCs or not, and in 5 minutes, wake up, try to sync...and then stay on, since I don't have it set turn off under external power. So the unit just sits there with the screen on all night. Hate that.

But laying on the desk, untethered, or connected to just power (wall wart), they all sleep like babies...oh wait, babies wake up every two hours. They sleep like house cats...yea that's it. Mine put in about 18 hours of sack time in 24.

Rod3
08-18-2006, 01:36 PM
Your collection sounds almost as large as mine. But I only have the two WM5 devices. Everything else (Jornada, Toshiba e805, a couple of HP4155s, and a Dell 50V) is 2003SE or below. And none of them act up like this. But both my WM5 devices do it. And the "fix" fixed them both.

buckyg
08-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Okay, so what you guys are describing seems to be "normal" for WM5 machines. Even with the fake server fix, if it's tethered to the machine, it will wake up every 5 minutes. Just checking...

Rod3
08-18-2006, 08:38 PM
That is certainly how mine behave. If they are connected to the PC, they sync continuously, waking up after a few minutes to sync (or try) again. The fix only stops them from trying to sync when untethered. I don't leave mine connected to the PC all night.

buckyg
08-18-2006, 09:09 PM
Just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed some trick. It's not a problem, really more of an annoyance. If I really want to charge it faster, will just plug directly into power instead of cradling w/ USB. Thanks Sven and Rod3!

Sven Johannsen
08-18-2006, 10:44 PM
Okay, so what you guys are describing seems to be "normal" for WM5 machines. Even with the fake server fix, if it's tethered to the machine, it will wake up every 5 minutes. Just checking...

No sure what you think is normal.

Normal to me is it stays off, untethered, out of the box. It is not normal for it to be laying on the desk, all by itself and it turn on and try to sync. Unless you have established server sync and times to do it.

It tries to sync every 5 minutes if it is connected via USB. I understood the 'fix' covered that.

This is not the same as what Rod is experiencing.

buckyg
08-19-2006, 03:10 AM
Okay, sorry, I have not been clear, Sven, my fault... This is what I am experiencing, which is what I am understanding is "normal" for WM5 (after the fake server fix):

- When unplugged from a USB connection, whether hooked to power or unplugged: If I turn it off, it stays off.
- When plugged into a USB connection: If it is shut off, it will turn itself on after 5 minutes. If I shut if off, in 5 minutes, it will come on again.

Sorry for the confusion...