View Full Version : Jornada 547 won't shut off - screen is blank

quiche
08-14-2006, 05:18 AM
I was installing a heavy program onto the storage card and the thing crashed. When I tried to reset - nothing - the screen is black with backlight on, making it dark greyish. Won't shut off - won't reset - can't do a hard reset either. Unplug it from the electricity and removed CF storage card. It is a Jornada 547. Terrifically small screws to get the back cover off and remove the battery. Too late at night to attempt this. And it is quite a miserable job - to get the small screws back in.

What to do? HELP!

Cybrid
08-14-2006, 09:18 AM
I was installing a heavy program onto the storage card and the thing crashed. When I tried to reset - nothing - the screen is black with backlight on, making it dark greyish. Won't shut off - won't reset - can't do a hard reset either. Unplug it from the electricity and removed CF storage card. It is a Jornada 547. Terrifically small screws to get the back cover off and remove the battery. Too late at night to attempt this. And it is quite a miserable job - to get the small screws back in.

What to do? HELP!by reset do you mean soft reset or hard reset? removing the battery is essentially going to accomplish the same as a hard rest therefore please try to do that first before pulling out the screwdriver...refer to your manual for instructions.

quiche
08-14-2006, 01:10 PM
I tried, several times, to do both a soft and a hard reset. I left it alone overnight and now the battery has run down and the screen is off.

I've replaced the battery before. It is a terrifically difficult task, because the screws in the back cover are so small. That would be an absolute last resort thing to try.

I would scouting for info on the internet. The closest thing I could find was a similar thing with a Palm - and they gave the guy the advise to let the battery run down and let it sit for 24 hours. Then charge the unit back up and do a hard reset. So that is what I'm going to do.

quiche
08-17-2006, 10:40 PM
The pocketpc righted itself. By having the battery run down and sitting for 24 hours - when put to recharge - the screen came up. It did hard reset - that was one of the things I tried when the screen was stuck on.

So I began from scratch - reinstalling all the software, etc. So far so good. I think that the culprits were Small Menu. And this crash happened right after trying to install Pocket Cook. So I'm just not going to install those two programs. I think Small Menu stresses out the CPU.

airconvent
08-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Strange...why do you need to remove screws to do a hard reset?
I recall there was a sequence of buttons you can press while powering on to do that. I do not own the 54x anymore so can't confirm but you can check the manual and spare yourself the open heart surgery and 24 hrs wait..

as for backup, always do a FULL backup to a CF card. That way anything happens, you merely spend about 3-5 min to restore back everything.
that's the beauty of HP's backup programme...

airconvent
08-30-2006, 05:04 PM
haha..testimonial of a jornada lover...I still have the 548 manual pdf file!
ok..here is how you do a hard reset if required.

Use the stylus to press the reset button. While keeping it pressed, press the on/off button.
release the reset button. press on-off to restart.

But this works if your pda is off. Not sure if it works when your pda is permanently on.... :roll: