View Full Version : Any recommendations for syncing pics?

floepie
08-13-2006, 01:05 AM
Now that I have a nice size SD card, I'd like to sync family photos on the hard drive. I've played around with WMP11, but I'm not quite sure it can do what I'd like it to do - that is, maintain the folder/file structure.

On the PC, I have several folders all named by date *first* followed by the significant event so that the folders will appear in chronological order when Explorer sorts by 'name'. I think that would be best route to take on the PPC as well to find things easily. Can WMP11 sync (in one direction), resize, and maintain the folder structure at the same time?

If not, is there any other good software that you'd recommend shy of online storage or ORB?

Ideally, I'd like to use WMP11 for everything to the SD card, including podcasts, pics, vids, etc. Thanks...

Cybrid
08-13-2006, 03:32 AM
Now that I have a nice size SD card, I'd like to sync family photos on the hard drive. I've played around with WMP11, but I'm not quite sure it can do what I'd like it to do - that is, maintain the folder/file structure.

On the PC, I have several folders all named by date *first* followed by the significant event so that the folders will appear in chronological order when Explorer sorts by 'name'. I think that would be best route to take on the PPC as well to find things easily. Can WMP11 sync (in one direction), resize, and maintain the folder structure at the same time?

If not, is there any other good software that you'd recommend shy of online storage or ORB?

Ideally, I'd like to use WMP11 for everything to the SD card, including podcasts, pics, vids, etc. Thanks... Try Resco Photo Viewer which has a separate sync module can be used to sync a PC folder full of pics and will also resize automatically :idea:

floepie
08-13-2006, 05:00 AM
OK thanks for the suggestion. I've DLed the trial, and it is a pretty slick program. However, I don't see any evidence of there being a "sync module". Even Resco's site doesn't mention syncing ability from what I see.

I don't necessarily want something to sync alongside AS, just that it syncs when within the desktop app. I'm surprised it doesn't seem to be able to do that. Am I overlooking something?

Cybrid
08-13-2006, 06:01 AM
OK thanks for the suggestion. I've DLed the trial, and it is a pretty slick program. However, I don't see any evidence of there being a "sync module". Even Resco's site doesn't mention syncing ability from what I see.

I don't necessarily want something to sync alongside AS, just that it syncs when within the desktop app. I'm surprised it doesn't seem to be able to do that. Am I overlooking something?
Turn your Pocket PC into a Digital Photo Album.
It is now easier than ever to view and modify your photos taken by your digital camera. Moreover, you can now optimize your photos and create very nice family albums by using new desktop Album Generator.
Application was designed for Pocket PC, Pocket PC 2002 and Pocket PC 2003.
Supported images and video formats:
Video formats: MPEG I
Camera formats: JPEG, PNG, TIFF
Presentations: MS PowerPoints (converted by Desktop Album Generator)
Other formats: MP, CFX, PSD, PCX, GIF, RAB, RAW, PGM, PPM
Key Features:
faster thumbnail loading NEW
EXIF information (exposure time...)
CMYK and LAB color models added
quick preview for large photos
desktop album creator
slide show with transition effects
VGA cards Voyager, Pretec supported
external screen capturer
zoom, rotation, gamma correction
beam photo or album
send photo or album via email
attach sound (WAV,MP3) notes
draw or type notes
support for favorites
Digital Photo Album
is the main feature of Resco Photo Viewer. You can use our new desktop Album Generator to easy prepare albums optimized for your device. Your holiday photos are no longer locked in your Flash Card.
Digital Video Player
Photo Viewer is capable of playing videos in MPEG 1 format. All standard operations such as Play, Stop, Pause, Play in Loop are implemented.
Business Presentation
Your PowerPoint presentations can be now viewed by Photo Viewer. Just use the Desktop Album Generator to convert them into an album and copy to your device. Supported VGA cards: Voyager VGA, Pretec Presenter.
Desktop Album Generator
is a Windows Desktop application that is distributed as part of the Photo Viewer. You can download it only through desktop PC.
*http://www.resco.net/ppc/photoviewer/default.asp#DesktopOpt

Sorry, couldn't resist....
:wink:

floepie
08-13-2006, 06:13 AM
8O Your fingers must be hurting after that post!

OK, I see and have used the album generator if that's what you were referring to in my request for a photo syncing app, but that simply generates a one-time album and doesn't dynamically update anything it seems.

I do see what you are referring to earlier with the sync module, and I did overlook that in the installation, as the setup gives you the option to install it. Apparently, it incorporates into AS by adding an 'option'. Now, this is perfect if I can simply set a sync folder on the PC to generate the smaller photos on the fly during an activesync session.

The problem is that I'm not seeing a box next to the option with which to check. For some reason, I can't do anything with the sync module unless I can enable it and modify the settings.

Are you using this succesfully on a WM5 device?

floepie
08-13-2006, 06:41 AM
OK, it seems I got this little sync plug in to work after downloading an patch intended for Dell Axim's OEM version. There really isn't anything to this sync feature other than syncing file for file with a folder on the PC. There isn't even an option for the destination location on the PPC.

So, while this is a very nice app on the PPC, perhaps overkill, I'll have to settle for resizing the pics and transferring them to the SD card manually. Woe is me, right? :)

Cybrid
08-13-2006, 06:55 AM
OK, it seems I got this little sync plug in to work after downloading an patch intended for Dell Axim's OEM version. There really isn't anything to this sync feature other than syncing file for file with a folder on the PC. There isn't even an option for the destination location on the PPC.

So, while this is a very nice app on the PPC, perhaps overkill, I'll have to settle for resizing the pics and transferring them to the SD card manually. Woe is me, right? :) fingers are fine. copy 'n' paste. :)
Mebbe my memory isn't so good, trrry splashphoto .....
http://www.splashdata.com/splashphoto/userguide/ppc/index.htm
I haven't trialled either in ages.

Nurhisham Hussein
08-13-2006, 01:01 PM
I use a different method - Mobsync (http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?soft=985). It's not a photo program, what it does is allow you to sync folders that aren't normally covered by Activesync, including folders on a storage card.

floepie
08-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Yes, but mobsync won't resize your pics. And, I don't think I'd want a 2-way sync for fear of deleting them on the PPC. Thanks though...I'm going to look into splashphoto. It looks like what I want!

Nurhisham Hussein
08-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Yes, but mobsync won't resize your pics.

No it won't - to be honest, that's never been a problem for me (courtesy of a VGA screen and an 8GB microdrive).

And, I don't think I'd want a 2-way sync for fear of deleting them on the PPC.

You can actually configure Mobsync to either use the Recycle Bin (PC) or move to another folder (PPC), when dealing with deleted files.