View Full Version : Idiot Novice

robert eggleton
08-11-2006, 09:02 PM
I want a portable ebook reader -- like one to take hiking or to the beach. I know nothing about them except they've got to be better than carrying a bunch of books. I had a general interest before my first novel was published as an ebook. Now, it's embarrassing that I don't know enough to even talk about it with my relatives. Mobipocket (sp?) pops up with a picture of my book cover when I Google the title. Does that mean I should get that one? Sorry about being so stupid, but when I wrote my thesis it was on a manual typewriter with a two in key drop and I've never recovered.

Robert Eggleton
[email protected]

mv
08-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Assuming that you are looking for some e book reading software for your pocket pc (and not another hardware ebook reader, wich they are) mobipocket will work just fine.

robert eggleton
08-11-2006, 10:32 PM
If Mobipocket is software, tell me more about hardware -- pocket PC? I told you that I know nothing. What would be a good thing to buy?

Robert Eggleton
"Rarity from the Hollow"

Janak Parekh
08-12-2006, 01:10 AM
Okay, here's a very quick overview of the ebook scene; I suggest you do some Google searches and read up on it as much as you can:

There are essentially two routes to ebooks.

1. Use a proprietary hardware/software solution. There have been many attempts in this regard, but most have failed in the West (Franklin and others). Sony's trying again, but I think their latest release is Japan-only so far.

2. Use a handheld device platform that supports many types of applications, including ebook readers. These devices are basically miniature computers; while they do not run desktop Windows software, various ebook sellers and software vendors sell ebook solutions for them. This site focuses on Pocket PCs, which come with a Microsoft mobile equivalent of Windows, and you can get one of several different eBook programs and install them.

As to which ebook reader softwares there are on Pocket PCs, there's quite a few. Mobipocket is one reader; there's also Microsoft Reader, Palm Reader, and others. They are generally not directly compatible; you can sometimes convert ebooks formats between different programs, but not the ones with copy restrictions (DRM).

And as to which is the best solution of the above... it's hard to say. We're here because we like Pocket PCs for a multitude of reasons, including but not limited to the ability to read ebooks. Palm devices can also read ebooks (for instance, Mobipocket is also available on Palms). Ultimately, it depends on your budget and what else you want to do with the device...

How's that for a start?

--janak

robert eggleton
08-12-2006, 01:24 AM
I printed your reply. Thanks so much for it. Sometimes I feel like a burden on youth because of my interest in actual technology. Don't get me wrong, I can see farther than most, but it's not specific.

Robert Eggleton
"Rarity form the Hollow"