View Full Version : Internnet on Notebook via GPRS

Carty
08-11-2006, 05:00 AM
Hello,

Does anyone know how to connect internet on my notebook via GPRS on my Pocket PC? Thanx in advance.

Regards
Carty..

Nurhisham Hussein
08-11-2006, 05:41 AM
Oooh....that's an incredibly large topic that can get very complex and very frustrating, very quickly. For starters, it would help if you can state:

1. What PPC are you using, and which OS?
2. What carrier are you using?
3. How are you connecting your laptop with your phone - usb, bluetooth?
4. What OS are you using on your laptop?

Carty
08-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Hello,

I would be glad if you help me out.

Im using O2mini. Magician on WM2003se.
Airtel GPRS in India. Pretty slower like dial-up & they ask us to type some *9 & something in PC & dial for GPRS on PC but couldn't explain how 2
i connect my device to my Win XP Home PC thru USB ASync!

Hope this information is enough.

Thank you again in advance.

Carty
08-11-2006, 03:42 PM
The user manual actually asks me to add a new modem connection in my notebook. And choose the Standard Modem option & select the ports. But after choosing the modem, no ports appear! This is where im getting stuk!

Nurhisham Hussein
08-11-2006, 06:07 PM
I've managed to track down the instructions on how to use the Magician as a USB modem - but seriously, I'd really recommend getting a bluetooth dongle instead. This appears to be hideously complicated. If you still want to try it:

Connecting via USB Port
As with the connection via IrDA, you need to check the following below before you start using the Wireless Modem on your Pocket PC Phone via USB connection:
- A GPRS enabled SIM card is inserted in your Pocket PC Phone.
- Disable the ActiveSync com port connection of your PC.
- Disable the Infrared function by tapping the Start menu > Settings > the Connections tab > Beam, and then uncheck Receive all incoming beams.

Before setting up an USB modem, you must verify that you have the two files, USBMDM and USBModem_Dialer, on the Application CD. Insert the Application CD into the CD-Rom of your PC and perform the settings as follows:
1. Tap the Start menu > Programs > Wireless Modem.
2. Select the USB connection type from the drop-down list and insert the USB cable adapter.
3. Tap the Start button on the Wireless Modem screen of your Pocket PC Phone.
- Insert your Pocket PC Phone to your PC USB connection (using the USB sync cable or cradle).
4. A Found New Hardware message will pop up on your desktop PC.
5. Select the Display a list of the known drivers for this device so that I can choose a specific driver option, and then click Next.
6. Select Modem from the Hardware types list, and then Next.
7. Click the Have Disk button, and then Next.
8. Select the recognized USB Modem in the Models list, and then Next. After the installation is completed, select Finish.
9. After the installation, a new USB modem will be found in the Modem list by tapping Start > Settings > Control Panel > Phone and Modem Options on your PC.
10. Double click the USBModem_Dialer file on the Application CD and set the GPRS settings (enter the APN assigned by your ISP) in the blank text box and press Dial to start the connection.

The thread discussing this, as well as troubleshooting tips can be found here (http://forum.mypdacafe.com/viewtopic.php?t=1198&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=usb+modem&start=15). You can find instructions on bluetooth connections in the same thread.

As for the specific modem entries to create, they are:

Dialling number: *99#
Username: - (leave blank) or alternately you can use 919890.. (91 followed by your cell no)
Password: - (leave blank) or alternately you can use 0000
Domain: - (leave blank) or alternately use airtelgprs.com
Extra dial-string command: z

from this thread (http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=82337), about half way down the page.

Carty
08-12-2006, 05:06 AM
Hello,

That was nice but at step 8 Im getting stuk again.

You've said, press have disk button and i insert the disk that came with my O2mini and choose file path as CD drive but it could not locate any drivers in the disk. Help me out please.

Maybe can you give me the driver files if you have.

Thank you.

Carty
08-12-2006, 05:18 AM
Downloaded the drivers from a different site and now working fine.

Thank you for your help.

Nurhisham Hussein
08-12-2006, 06:05 AM
Glad it worked out! :D