View Full Version : HELP! Cannot download a .pbf file

toeswest
08-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Check this out: I have created a fileshare: http://m2axis.com/download

And in it I put a .pdf and a .pbf

Users can download the .pdf BUT NO-ONE SEEMS TO BE ABLE TO DOWNLOAD THE .pbf file.

Has anyone seen this problem?

Thanks .....

applejosh
08-10-2006, 05:03 PM
What does this have to do with PocketPC's and/or PocketPC software anyway? If this is truly a problem and not spam, then you should talk to whoever is hosting the website.

toeswest
08-10-2006, 05:20 PM
No - this is not SPAM.
It also occurs no matter where the file share is hosted.
As far as its relevance to the Pocket PC and this forum is concerned, I have many Pocket PC Users using a business application. In the past, I have distributed sofware updates to them by sending out memory cards. This is the first time I am trying an electronic upgrade and thought that someone in a forum like this may have encountered a similar problem and could assist me.
I did not expect to be ambushed by a rosy apple!
Bill

Paul Martin
08-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Kudos for a great idea. I'm wondering if for some reason, the normal download protocols just don't know how to handle a pbf file. Perhaps if you put it in a zip file first, have them download that, then unzip and process the file as expected.

comtrjl
08-10-2006, 06:44 PM
this looks like a problem at the host end - there may be an issue with a file name containg hyphens or something like that.
try zipping it up then uploading it again and giving it a simple name like foo.zip.
bob

SteveHoward999
08-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Usually such a failure to load is caused by the server not having an appropriately-configured MIME type for the file extension in question. Suggestions that you zip the file may work, as the change in file extension might be all you require, assuming .zip has been configured on the server. Your network/web administrator should be able to set you right.

Paul Martin
08-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Steve,

I'll let your cat borrow my glasses if you want. :mrgreen:

BTW, sounds like your explaination is right on target with the MIME types. I'd forgotten about those.

SteveHoward999
08-10-2006, 08:35 PM
[quote="pmradio"]Steve,

I'll let your cat borrow my glasses if you want. :mrgreen:

quote]

Hey - you could be my brother :-)

Paul Martin
08-10-2006, 08:42 PM
We might be! I got tired of my microphone and I saw this cat...too funny!