View Full Version : A Power-On question

jaytee
08-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Hi, sorry if this isn't the right place but, I have a HP iPaq hx2415 WM5 device and whenever I turn it on after either pressing the "On/Off" button or selecting "Suspend" in Spb Pocket Plus after a few or so minutes, the screen is like frozen, and then after a few maybe 5 or more seconds it is free again. The reason I didn't post in the HP forum was maybe I thought it's with all WM5 devices and not just the iPaq? My same model with WM2003SE doesn't do that, so is this natural? Thanks!

jaytee
08-11-2006, 12:35 PM
So, I'm guessing no one else has this problem? :? :(

Sven Johannsen
08-11-2006, 06:03 PM
No, I don't have that issue, nor any HP WM5 device. WM5 is a bit more sluggish than WM2003, and some of that is due to the type of memory used. In my case some of it is due to the devices I have chosen, phone editions with slower processors to mitigate battery life.

BUT, there have been many discussions about similar issues here. Most though seemed to actually require soft resets to come out of suspend, which is really what is happening when you turn 'on'. Some of these isues were semingly related to flash card use. Do you use one? I would bet so. Unusual PPC user that doesn't. Can you try things for a day or so without the flash card? Then, be sure to check HPs site for updates to your unit. I believe some of the issues have been addressed.

Another potential issue, that also concerns large flash media is how you have stuff arranged and what sort of applications you have. There have been issues in the past where an app, or the OS, insists on scanning the flash card for certain files at 'startup' which ties up the processor. Sometimes that just required some directory restructure, or changing the scope of an application's search. This sort of issue can only be troubleshot by a hard reset and seeing if a pristene device exhibits the issue, and then slowly introducing hardware (memory card) and software to see what might be causing it.