View Full Version : SD card intermittently not recognised

terrypin
08-08-2006, 07:11 PM
My 3-year old iPAQ 2210 has developed a very annoying intermittent fault. It sometimes stops recognising any SD card. After a week in that state, on return from hols I called HP and was delighted that the advice I received (from their Support centre in India) to blow into the compartment immediately restored recognition!

However ... in the 2 days since, the problem has reoccurred 4 or 5 times. :(

Using a pressurised air-spray I've managed with increasing difficulty to recover each time. But surely a bit of dust can no longer be regarded as the root cause? After 3 years it's bound to have accumulated some, of course, but I've given it such a blasting that I'd now expect a good long run before any similar problems. Yet it's re-occurring every few hours.

Anyone else had similar problems, or can offer any thoughts please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

LWesson
08-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Hi Terry,

Since it is intermittent and not a consistent failure, I would think that one of the solder joints for the pins of the SD slot has cracked. Or one if the pins is bent up slightly.

terrypin
08-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks Leonard, appreciate the fast reply. That sounds grim then, confirming my suspicions that a (presumably expensive) repair will be necessary. Or maybe I should treat myself to a new model; I've just posted in the hardware forum with that thought in mind.

Any thoughts on why the blowing seemed to effect a cure, after removing and replacing the card many times had faoiled to make any difference?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK