View Full Version : VoIP rage "calls" for more phone-like Skype interface

Joelacrane
08-03-2006, 02:52 AM
It seems like I was a couple of months ahead of the new thing: VoIP calling. I really only have one complaint about Skypeout: Why does the interface have to be so non-phone like?

In order to place a Skype call, i have to get out my Pocket PC, turn it on, turn on wifi, Start hitchhiker, let it connect to an AP, start skype, let it sign in, and a coupe more clicks later i can tap in my phone number, hold the device upside down and make the call. Ridiculous!

Imagine if you fired up a phone app, it connected to an AP, logged you into skype automatically, and gave you a screen with 11 on screen buttons. 9 number buttons that you can either select with the d-pad and center button or tap on the screen with your thumbs. The program could display your remaining skype minutes. A green phone icon would be on your left softkey, and a red phone icon on your right. Just map "phone" to one of your buttons...

All you would have to do is hit your phone button, wait 10 or 15 seconds (AP and log in), tap in your number, hit your left softkey, and you are making the call. The program would then optionally turn the screen upside down and display signal strength and call duration. Hit that right button, the call is ended, and the program could ask if you would like to turn wifi off or make another call, once again utilizing the use of softkeys for stylus free calls.

This would provide easy to use and cell phone like interface. Feel free to point out the flaws in my idea.

Cybrid
08-03-2006, 11:19 PM
It seems like I was a couple of months ahead of the new thing: VoIP calling. I really only have one complaint about Skypeout: Why does the interface have to be so non-phone like?

In order to place a Skype call, i have to get out my Pocket PC, turn it on, turn on wifi, Start hitchhiker, let it connect to an AP, start skype, let it sign in, and a coupe more clicks later i can tap in my phone number, hold the device upside down and make the call. Ridiculous!

Imagine if you fired up a phone app, it connected to an AP, logged you into skype automatically, and gave you a screen with 11 on screen buttons. 9 number buttons that you can either select with the d-pad and center button or tap on the screen with your thumbs. The program could display your remaining skype minutes. A green phone icon would be on your left softkey, and a red phone icon on your right. Just map "phone" to one of your buttons...

All you would have to do is hit your phone button, wait 10 or 15 seconds (AP and log in), tap in your number, hit your left softkey, and you are making the call. The program would then optionally turn the screen upside down and display signal strength and call duration. Hit that right button, the call is ended, and the program could ask if you would like to turn wifi off or make another call, once again utilizing the use of softkeys for stylus free calls.

This would provide easy to use and cell phone like interface. Feel free to point out the flaws in my idea.Probably easier said then done....
There are apps like nscript and mortrunner that run batch commands...You could in theory script that all into a hotkey ....
Well above my skills but have at her... :mrgreen: