View Full Version : AS 4.1 is creating a new partnership now

David_C
08-03-2006, 01:49 AM
I sync at my home computer and the one where I work. I am running WM 5 (upgraded version), and AS 4.1

The problem is that now, I have to rename my device everytime I sync up. If I sync up in the am before work, and sync up at work, I have to rename the device at work. Then if I try and sync up at home, I have to once again, rename the device.

What am I doing wrong and how can I correct this????

Dave :devilboy:

Janak Parekh
08-03-2006, 03:37 AM
I have heard AS 4.x is really a pain about this when it gets confused. :?

First, you should upgrade to AS 4.2 -- and make a backup of your data.

Second, delete ALL partnerships everywhere, including the handheld -- and try recreating it on both machines and see if it works.

If not, I know one or two folks that have gone through this... I might be able to ping them.

--janak

David_C
08-04-2006, 12:38 PM
That did the trick!!!

Thanks!!! :)

Dave

Janak Parekh
08-05-2006, 12:38 AM
Glad to hear it. :D You shouldn't have to do this, but as long as it works... ;)

--janak

David_C
08-07-2006, 04:19 PM
This being a Monday of course this would start over: I had to put a new name on my device in order for the PDA to be synced. It was working fine at home until I came to work.

Any other suggestions :)

Dave

Sven Johannsen
08-11-2006, 05:34 PM
I'm one of the ones Janak pinged that had/have similar issues with WM5 and AS4.x. Sorry to say i don't have any solutions other than what you have already tried, short of a hard reset, and I'm not sure that would even work. I did submit that as a bug, but it seemed the teams at MS were having trouble duplicating it. Can't fix it if it ain't broke. I understand that. Seems it happens to only some, and why is a mystery.

I had a secondary issue. When I did get it to partner consistantly with two devices, it would only let me sync PIM info with one of them. If I had contacts set to sync with PC1 and tried to check contacts on PC2, a error box would pop up saying I was already syncing contacts with another PC and I would have to turn that off first. Another non-universal issue, that MS couldn't duplicate. Never did get a good answer as to why there was even an error dialog created for that.

My ultimate solution was to quit trying. That wasn't as bad as it sounds for me. The company I worked for used Lotus in the first place, so having and syncing with Outlook was just a convenience for me as far as entering things went. I just went to using the PPC directly. Occasionally I would connect as a guest just to load some files to take home. My current employer doesn't even let the devices in the building, so the problem resolved itself...sort of.