View Full Version : empty SMS folder has '3 unread msgs'

salem
08-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Hi,

My pocket PC strangely shows that I have 3 SMS unread, but my SMS folder is actually empty. It happened after my pocket pc crashed last week.

I've tried to locate the files for SMS messages and setting and I still fail. Could anyone have any ideas about what happens?

Thanks sooooo much.

Janak Parekh
08-02-2006, 10:23 PM
I've never seen this problem. What happens if you receive a new SMS and delete it? Does it go up to 4 and back to 3?

Maybe someone else here can chime in about this...

--janak

Darius Wey
08-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Where exactly does it mention "3 Unread Messages"? The default Messaging Today plug-in, a third-party plug-in, in the Messaging application itself, or something else?

I've seen this problem before, and it ended up being a bug in a third-party Today plug-in causing it to display incorrect information.

salem
08-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Where exactly does it mention "3 Unread Messages"? The default Messaging Today plug-in, a third-party plug-in, in the Messaging application itself, or something else?

I've seen this problem before, and it ended up being a bug in a third-party Today plug-in causing it to display incorrect information.

Hi, it's not a problem with third-party. I'm using defaulted messanging Today tab in my dopod 828 (Windows 2003SE).

the problem happened so wierdly a week ago. After my pocket pc crashed and lost all data, i restored the backup (which were made 3 months ago), and troubles came.

At first, my Microsoft messenger software shows that i have 3 SMS unread, but the folder was actually empty. In the next two days, when any new SMS came to me, the notification sound was still alarmed but the inbox folder was apparently empty too. I tried to create some SMS and move them into the inbox, but these SMS also vanished.

I decided to restore the old backup again, but at the same time, I removed any data-like files which may be related to messengers. Suddenly, I can receive new SMS eventually, although Microsoft Messenge software keeps showing that I have 3 SMS unread.

I think if i can remove all data file and setting file related to the Messenger, the problem can be solved, but i still don't know where's the data file for SMS.

Janak Parekh
08-05-2006, 01:09 AM
The data file is not designed to be user-accessible, IIRC. :(

I think you should indeed try hard-resetting the device and restoring everything but Mail/messaging/SMS Settings.

--janak

salem
08-05-2006, 08:10 AM

I think you should indeed try hard-resetting the device and restoring everything but Mail/messaging/SMS Settings.

--janak

Janak, i'm using spritebackup to restore data, do you know how to keep the orignial mail/messaging/ sms setting when i do a backup restoring?

This design is terribly and unncessarily sophisticated.

Janak Parekh
08-07-2006, 04:17 AM
Nope, I haven't used Sprite in years.

You can try contacting the Sprite folks; maybe they'd have a tip or an idea of how to resolve this.

--janak

Menneisyys
08-11-2006, 07:36 AM

--janak

Janak, i'm using spritebackup to restore data, do you know how to keep the orignial mail/messaging/ sms setting when i do a backup restoring?

Just restore the WinCE database / PIM stuff.

However, if losing all your e-mail settings on the PPC isn't a problem, I recommend just running Cleanmail (http://www.winmobiletech.com/sekalaiset/cleanmail.zip). It'll quickly clean up everything without the need for any kind of restoration or hard reset. (Also see the comments section at http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=243&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1 ).

salem
08-11-2006, 09:23 AM

--janak

However, if losing all your e-mail settings on the PPC isn't a problem, I recommend just running Cleanmail (http://www.winmobiletech.com/sekalaiset/cleanmail.zip). It'll quickly clean up everything without the need for any kind of restoration or hard reset. (Also see the comments section at http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=243&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1 ).

Thanks. I'm going to try this one tonight, but frankly, i'm really surprised on what MS Pocket PC developers think. How can they make this apparently simple thing so difficult.

Menneisyys
08-11-2006, 09:56 AM

--janak

Thanks. I'm going to try this one tonight, but frankly, i'm really surprised on what MS Pocket PC developers think. How can they make this apparently simple thing so difficult.

Unfortunately, a lot of even basic functionality is missing from Messaging (for example, manual data account renaming). Also, you need to do a lot of low-level WinCE-database editing / cleaning (this is what BTW Cleanmail does) to clean up bugs like this.

Janak Parekh
08-11-2006, 03:36 PM
The Messaging store is notoriously complicated. Backup software developers have complained in the past about how hard it is to correctly backup/restore email from/to the device. My guess is the current Messaging architecture dates back to the earlier CE days and Microsoft hasn't been able to devote the resources to "fix it" (seeing as how there are many other issues that they should probably attend to first ;))

--janak

salem
08-20-2006, 12:35 AM
Unfortunately, a lot of even basic functionality is missing from Messaging (for example, manual data account renaming). Also, you need to do a lot of low-level WinCE-database editing / cleaning (this is what BTW Cleanmail does) to clean up bugs like this.

OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After struggling with this tiny but annoying problem for some time, it's magically solved! Cleanmail can REALLY work! Thanks so much for your wonderful recommendation! Also thanks to Janak Parekh & Darius Wey for your helpfulness!!

http://users.bentonrea.com/~sdawsey/Chayo%20High%20Five.JPG