View Full Version : On/off switch on Mio

djayes
08-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Hi - My Mio has a problem turning on. I have no problem turning it off via the on/off switch, but if I want to turn it on again the switch does not help me. In fact, the only way that I can turn it on again is by pressing the RESET button.

Anyone familiar with this problem?

Daas

Darius Wey
08-02-2006, 03:40 AM
Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts.

First, which Mio do you have? Second, what third-party software do you have installed, and do you have any services running in the background (e.g., Bluetooth, etc.)?

djayes
08-02-2006, 07:04 AM
I have the Mio 180 (DigiWalker). Only the iGo and DestinatorPN are installed (but not running in the background when I turn off). There's no Bluetooth or anything.

Thanks

Darius Wey
08-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Hmm, it could be an unpatched WM2003SE bug, but unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any ROM updates floating around.

Two things you could try:

(a) Disable any alarms (if you have any).

(b) Hard reset (which will wipe your data). If a hard reset fails to correct the problem, then the problem could be hardware-related and you could probably contact the Mio folks and have the device repaired/replaced.

djayes
08-02-2006, 10:12 PM
1. I don't have any alarms set.

2. A hard reset didn't help.

What is the "WM2003SE bug"?

Darius Wey
08-03-2006, 10:53 AM
2. A hard reset didn't help.

If a hard reset didn't work, then the problem is most likely hardware-related, or otherwise, back to my initial suggestion of some unpatched standby bug.

What is the "WM2003SE bug"?

I wasn't making reference to any specific bug in particular. It could just be a bug that exists as a result of Mio's implementation of WM2003SE on the device. A ROM update may solve it, but like I mentioned earlier, there don't seem to be any updates available.

If I were in your shoes, I'd contact Mio and tell them about the problem. Have the device either repaired or replaced.

djayes
08-04-2006, 12:15 AM
First of all, I must go back on my words - a hardware reset did cure the problem, but not for long! After a restore it was destroyed again.

Secondly, I took the unit for repair. They replaced the internal battery and the ROM. All looked OK until I restored my data and then the same problem. I then went and deleted all the installed programs, but it still had the problem. A hardware reset cured it again - and a restore took me back to square one.

I guess there is something corrupt in some register in the backed-up system, so I'll try downloading the programs one by one from the PC. What do you think?

Darius Wey
08-04-2006, 12:38 AM
Yes, it definitely sounds like an issue caused by an application that you have installed. If I were you, I'd leave that backup file out of the equation and download and install each application individually. It won't be too long before you isolate the culprit.