View Full Version : McAfee upgrade will cause ActiveSync not to work

yardcat
08-01-2006, 02:08 AM
Many PPC users are discussing how there AS no longer works, after installing McAfee's latest update/upgrade. McAfee has admitted there is a problem that interferes with ActiveSync 4.x. This is a recent (last couple days?) upgrade, where current McAfee subscribers get a pop-up recommending they install this latest update, and they tout this as a major improvement. See http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=367680#367680 They say they are working on the problem. No actual fixes yet, though some people say that uninstalling and rolling back to the earlier version of particularly M Antiviral & Security Center softwares seemed (not sure) to help.

Because I had deleted my earlier installation software, I decided to go the Restore to an earlier Restore Point route. That was apparently a bad decision.

I uninstalled all McAfee software, and then ran the uninstall cleaner software (recommended at McAfee Tech Support for thorough uninstalling of each software). Then system Restore to 2 days prior. Upon reboot, got a message saying that components of McAfee were missing (note that the Restoration put me back to the time when I now have the old McAfee software versions). So, my 'cleaning' must have removed something vital. So I did a re-restore back to today. but still have same messages about software components missing.

Now ActiveSync, seems to work better (not sure how much better), but reports an error 85010014, which googling says is an Outlook related issue (Note, I removed McAfee Spamkiller).

Does anyone have any suggestions on if a simple re-install of McAfee Spamkiller might solve this Outlook error issue? Or has Outlook, itself somehow been changed so that I need to reinstall it too!? :(

-yardcat

Janak Parekh
08-01-2006, 03:49 AM
That infamous error is a fairly common one, and you can try searching forums for tips people have used. You can certainly try a Repair of Outlook and see if it helps.

--janak

yardcat
08-01-2006, 04:47 AM
Ms stated in their AS ver upgrade to 4.2, that it "Resolves issues relating to error code 85010014". So I'm confused about wether the 'fix' lies in reinstalling AS or Outlook. I tend to believe that my 'running' (simple running only - no self input) of those McAfee cleanup/uninstall programs corrupted some settings, is what is causing this problem.

Any ideas on which one: Outlook XP or AS 4.2 would be the likely victims of these cleaning programs?

If I need to uninstall AS, do I need to uninstall anything on the PPC, itself? I know AS is part of permanent ROM on wm 5 Loox N560. I know that need to delete partnership. And thought someone said delete PPC name, but don't know why I'de want to do this.

Thanks, yardcat

Janak Parekh
08-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Ms stated in their AS ver upgrade to 4.2, that it "Resolves issues relating to error code 85010014". So I'm confused about wether the 'fix' lies in reinstalling AS or Outlook.
It could be either (or neither); my intuition suggests Outlook, based on how it might be affected via System Restore, but I may be wrong.

Any ideas on which one: Outlook XP or AS 4.2 would be the likely victims of these cleaning programs?
Well, ActiveSync is a much simpler program than Outlook.

If I need to uninstall AS, do I need to uninstall anything on the PPC, itself?
There is nothing to uninstall on the Pocket PC, except perhaps for the partnership within ActiveSync. In AS's case, though, you can usually reinstall "on top" first if you want to give it a shot. (Similarly, "Repair" in Outlook avoids a full uninstall/reinstall cycle).

I know AS is part of permanent ROM on wm 5 Loox N560. I know that need to delete partnership. And thought someone said delete PPC name, but don't know why I'de want to do this.
I think that someone is alluding to deleting the partnership information from both Pocket PC and the desktop.

--janak

yardcat
08-02-2006, 12:12 AM
Thanks Janak, for your comprehensive answers!

Janak wrote:
"Repair" in Outlook avoids a full uninstall/reinstall cycle

What does the term "Repair" mean? Just a simple reinstall over existing?

After perusing the ms knowledge base for "repair" & "uninstall", I am confused - they mentioned some kind of tool to "repair Ms Office Components. I did look in Outlook under Tools and search with windows but couldn't find this particular tool (I cannot now remember the name, and not sure its what I needed anyway).

Repair seems the better route, however, if I need Uninstall/Reinstall cycle are there any other ramifications I should be aware of? Not worried about current email.

Thanks alot, I'm sloowly getting my system back in order after that terrible McAfee upgrade (becoming a major discussion at McAfee Forums).

-yardcat

Mark Kenepp
08-02-2006, 01:28 AM
A "Repair" is just another option when you insert your CD and run the setup program (unless I am mistaken. It is always a good first step prior to uninstalling/reinstalling.

As far as ramifications, there should be no data loss with either a repair, reinstall over exisiting or uninstall/reinstall. The data store for Outlook should not be touched be the uninstall or install. It is still a good idea to back up your data prior to doing anything, however.

BTW, I feel your pain. I had a McAfee update completely hose my Windows 2000 Fujitsu Lifebook a few years back. The McAfee Automatic Update totally trashed the system resulting in a bluescreen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_screen_of_death) that could only be repaired by a complete system restore back to the factory settings. I dropped McAfee that day (only a moth or so into my yearly subscription) and when they contacted me at the end of the year to renew, I told them no thanks and gave them the reason why.

yardcat
08-02-2006, 01:45 AM
Thanks Mark,

I'll try the installation CD route for Outlook, though I may need to uninstall/reinstall AS.

Nobody over at McAfee forums has really nailed down the cause of this yet, so not really sure what I'm up against.

And Yes, I agree McAfee sucks! I've always had problems between McAfee and Outlook. Symantec software was also terrible!

-yardcat

yardcat
08-02-2006, 04:11 AM
OK, now I have an even bigger problem. I did the uninstall/install of Outlook from my device installation CD. Control panel shows an installed program, but cannot find Outlook ANYWHERE. Bizarre! No icons placed on desktop, search of files found express but not outlook! Uninstall & reinstall + repair and NADA! I must say I truely dislike McAfee for starting this chain of events.

Now no AS and no mail client! And MS wants $35 to discuss. I thought you got one free consultation, the good old days I guess.

I know this may be starting to get off topic, but I'm trying to find a work-around so that myself and others (McAfee Forum PPC users) can get sync to work again after a MAJOR McAfee update boondoggle!

I've already put two days work into this and seem to be digging myself deeper and deeper.

Really appreciate any help, thanks - yardcat.

Janak Parekh
08-02-2006, 06:06 PM
A "Repair" is just another option when you insert your CD and run the setup program (unless I am mistaken. It is always a good first step prior to uninstalling/reinstalling.
Actually, if one goes to Add/Remove Programs, and chooses "Change" on Office, you'll get a Repair installation choice. And there's no uninstall needed. :)

--janak

Janak Parekh
08-02-2006, 06:08 PM
OK, now I have an even bigger problem. I did the uninstall/install of Outlook from my device installation CD. Control panel shows an installed program, but cannot find Outlook ANYWHERE. Bizarre! No icons placed on desktop, search of files found express but not outlook! Uninstall & reinstall + repair and NADA! I must say I truely dislike McAfee for starting this chain of events.
8O

Go into C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10 (for 2002; Office11 for 2003) and see if you can locate OUTLOOK.EXE there. If it's there, try double-clicking it and see if it starts. I'm hoping just the icon is broken, nothing else...

--janak

yardcat
08-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Thanks again Janak,

Followed your instructions, did not find outlook.exe. I did find two folders under Office, with the same modification dates of my install: Office10/1033/DataServices/ The later 2 files were the files. No other files within that path had that modification date, and NO Outlook.exe.
There was also a Office10/migration/MIGRATE.DLL with same modification date also. I believe folder 1033 came from installation CD, because it is on that CD. So, some kind of install happened. Incidentally, I did a search of entire 'MY Computer' and found no Outlook.exe.

Further Notes:

This direct CD installation was doubly strange to me, because, in Start Menu, it put Programs>Microsoft Office Tools as a new program entry after I did the install. Normally, I would expect to see Outlook placed there.

The outlook.pst file seemed awfully large to me at 3,632KB. I was thinking maybe something got burried in there, but couldn't open, and doubt that this is the case.

I opened a setupapi file that seemed to have a running commentary of the installation?? (found this earlier, this morning). This 'commentary' looked like it was having trouble and mentioned McAfee (of all things!) Spamkiller. Also said ...third party INF does not contain digital signature...
Don't know if relevant.

Very grateful for any input, as I am reaching near the end of my knowledge level.

Thanks again, yardcat.

Janak Parekh
08-05-2006, 01:08 AM
Followed your instructions, did not find outlook.exe.
Hmm... then it's not there. :( "1033", btw, is a standard folder structure for Office. I don't know off-the-top of my head what it is, but that's a moot point. :)

This direct CD installation was doubly strange to me, because, in Start Menu, it put Programs>Microsoft Office Tools as a new program entry after I did the install. Normally, I would expect to see Outlook placed there.
This is interesting. Outlook doesn't go in that folder, but this suggests that it DID install something. Did you try a custom install to see if Outlook was selected?

The outlook.pst file seemed awfully large to me at 3,632KB. I was thinking maybe something got burried in there, but couldn't open, and doubt that this is the case.
No, that sounds pretty normal to me.

I opened a setupapi file that seemed to have a running commentary of the installation?? (found this earlier, this morning).
There is a log file, indeed. Do you still have McAfee software running on your PC? You might want to disable that before trying again.

--janak