View Full Version : Activesync/WinXP Home/Intel Mac... anyone yet ?

splat
07-31-2006, 02:17 PM
So I'm thinking of picking up a macbook for work and am curious if anyone has set one up to run Windows and Activesync yet.

I know it should (in theory) work - but before I plunk down the cash I'm curious if anyone _has_ got it running.

Darius Wey
07-31-2006, 02:49 PM
Yes, ActiveSync has been tried and tested on a Windows XP installation through Boot Camp and Parallels Desktop (with some slight tweaking). Works fine.

However, I'd wait until August 7 (WWDC Keynote) before laying down the cash. Word on the street is Apple will announce the new Core 2 Duo Macs (not sure which models yet, but the MacBook Pro, iMac, and Mac Pro are high on the list).

Janak Parekh
07-31-2006, 04:09 PM
You may also want to consider getting something like Missing Sync (www.markspace.com), which enables you to sync directly to MacOS applications (in particular, iCal/Address Book and Entourage) themselves.

--janak

splat
08-01-2006, 02:35 PM
You may also want to consider getting something like Missing Sync (www.markspace.com), which enables you to sync directly to MacOS applications (in particular, iCal/Address Book and Entourage) themselves.
--janak

I've thought about that was well. I've used the Missing Sync for Palm and have seen the quality of their work.

I know they just updated the PPC version recently which has tipped the scales a bit that way. My major concern is to be able to install extra software and such which may not always be available through .cab downloads. Having Activesync as a backup seems like the best way to go.

Thanks for the suggestion though !

Janak Parekh
08-01-2006, 10:12 PM
My major concern is to be able to install extra software and such which may not always be available through .cab downloads. Having Activesync as a backup seems like the best way to go.
Oh, for sure you want a deployed ActiveSync setup for application installs and the like. However, I'm glad to say I use it less nowadays. :)

--janak