View Full Version : T-Mobile Releases Updated MDA ROM!

Jon Westfall
07-30-2006, 08:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.t-mobileapps.com/downloadcenter/software_detail.cfm?id=80' target='_blank'>http://www.t-mobileapps.com/downloa...etail.cfm?id=80</a><br /><br /></div><i>"TMOBILE has posted the long awaited ROM (ver 2.26) for the MDA USA. It contains a Radio Fix addressing the searching, signal acquirring issue as well as A2DP. Remember, you need a Fully Charged MDA before you get started, and make sure your PC will not go into Hibernate during the install. Also, on a personal experience note, I had a 3-5 minute pause when I got to 85%. Just as I began to worry, it picked back up. You never want to disturb the process or disconnect the cable. Complete instructions are included in the ROM Upgrade."</i><br /><br />Got some extra time on your Sunday afternoon? Or perhaps want something to delay your work on Monday Morning? Sounds like there's a new ROM in town for the MDA, and with AKU 2.2 Roms being slow to ship, I'd be suprised if the files in this ROM only go to their intended T-Mobile customers!<br /><br />Now where are the other manufacturers in their AKU 2.2 releases???

dangerwit
07-30-2006, 11:06 PM
Done and done. Excited to see what comes as a result of this. :) Is there a changes doc anywhere that was found?

Vincent M Ferrari
07-31-2006, 01:03 AM
Ohmigod. The only thing keeping my MDA in mothballs was the seeking issue.

If that's fixed...

Ohmigod.

Ohmigod.

Ohmigod.

I'm charging the old girl and will get back to the forum immediately.

Ohmigod.

Ed Hansberry
07-31-2006, 01:18 AM
Ohmigod. The only thing keeping my MDA in mothballs was the seeking issue.
what issue was that?

Vincent M Ferrari
07-31-2006, 01:20 AM
If I dropped out of coverage, sometimes it took upwards of 20 minutes to get the signal back.

Too damned long and it made the phone unusable.

Eriq Cook
07-31-2006, 01:54 AM
Wow. I must say this is a worthwhile upgrade. In the past 4 hours since installing the update I've noticed the following things:

- Startup time is much faster after a soft-reset
- Signal strengh is more reliable and stronger
- ACTIVESYNC (4.2) SYNCS FASTER!
- Brand new Communications Manager is much better than old one. It gives new options for Data Connection, IR/Beam, DirectPush and ActiveSync, in addition to Phone, Bluetooth and WLAN connections (there is also a red shortcut icon to CommManager in the lower right corner of Today screen.
- New "Lock/Unlock Device" item added to Today screen
- Changes to Signal indicator on top bar
- New Network Connection Settings added

I was reluctant to upgrade since I had to reinstall EVERYTHING, but glad I did! :D

P.S. - I also experienced the terrible signal drop issue. I don't know for sure yet if it's fixed but will know in next few days![/list]

MarcFou
07-31-2006, 02:20 AM
Upgrading now from 1.8... (Crosses fingers)

Ed Hansberry
07-31-2006, 03:56 AM
well, I am glad thoseissues are fixed, but what in the world is t-mobile doing to that thing? :?: My K-Jam has never had those issues and it came out last november. carriers need to focus on device stability and reliability in their radio stacks and quit farting around with the "pretty" customizations and branding garbage.

Silver5
07-31-2006, 04:03 AM
I would love for those of you who install this upgrade to post back here with your experiences with it.

I am using the 2.17 Qtek ROM on my Qtek 9100 and it is close to perfect. However, I have experienced the signal searching issue so if this ROM fixes that I will be happy to upgrade...so lon as there are no other problems wit it.

Vincent M Ferrari
07-31-2006, 04:06 AM
Initial Reaction:

So far so good. It's much faster and the COMM manager is much better (more control, etc).

I'll know tomorrow if the radio picks up any quicker.

Ed: I don't know if you can entirely blame the carrier for the seeking issue. I had a hacked ROM that was basically a rework of I-Mate's and it was the same exact thing.

As I said, boot time is MUCH quicker, the device is a hair more responsive, and I haven't had any real weirdness since I did it. Only time will truly tell.

MarcFou
07-31-2006, 04:07 AM
Screenshot of connection MGR
http://www.4input.com/Screen001.png

Eriq Cook
07-31-2006, 04:17 AM
Another surprising addition: ActiveSync (4.2) seems to sync faster than before! Does anybody else experience this?

Wow. I must say this is a worthwhile upgrade. In the past 4 hours since installing the update I've noticed the following things:

- Startup time is much faster after a soft-reset
- Signal strengh is more reliable and stronger
- Brand new Communications Manager is much better than old one. It gives new options for Data Connection, IR/Beam, DirectPush and ActiveSync, in addition to Phone, Bluetooth and WLAN connections (there is also a red shortcut icon to CommManager in the lower right corner of Today screen.
- New "Lock/Unlock Device" item added to Today screen
- Changes to Signal indicator on top bar
- New Network Connection Settings added

I was reluctant to upgrade since I had to reinstall EVERYTHING, but glad I did! :D

P.S. - I also experienced the terrible signal drop issue. I don't know for sure yet if it's fixed but will know in next few days!

crispeto
07-31-2006, 04:30 AM
Sorry to be a butt-inski but I wonder if this also means Tmo will be releasing a rom update for the SDA smartphone?

Eriq Cook
07-31-2006, 04:52 AM
To be honest I don't think there will be an SDA update soon (I could be wrong).

Windows Mobile 5 is a larger and more feature-packed OS and therefore is open to more "software issues" than the SDA. So I would assume carriers would focus more on the issues with the WM5 Pocket PC devices first (since there have been so many), than Smartphone Edition devices since the software is simpler and less prone to problems, IMO.

I'm curious, are there any major problems with the SDA?

Sorry to be a butt-inski but I wonder if this also means Tmo will be releasing a rom update for the SDA smartphone?

Vincent M Ferrari
07-31-2006, 04:57 AM
I have an SDA also, and it has the same seeking issue, which like the MDA renders it utterly unusable.

crispeto
07-31-2006, 05:40 AM
It has a very slow boot-up and can also have some connectivity issues. I'd also like to have the push email. The Imate version of the same phone already have their update as well as the Cingular 2125.

barmach
07-31-2006, 05:49 AM
What an easy upgrade! So far so good after the install. One thing that I found odd, I did not have in install my server certs for SSL. Why is that? Much easier then the Treo 700w upgrade! :lol:

GadgetGirl
07-31-2006, 06:35 AM
I'm running the 2.16.9.1 rom on my mda now... think I can upgrade to this new TMo rom directly? Also, can anyone verify that Java is included in this rom? It drove me nuts that I couldn't run google local with the default mda rom.

Eriq Cook
07-31-2006, 06:55 AM
I'm running the 2.16.9.1 rom on my mda now... think I can upgrade to this new TMo rom directly? Also, can anyone verify that Java is included in this rom? It drove me nuts that I couldn't run google local with the default mda rom.

Don't know about this. Afer the update I immediately installed Tweak2k2 and set the option for "Run as IE6" to bypass the many web site issues I encountered. I tested Google Maps/Directions with the registry hack via Tweak2k2 enabled after the update today and it ran perfectly.

dangerwit
07-31-2006, 08:01 AM
If you hold down the wireless button on the left, did it always toggle between silent/vibrate mode and ringer-on mode? If it did, then yay for me for catching up. :) 's cool anyway.

*Phil

MarcFou
07-31-2006, 08:22 AM
I suppose there is no going back huh? After everything was said and done my signal is now 1 bar when it used to be 5.

Also. My "G" icon is now an "E" icon. Can someone explain if there is any difference between them or what its actually for? Dumb question I know. Sorry and TIA.

KTamas
07-31-2006, 10:19 AM
Another surprising addition: ActiveSync (4.2) seems to sync faster than before! Does anybody else experience this?
Activesync is very fast for me too.

(Well, faster. Of course, 200 kb/s copying over AS should be a gazillion times faster because USB can do much more. But hey, it is AS, what do we expect.)

KTamas
07-31-2006, 10:21 AM
I suppose there is no going back huh? After everything was said and done my signal is now 1 bar when it used to be 5.

Also. My "G" icon is now an "E" icon. Can someone explain if there is any difference between them or what its actually for? Dumb question I know. Sorry and TIA.
E means EDGE, which can be from 0 to 100% faster than GPRS (depends on a lot of stuff).

MarcFou
07-31-2006, 10:28 AM
E means EDGE, which can be from 0 to 100% faster than GPRS (depends on a lot of stuff).Thanks for the info. So I'm guessing this ROM was aimed at bringing MDA's up to speed with TMO edge network. (Futher assumes E wasnt avail at the time the MDA was first distributed with WM5)

But again thanks.

KTamas
07-31-2006, 10:31 AM
E means EDGE, which can be from 0 to 100% faster than GPRS (depends on a lot of stuff).Thanks for the info. So I'm guessing this ROM was aimed at bringing MDA's up to speed with TMO edge network. (Futher assumes E wasnt avail at the time the MDA was first distributed with WM5)

But again thanks.
Actually, EDGE was available on the MDA from the beginning, you just didn't see it; you have to activate a registry tweak to see when you're using GPRS and when you're using EDGE; in the previous ROMs you had to do that manually, but now T-Mo activated that tweak.

MarcFou
07-31-2006, 10:43 AM
Oh ok. I remember seeing that regedit a few days ago but I didnt apply it because (until now) I didnt have a solid understanding of GPRS\Edge.

I havent used it yet. Only WiFi. I'm so used to sync n go with my Axim. Not too mention when I asked TMO about a data plan I was quoted 29.99 :roll: But before buying the MDA I asked a rep about email and web and I was told 4.99, and it turned out thats the text messaging package. Needless to say its disappointing. I like the keyboard for SMS, but otherwise I was happy with my Moto v360.

Live and learn. Maybe with some luck TMO will lower the price on the net package before the phone is outdated.

Eriq Cook
07-31-2006, 10:50 AM
If you hold down the wireless button on the left, did it always toggle between silent/vibrate mode and ringer-on mode? If it did, then yay for me for catching up. :) 's cool anyway.

*Phil

Sweeet! I didn't realize that feature was there. Thanks for the post!

Tony Rylow
07-31-2006, 01:07 PM
Downloading this now. At a whopping 15KB/sec. On my DSL. Guess everyone is busy downloading this one. Bah!

I've needed a good reason to reinstall everything on my device, since it has been acting funky for the last week or so. I've had to soft reset more in the last week, than I have since I got the device in March.

Vincent M Ferrari
07-31-2006, 01:12 PM
Using it this morning, I can say it's infinitely improved. I'm considering driving to work just to see if the signal reacquisition thing is fixed.

KTamas
07-31-2006, 01:13 PM
Downloading this now. At a whopping 15KB/sec. On my DSL. Guess everyone is busy downloading this one. Bah!

I've needed a good reason to reinstall everything on my device, since it has been acting funky for the last week or so. I've had to soft reset more in the last week, than I have since I got the device in March.
This mirror should be faster (ftp://xda:[email protected]/Uploads/Wizard/Roms/RUU_TMobile_US_226102_22610105_022511_WWE_Ship.exe)

Tony Rylow
07-31-2006, 01:25 PM
Anyone know if this contains the T-Mobile wifi appliction? And the IM app?

KTamas
07-31-2006, 01:27 PM
Anyone know if this contains the T-Mobile wifi appliction? And the IM app?
It contains both.

Vincent M Ferrari
07-31-2006, 01:27 PM
Indeed it contains everything that shipped with the MDA (and is updated in a few ways). Remember, this ROM is an official ROM from T-Mobile.

UPDATE: WOOPS My bad. I just realized I was talking about one file and the question was about another.

Sorry!

Ed Hansberry
07-31-2006, 01:38 PM
To be honest I don't think there will be an SDA update soon (I could be wrong).

Windows Mobile 5 is a larger and more feature-packed OS and therefore is open to more "software issues" than the SDA.

the SDA is Windows Mobile 5.

Ed Hansberry
07-31-2006, 01:40 PM

*Phil

:rotfl: apparently it did because my K-Jam does the same thing and I didn't know it. :oops:

scs_ppc
07-31-2006, 02:17 PM
This is a very stable update and it is AKU2.3 (14955.2.3.0) not 2.2. These are some of the fixes and updates it includes:

A2DP
MSFP for Direct Push
Vibrate fix for Direct Push Email
E for Edge (registry tweak)
New comm manager
New Hotspot login utility
Much improved GSM radio software

Check my posts here (http://www.mydigitallife.us/2006/07/tmobile_mda_tmo.html).

Jon Westfall
07-31-2006, 02:22 PM
It has a very slow boot-up and can also have some connectivity issues. I'd also like to have the push email. The Imate version of the same phone already have their update as well as the Cingular 2125.

Just to clarify, you're talking about the SDA, not the MDA, correct?

crispeto
07-31-2006, 04:01 PM
Sorry, yes it's the SDA that has a slow boot-up - not the MDA. Sounds like the MDA rom is going very well. Sure hope the SDA isn't far behind.

barmach
07-31-2006, 04:33 PM

What was fixed? What was changed?

scs_ppc
07-31-2006, 04:48 PM

What was fixed? What was changed?

Prior to the test 2.24 version, when you turned on Direct Push and selected vibrate for new emails, if the MDA was in standby the unit would not vibrate.

yawanag
07-31-2006, 04:51 PM
WHY ME???

I upgraded with apparent success, but now when I power on it freezes at the Windows Mobile window. On the title bar I have the date and time showing. I am wondering if this is the reason it freezes. I installed a program to show the time because WM5 didn't show it.

PLEASE HELP! I don't even have a START so I can go to settings or anything.

Ed Hansberry
07-31-2006, 05:35 PM
WHY ME???

I upgraded with apparent success, but now when I power on it freezes at the Windows Mobile window. On the title bar I have the date and time showing. I am wondering if this is the reason it freezes. I installed a program to show the time because WM5 didn't show it.

PLEASE HELP! I don't even have a START so I can go to settings or anything.

if that is all you have done, just do another hard reset and don't put that app on.

to get the clock, start, settings, clock, more and check the bos.

yawanag
07-31-2006, 06:24 PM
if that is all you have done, just do another hard reset and don't put that app on.

to get the clock, start, settings, clock, more and check the bos.[/quote]

I've tried to do that but the only way I know to perform a hard reset with the MDA is to go to Programs>Clear ? (don't remember the term) I did try pressing the power button and the reset button together but that doesn't seem to work.

Ed Hansberry
07-31-2006, 07:31 PM
I've tried to do that but the only way I know to perform a hard reset with the MDA is to go to Programs>Clear
that'll do it.

dckiwi
07-31-2006, 08:28 PM
I've tried to do that but the only way I know to perform a hard reset with the MDA is to go to Programs>Clear ?

Not quite... You can reset w/out getting into the device. From xda-dev:

"After installing Registry Wizard and tweaking stuff on my MDA Vario, my device rebooted and just stayed on the white screen displaying the operating system configuration screen. I couldn't do anything else with it - I thought it was dead! Having searched all over, I've written a piece about resetting your device here. The one that worked for me for this particular problem was method 3 (but I think method 2 works as well but I didnt have it at the time) PS I found that it happens when you change the default input from keyboard to something else. Leave it at keyboard and everything should be Ok. Registry Wizard is nonetheless a COOL program, just don't alter the keyboard setting. Hard Resetting MDA Vario There are different severities of hard resetting your MDA vario. Which one you use depends on what you are trying to achieve. If your phone is stuck and wont let you play, try the hard core resets (progress from method 1 (less sever) to method 3 (most severe). If it’s just a bit slow, try the soft reset. HARDCORE RESET 1 start>settings>system tab> Clear Storage This will still clear all your data and all the programs you have loaded onto your device. You’ll need to start all over again. HARDCORE RESET 2 I hold the Comm and Voice Button (top two buttons on the side) AND the camera button (bottom right). Keep them pressed in and hit the reset with your stylus. Keep pressed in and let go of the stylus. Release when you see the following message: PRESS Send to restore factory default, SEND is the green lift up phone button on the left It will do a brief format and restore to factory settings. HARDCORE RESET 3 If your MDA wont budge with HARDCORE RESET 1 or 2, try this: Enter Bootloader, - hold the "camera" (bottom right) and briefly press the reset button, don't release "camera" until you can see colour screen, connect USB cable, and start to re-flash the ROM (download the latest flash rom update from http://t-mobile.iris-global.com/download_manager_mda_vario.html SOFT RESET METHOD 1 This is the lightest of the reset methods. This is the one to use if you want to reset your device without having to re-install all your personal programs and data  Simply press the reset hole with your stylus on the right hand side of the MDA device."

yawanag
07-31-2006, 09:36 PM
DCKIWI

What do I owe you? Depressing the camera button worked for me. I told Ed that I am back on board, but I backed up the data using Sunnysoft Backup. I read that a lot of people had to resore everything again. I'm hoping I don't have to do that. I've got so much installed. I am thinking that the file that had the date and time locked on the toolbar may be lodged in the backup.

THANKS again. It's so good to belong to the PPCT Community where people care.

GadgetGirl
08-01-2006, 05:28 AM
To answer my own question from early in this thread, no, this update does not come with Java. It's really weird that T-Mobile US keeps pulling the JVM from their roms. I installed the Intent MIDlet manager, and it mostly worked. It freezes the phone if you view traffic maps in google local maps. The IBM MIDlet manager works better, even if it isn't as polished.

Other than the failure with SPB backup, there are no real problems with this new rom so far for me.

gnoochi
08-01-2006, 06:57 AM
I applied the new rom to my T-Mobile MDA and now wifi no longer works on my D-Link 614+ router. It's a 802.11b network. First time the device is able to successfully connect, but anytime I turn Wifi off then back on, it cycles from connecting to available. My router log looks like this:

Apr/01/2002 00:18:16 Wireless PC connected 00-12-F0-BE-1C-B4
Apr/01/2002 00:04:45 Wireless PC connected 00-09-2D-95-A4-3A
Apr/01/2002 00:03:36 Wireless PC connected 00-09-2D-95-A4-3A
Apr/01/2002 00:02:27 Wireless PC connected 00-09-2D-95-A4-3A
Apr/01/2002 00:01:18 Wireless PC connected 00-09-2D-95-A4-3A
Apr/01/2002 00:00:21 DHCP lease IP 192.168.0.102 to WM_Device_Name1 00-09-2D-95-A4-3A

As you can see, it assigns the IP the first time, but after that, the MDA continues to try to connect then it just cycles back to available. Has anyone else had this problem?

I've been with T-Mobile support for about 3 hrs and they're talking about doing an exchange since I have the joy of being their "first call about the new ROM".

Eriq Cook
08-01-2006, 09:20 AM
I applied the new rom to my T-Mobile MDA and now wifi no longer works on my D-Link 614+ router. It's a 802.11b network. First time the device is able to successfully connect, but anytime I turn Wifi off then back on, it cycles from connecting to available. My router log looks like this:

Apr/01/2002 00:18:16 Wireless PC connected 00-12-F0-BE-1C-B4
Apr/01/2002 00:04:45 Wireless PC connected 00-09-2D-95-A4-3A
Apr/01/2002 00:03:36 Wireless PC connected 00-09-2D-95-A4-3A
Apr/01/2002 00:02:27 Wireless PC connected 00-09-2D-95-A4-3A
Apr/01/2002 00:01:18 Wireless PC connected 00-09-2D-95-A4-3A
Apr/01/2002 00:00:21 DHCP lease IP 192.168.0.102 to WM_Device_Name1 00-09-2D-95-A4-3A

As you can see, it assigns the IP the first time, but after that, the MDA continues to try to connect then it just cycles back to available. Has anyone else had this problem?

I've been with T-Mobile support for about 3 hrs and they're talking about doing an exchange since I have the joy of being their "first call about the new ROM".

I'm not a fan of D-Link routers due to the many problems I've experienced. A recent issue: I installed a new D-Link router in our living room 4 days ago and my entire home network stopped working 2 days later for no reason (everything worked fine for 2 days after install). When I disconected the D-Link router, the home network started working again. When I power cycled the D-Link Router (unplugged and re-plugged) everything seemed to work ok again after that.

I've been able to connect my MDA successfully to the D-Link Router for the most part (I have two wireless networks in my house) and wouldn't blame it on the MDA. I think it's more of a D-Link issue, IMO.

dckiwi
08-01-2006, 02:00 PM
I backed up the data using Sunnysoft Backup

You might be out of luck restroing from the executable, I think the only backup software good for a rom update is sprite backup (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Needless to say, if you do need to re-install, it's a good time to get rid of junk and pplication bloat....

What do I owe you?

You're welcome! Glad to be of assistance.

Phoneboy101
08-01-2006, 11:57 PM
I applied the new rom to my T-Mobile MDA and now wifi no longer works on my D-Link 614+ router. It's a 802.11b network. First time the device is able to successfully connect, but anytime I turn Wifi off then back on, it cycles from connecting to available.

I was just about to update my MDA when I read your post. I also use the DI-614+. Which firmware version are you running in your router? I'm running 3.35. If you have an older version, you should update it. If not, I might hold off on updating my own MDA.

Thanks

Phoneboy101
08-02-2006, 06:42 AM
Okay, I couldn't wait to hear back on that DI-614+ issue. I updated the MDA. It doesn't work with the router. Oh well, I have others. BUT...

My MDA now supports bluetooth DUN! Holy Crap! I haven't seen that new feature mentioned. Apologies if it has been mentioned.

I'm thrilled. I was so sick of connecting the thing to my computer with a USB cable to use it as a modem when I'm in the field. It was so inconvenient that I didn't do it nearly as often as would have been nice. Problem - solved.

It works well so far. I'm getting the same 80 to 100K ish speeds I was previously getting from T-Mobile.

GadgetGirl
08-02-2006, 07:26 PM
My MDA now supports bluetooth DUN! Holy Crap! I haven't seen that new feature mentioned. Apologies if it has been mentioned.

I'm thrilled. I was so sick of connecting the thing to my computer with a USB cable to use it as a modem when I'm in the field. It was so inconvenient that I didn't do it nearly as often as would have been nice. Problem - solved.

It works well so far. I'm getting the same 80 to 100K ish speeds I was previously getting from T-Mobile.

Bluetooth DUN isn't new, it should have worked with the original ROM as well. Did your attempts to use it with the original ROM seem like they should work and not, or did it just seem like the feature wasn't there? I was using bluetooth DUN with the original ROM. I'm just curious. :) That's great that you have it working now!

heyday
08-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Can anyone who has loaded the new update confirm something for me?

I get about 60 MMS messages each day..... my MDA drives me crazy because you have to delete them one by one. There is not a select all or clear out messages option on MMS.

I was hoping this update would have fixed that....

heyday

Phoneboy101
08-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Bluetooth DUN isn't new, it should have worked with the original ROM as well. Did your attempts to use it with the original ROM seem like they should work and not, or did it just seem like the feature wasn't there? I was using bluetooth DUN with the original ROM. I'm just curious. :) That's great that you have it working now!

It wasn't one of the available BT services on my device. I didn't try very hard to find a way to make it work, since every rep I spoke with at T-Mobile said the MDA didn't support BT DUN. I shouldn't have taken their word for it. They never know much.

Phoneboy101
08-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Can anyone who has loaded the new update confirm something for me?

I get about 60 MMS messages each day..... my MDA drives me crazy because you have to delete them one by one. There is not a select all or clear out messages option on MMS.

I was hoping this update would have fixed that....

heyday

This is only a partial solution, but I just select all messages by holding "shift" while scrolling down the messages with the down arrow key, then hitting "delete"

I don't see any differences with the message app with the new ROM.

Phoneboy101
08-02-2006, 08:48 PM
I read here that the new ROM changed the MDA to display an "E" at the top when you're using an EDGE newtork (vs. always displaying a "G" regardless of whether you were on EDGE or GPRS.)

After installing the update, my phone still only displays a "G." I was pretty certain that T-Mobile is running EDGE here in Salt Lake City. My speeds average around 100K. I didn't think GPRS would go that fast, so I still think I'm getting EDGE, even though it's not super fast EDGE.

Do I need to change a setting to make it display the "E"?

gnoochi
08-03-2006, 12:34 AM
As part of my troubleshooting, I did update it to the latest firmware from the D-Link website, so that's not the issue. As for it being a D-Link problem - maybe, but it DEFINITELY works with the older ROM. I bought 2 MDAs, one for myself and one for my wife. Her MDA on the older ROM still works.

GadgetGirl
08-03-2006, 05:43 AM
It wasn't one of the available BT services on my device. I didn't try very hard to find a way to make it work, since every rep I spoke with at T-Mobile said the MDA didn't support BT DUN. I shouldn't have taken their word for it. They never know much.

Ah, yeah, naughty T-Mobile techs heh. I didn't do anything fancy to make it work.

As for E and G icons, you can check your registry key HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\RIL\EnableDifferGprsEdgeIcon. The new rom should have set it to 1 (with one of the extended rom cabs). From what I understand, GPRS can go to 171kbps, even though most realistic speeds are 30-50kbps. EDGE is supposed to have a max of 474kbps, with a typical of 100-170kbps on T-Mobile.

Phoneboy101
08-04-2006, 01:55 AM
Gadget Girl,

Thanks for the info. Could you give a brief description of what program you use to make reg edits, and how to do it? I tried Total Commander, but couldn't figure it out.

GadgetGirl
08-04-2006, 06:27 AM
I normally use Resco Explorer, it has a pretty nice registry editor addon. You can't beat the price of Total Commander though!

To get to the registry editor in Total Command, type in \\\registry\ in the address bar and tap enter. It should then show HKCR, HKCU and HKLM. You should be able to drill into the HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\RIL\EnableDifferGprsEdgeIcon key from there. (As a side note, you can type in \extended_rom in the address bar to see the T-Mobile customization cabs.)

Probably the easiest way to tweak these registry settings is to use the RegistryWizard gui written by a nice guy named Nico, http://forum.xda-developers.com/download.php?id=13042 . It is a simple interface to flip the registry key values.

jp2b
08-04-2006, 10:51 AM
I read here that the new ROM changed the MDA to display an "E" at the top when you're using an EDGE newtork (vs. always displaying a "G" regardless of whether you were on EDGE or GPRS.)

After installing the update, my phone still only displays a "G." I was pretty certain that T-Mobile is running EDGE here in Salt Lake City. My speeds average around 100K. I didn't think GPRS would go that fast, so I still think I'm getting EDGE, even though it's not super fast EDGE.

Do I need to change a setting to make it display the "E"?

Edge Network is only available to about 100 people per tower. It is accessed on a first come first use basis. Edge Network is not a guaranteed service or it would cost more. Edge is basically the next step in the generation of advancement and is needed to further upgrade the towers.

randyzon
08-04-2006, 06:15 PM
After the ROM update everything works as well as the 2.24 unofficial....except map4pda is now a "fatal error" loss. It doesn't appear to be compatible with 2.26.0.

http://www.map4pda.com

Phoneboy101
08-05-2006, 12:23 AM
Thanks, GG! You're my hero.

baddison
08-09-2006, 09:35 PM
Greetings, all.

This is my first post here. I stumbled upon this forum after doing a google seach.

On Friday, 8/4 I purchased a brand new Tmobile MDA. The rep told me to make sure I upgrade to the latest software release for this phone. So, I went home and installed ActiveSync 4.2 and immediately updated to the 2.26 os.

I have Exchange srv 2003, sp2 installed at the office, so I went ahead and enable Mobile services on the server, and then tried to set up direct push with the device.

I seem to be having some issues with emails. I have already opened a 3rd tier level support ticket, and while I sit here waiting for tech support to call me back, I thought I would enquire of you "experts" here.

1st problem:
Direct Push is supposed to be constantly syncing with my email server, right? Well, its not happening for me. Sometimes 10 or 15minutes goes by before my device will collect emails from my exchange server. Quite annoying when you have a pressing issue that requires a response "right away".

2nd problem:
I have a number of different POP3 email accounts that I want to use with this device. Among them is my POP3 verizon email account. It seems that each time the MDA goes out to get my email, the login screen pops up first asking for credentials. Since there are already asterisks in the password box, I just select "Save Password" and continue. But the "Save Password" is not saving the password....otherwise why does it keep popping up that screen before it goes out to get the email? And since I have more than one POP3 account, it keeps asking it for each account. Bothersome!

3rd problem:
I cant seem to get onto the EDGE network. My other co-workers who have the Tmobile blackberry 8700 (...and who all sit right beside me in this office....), they all have E on their devices. What's wrong with mine.

4th problem:
My msn mail account will not synchronize on its own. I have to log into msn messenger, and then hit send/receive to get any mail. I was under the impression that I could have up-to-date mail service with this new MDA regardless of POP, or IMAP, or Exchange, or any thing. Was I wrong?

Thanks in advance to any and all who attempt to assist me while I sit patiently and wait for TMobile tech support to call me back with a response to my ticket.

Bernadette