View Full Version : Mobile Printer for X51v

rookcnu
07-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Anyone know of a good mobile printer - the kind that clips to your belt - that will work with the X51v?

I have looked at the SiPix A6, but it seems to be a bit out of date and I cannot find any drivers for it to work with Windows Mobile 5. Does anyone know where to find these drivers? Or is there a better printer out there?

Thanks!

Sven Johannsen
07-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Well, considering the WM OS has no inherent printing support, you would be advise to decide what you are going to use to add that, and then look for a printer supported by your chosen solution.

I don't expect you will find SiPix drivers anywhere. Those printers haven't been current for years. It's even hard to find WM2003 support.

rookcnu
07-30-2006, 09:25 PM
you would be advise to decide what you are going to use to add that, and then look for a printer supported by your chosen solution.

Do you have any suggestions here? I know nothing about the offerings.

Thanks!

Sven Johannsen
07-30-2006, 10:59 PM
Hopefully menneisyys will chip in here. He is the most likely to have actually kept up and potentially reviewed the options. The last printing solution I had was HPs free one. It actually worked fairly well, but I don't believe it is still available and certainly hasn't been updated. There is JetPrint from the folks who bring you ClearVue, Westtek, but I don't have any experience with it. Clearvue is quite good though so there is hope.

There were a number of printing solutions, like PrintBoyCE, but I haven't kept up with whether they still exist or have been updated. There is one interesting product that I forget the name of but has an unusual concept. It lets you print to a file on the PPC, and then when you get back to your PC, it automatically prints those files via AS and an application located on the PC. Interesting idea, but not ever what I was looking for. I honestly just haven't had a big printing requirement from my PPC. It's usually good enough to transfer the file to a PC or even mail it as an attachment to someone who can print it.

I was a bit vague in my response because I didn't have any good suggestions. I did want to make sure you new that you aren't going to find 'Print' as an option in most PPC application menus, without some third party addition.

rookcnu
07-30-2006, 11:26 PM
I was a bit vague in my response because I didn't have any good suggestions.

No worries!

I was probably a bit vague myself by not describing the application.

Anyhow,... I am in need of this type of printer, because it will be used in a Point of Sale situation.

A person who operates it at an event - let's say out in a parking lot selling tickets - will need to print a receipt right there on the spot. That is why the need for the belt clip printer and print capabilities.

Thanks!

Sven Johannsen
07-31-2006, 03:28 AM
You started by mentioning you already have a Dell Axim. is that a requirement? I know there are POS systems built around PPCs and printers already available but they are verticle markets and pretty expensive IIRC. Heck a Police dept in a big city north of us actually has a POT (Point of Ticket) system with a PPC and a printer. The friendly officer taps a few things in based on your license and he prints you out a pretty and legible written reminder of the rule you violated.

You might try googling for Point of Sale and Pocket PC.