View Full Version : I dont have sp2, and i cant install activesync 4.1! Help!

Joelacrane
07-28-2006, 06:54 PM
I have windows XP corporate. It is not legal. Thats the simple truth. I know, "Windows is too expensive!" doesn't justify my actions, but i just cannot afford a copy of Windows. Please, give us a break microsoft! I plan on buying a new laptop as soon as Vista comes out. There. Happy?

Anyway, i just spent my hard earned money on an Axim x51v, and when i try to install activesync, it tells me that i need Sp2. I dont have Sp2, because my copy of Windows is not genuine.

So here i am with an Axim, no money to buy Windows, and no way to sync with Outlook.

Now what?

burtcom
07-29-2006, 03:51 AM
Easy ... now you save money.

And get rid of that SP1 -- unless you want an infested zombie machine. Install Linux on it.

Sven Johannsen
07-29-2006, 04:00 AM
Guess the only thing to do is steal a copy of XP with SP2. I do have a little trouble understanding how you can afford a new X51v but can't shell out $90 fo a legal copy of XP with SP2 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102059 ) Maybe you need Pro to connect to your illegal server, but otherwise.....

Joelacrane
07-29-2006, 04:17 AM
Because i use my Pocket PC A LOT more than i use my laptop! It is a much more valuable tool.

Even before you posted a reply, i was eyeing that copy of XP Home on newegg.com and thinking about it. 95 bucks after shipping is about the best deal i can find. I think i would go ahead and buy it, but Vista is getting pretty close to release...

I wouldn't steal a copy of Windows if it wasn't so doggone expensive... I know that Microsoft is a buisness and has to make money, but their prices are still a little too steep for me.

Microsoft Windows XP rules around 90 percent of the market. About 5 percent of the market are illegal copies, the other 5 percent alternate operating systems.

I have considered Linux, but it simply isn't as prevalent and easy to use as Windows is. Windows XP is a wonderful peice of software, but that price tag is just slightly overkill.

I'll let you know what i do.

(Seems that i am the ant today.)

MarcFou
07-29-2006, 05:11 AM
Regedit to spoof SP2

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows]
"CSDVersion"=dword:00000512

Just enter in a value of 512 then reboot. Note this has nothing to do with WGA and downloading from MS. Its only for when installing a program that checks for SP2. Such as MS PhotoStory etc.

Joelacrane
07-29-2006, 04:10 PM
Ah, yes, very useful for people who do not want to use Service Pack 2 because of program incompatibilies etc...

Don't worry Sven, i am planning on getting myself a true copy. First i just need to check the price at one more local computer store before i order it.

Sven Johannsen
07-29-2006, 10:48 PM
Out of curiosity, what did the laptop come with. You might be able to get an upgrade copy of XP cheaper.

P.S.

Because i use my Pocket PC A LOT more than i use my laptop! It is a much more valuable tool. I can understand that. I mostly ride a motorcycle, but I stole a car because I just don't use it that often and they are so darned expensive. I'm glad you are planning on doing the right thing, though. Hopefully it'll make you feel better. Overall it will be good for the product because MS will have to spend less time combating piracy, and can spend more time improving the product.

BTW, you really think $100 is overpriced? You not only get the OS, which most people don't even realize is a product on it's own, you get a web browser, media player, word processor (of sorts), mail and news readers, paint program, calculator, IM application, address book, some games, the ability to download a gob of extra software or updates from MS, etc. Altogether I think it's not a bad deal.

OK, off the soapbox. Good luck to you with your new PPC. I think you will like it.

Janak Parekh
07-30-2006, 12:16 AM
The other thing you should consider doing is seeing if you can get an academic discount if you're a student, either via your school's bookstore or online academic resellers. Between that and upgrade pricing, you should be able to find an affordable XP version.

And, do realize this will only get more and more prevalent, so it's in your interest to "go legal".

--janak

ctmagnus
07-30-2006, 02:00 AM
Plus the fact that XPSP1 support ends on October 10.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/support/endofsupport.mspx

All the more reason to become legit!

Joelacrane
07-30-2006, 02:16 AM
Well, I decided to call a couple of computer stores from work today while i was on lunch break, and i called my favorite one and he had XP Home Edition full install for $99.99. 100 dollars is way overpriced, but i think $99.99 is worth it. lol.

I am formatting the hard drive right now, it is at 88 percent. Should have selected quick format... 8)

I didnt really consider an upgrade, if i am going to buy an OS, dangit, i want the whole thing! Anyway, as soon as this thing is done installing, i am going to install firefox and go download some Nintendo 64 ro- NO just kidding!

Sven Johannsen
07-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Good for you. BTW, in this case the upgrade would have essentially been the whole OS. It would just have checked for the existance of a legal earlier version. Not like it just added bits and pieces.