View Full Version : GlabalSat GPS receiver and Axim X51v

bhagiratha
07-28-2006, 04:35 PM
I got myself a GlobalSat SD-502 GPS receiver for my Axim X51v running the laterst version of iGuidance. Is anyone using this unit and having problems?

I haven't been able to get this device to work with iGuidance v3. The light on unit is blinking, but no sat info is being generated.

Has anyone gotten this unit to work on a Dell Axim X51v?

since I got this GPS unit 2 days ago, it hasn't work. Tried all the serial ports from GPSinfo, none are generating SAT info.

HELP! am leaving for my trip in another week, and I need this to work.

Sven Johannsen
07-28-2006, 09:03 PM
OK, gotta ask. Did you pair the devices. Set the GPS to be discoverable and then discover it from the BT section on the X51, enter the PIN, etc? Then did you assign the GlobalSat an Outgoing (yes Outgoing) Comm port? That needs to happen before any app will see the incoming stream.

bhagiratha
07-29-2006, 12:13 AM
am sorry, but this is not a bluetooth device. This receiver fits into my SD slot on the PDA.

this is the unit I have:

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=127375

and how do I assign an outgoing port for this unit.

thanks

Sven Johannsen
07-29-2006, 03:51 AM
Whoops, should have looked it up or taken the hint from the model number. Don't need to set up an outgoing port then.

SD or CF GPSs generally look to the PPC like a new serial port. Can you look at the available serial ports with iGuidance or GPS Info, with the GPS out and with it in the slot. Is there a new one with it in? Does the PPC react at all when you put the GPS in. Does it ask for any drivers or anything?

Make sure the applications are looking at 4800 Bps, as that is what the specs say it runs at. Also on a first run, it can take a significant amount of time to get a lock. Does the manual say the blinking light you mentioned mean that it has a lock or is trying to get one? Be sure you do the initial stuff outside with a clear view of the sky.

bhagiratha
07-29-2006, 05:50 AM
I have pretty much done all that you mentioned. the manual says that the blinking light means "GPS position is fixed". But when I use the GPSinfo utility I don;t get any readings. the COM ports I see are:

COM1: Serial
COM2: IrDA
COM3: IrCOMM
COM4: GPSUART
COM5: BTUart
COM6:
COM7:
COM8: Serial_Class
COM9:

I read from this site below that I need to set in to COM4:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=16065&PageId=4

I have been trying that setting, living the PDA on for hours, hoping that I will get some sat readings. But no luck. I have done a factory restore of the Axim PPC and installed all the software for the GPS ... but northing!

Any other ideas! many thanks

GPS Info Ver: S-PPC-07-0511291
GPSDiskVersion: 1.33

Sven Johannsen
07-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Couple of things. Some you probably already did. Make sure only one GPS app is running at a time. WM5 does have a serial splitter for GPS, but it is neither on by default, nor consistant. Try each of the comm ports individually. If there is stuff coming in, i.e. the GPS says it has a lock, it should take no time at all to show up on a program.

Last, hop over to GPsPassion and pick up GPS Monitor http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/downloads.asp?id=1 it is a very basic utility that can scan all your ports at all baud rates looking for a GPS text stream (and that is what NMEA is) and will let you know where it finds it. GPSInfo does similar, but it couldn't hurt to try another.

bhagiratha
07-31-2006, 06:12 PM
Hey Sven,

I went ahead and remove GPSinfo and installed WinFast Navigator CE 1.1, which you suggested.
In this application it is given me this as the port reading:

GPS Protocol: NMEA
Port : ClientDriv COM4

where as for GPSinfo .... it was: "COM4: GPSUART"

Never-the-less, I got it to give me some reading and it worked for a few minutes, I was able to get into the car and drove with it working. But when I shut down the PDA and tried again ... it refused to work. I have tried rebooting without the card in, start the app., connect the gps.

I have tried booting with the GPS device inserted in the SD- slot.
Northing. It is really anonying me. Is there a proper way to start this thing working?

thanks again