View Full Version : Does it exist? GPS Coordinates = Serve Specific Audio file

jddsharp
07-27-2006, 03:40 AM
So here's what I'm looking for. A piece of software that monitors where the device is (via onboard GPS) and when it enters predetermined areas (defined by a point and an adjustable radius from that point) it serves onboard predetermined audio files on a media player. Does it exist? If not do you think it would be difficult to build? Potentially an add-on to a media player?

Thoughts?
Thanks!
James

Brad Adrian
07-27-2006, 02:30 PM
I'm not aware of anything just like that which is available to consumers, but it's the kind of application/system that advertisers have been talking about for several years. Location-based services is becoming the next big mobile thing, and location-based advertising seems like a potentially good fit.

It'll probably come in two flavors, both of which MUST be based on recipient opt-in. The first, which you describe, is in the form of an application that resides on the device, adverts and all. Then, at designated locations/times, a message is displayed. The second uses more of an over-the-air delivery of adverts, coupons, etc.

I think it's an intriguing concept, but it is also fraught with subtle challenges, most of the more social and cultural than technological. With GPS-enabled phones, it's now easier than ever to know exactly where a person's phone is.